g'day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogpearse

Reaction score
G'day, (i assume mostly) Gentlemen!
I've been distilling and making beer out of a can, and into a bottle for a couple of years now. I've mucked around adding extra hops, and hands full of chillis, and a few other ideas. I've made some pretty decent beers, and a few shit ones!
Shit beer doesn't worry me too much, i can always run it through the still and clean it up. ;)
I came across AHB in my search of conquering the art of AG. It seems like a bloody gem, with metric measurements! yay!
So anyway, I guess i'm going to head down the path of a 3 vessel brewery. I'll use my Still boiler for a HLT. It's 50L with 5000kw electric elements. An esky as a mash tun, and just need to work out a kettle.
I was going to use electric again, but most around here seem to use gas? Why is that?
Anyway, look forward to learning lots about this! They tell me AG beer and whiskey leaves everything else for dead, so i need to get into it!

cheers, -Mad Dog.

People use gas because it's far easier to get a rolling boil if you're limited to 10A sockets. Presumably you already have 15 or 20A so a high power electric element would be fine.

Welcome Mad Dog.
Talk of the forbidden arts here is a no no << just so you know.

Beer talk is however welcome.

I use electricity - but only for a 40 litre single vessel brewery.

Have you any software for recipe design? Helps heaps. Try Beersmith for example.

mstrelan said:
5000kw!!!!
Sorry! 5000w
5kW
mstrelan said:
People use gas because it's far easier to get a rolling boil if you're limited to 10A sockets. Presumably you already have 15 or 20A so a high power electric element would be fine.
Yeah, I've got a 15A plug on a 20A breaker out in the shed, plus my normal 10A circuit, so i can run up to 6kw at a time comfortably.
on 5kw, i estimate 40L from 65 up to 100 degrees would take aprox 20min. I reckon compared to a big gas burner that's slow, but should be alright?

indica86 said:
Welcome Mad Dog.
Talk of the forbidden arts here is a no no << just so you know.

Beer talk is however welcome.

I use electricity - but only for a 40 litre single vessel brewery.

Have you any software for recipe design? Helps heaps. Try Beersmith for example.
Thanks for the heads up indica! How much power do you use for your boils?
haven't looked into any recipe software yet, but beersmith does get a lot of mentions around the traps. I take it it's a good one.

Think the crown urn is just over 2kw.... Takes around 20 minutes to get from mash temp to boiling.

And yes Beersmith is great, learning curve but really helpful.

Crown urn 2.4 kw
If you mashout to 78 it doesn't take long after that to get to a boil.

As to rolling boil, never had any problems.

Latest posts

Back