G'day from NQ

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave2233

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'm Dave, I'm a 23 year old diesel fitter from a town called Collinsville in qld, about 80km inland of Bowen, I joined this forum because my olds bought me a coopers diy brew kit because I haven't shut up about home brew for years. I'm currently 3 days into my first brew which is supposed to be a clone of xxxx summer using a mangrove jacks kit, I decided to use the mangrove jacks kit after speaking to the home brew shop in Townsville about it, they say the mangrove jacks kit has a tropical yeast and can handle a little higher temperatures, although I seem to be controlling the temp quite well with the fermenter in a bucket of ice water with a wet towel wrapped around it (fermenter sitting at a steady 20c).

I'm jumping into this hobby with both feet because it's something I've wanted to do for ages, I've already got my next brew planned, I'm going to do a milk stout or a partial grain lager (depending what I'm able to buy this weekend).

I appreciate any tips or help anyone is willing to give and look forward to being a member here

Cheers guys,
Dave.

Welcome Dave, I'm a born and raised FNQ'er myself but I'm way down south now. Do you get over to the coast much? Good luck with the brewing, this site can probably help with most of your questions.

Lincoln2 said:
Welcome Dave, I'm a born and raised FNQ'er myself but I'm way down south now. Do you get over to the coast much? Good luck with the brewing, this site can probably help with most of your questions.
Thanks mate! I get to the coast all the time, probably once or twice a month. We have a beach hut in Bowen which we use on a regular basis.

Thanks for the welcome!

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Hi Dave
Temp control fermentation is going to make your biggest difference at this stage.
Work on that first the rest will come.
Nev
Hey thanks Nev, I don't have much faith in this first brew as I wasn't aware of how important temperature was until after I started the brew. As soon as I found out, i put it in iced water and then I ordered myself a aquarium chiller so I can sit my fermenter in an esky surrounded in foam with water in it and keep the water nice and cool and hopefully that will keep me going until I can get a keg king and a fridge to ferment in.

Welcome mate. I got started with a kit from HBW as well. The guys there are nice but they dont know much beyond kits and give pretty poor advice to be honest. They will get you brewing beer- just not good beer.

Also you wont clone anything with a kit- I know they have the list with all the popular beers and say a can of this, a kilo of that etc. but you will only clone an average homebrew. Not wanting to bring anyone down mate, just managing expectations.

Go and have a chat with the guys at the Currajong brew shop, they really know their stuff and stock a lot more in way of grains, fresh hops, yeasts etc. which you will find you will work towards as you progress. (No affiliation just a happy customer)

What you are doing with the esky etc. will certainly make your brew much better than it would have been without temp control.

You are on your way mate- welcome to the slippery slope of HB.

Droopy Brew said:
Welcome mate. I got started with a kit from HBW as well. The guys there are nice but they dont know much beyond kits and give pretty poor advice to be honest. They will get you brewing beer- just not good beer.

Also you wont clone anything with a kit- I know they have the list with all the popular beers and say a can of this, a kilo of that etc. but you will only clone an average homebrew. Not wanting to bring anyone down mate, just managing expectations.

Go and have a chat with the guys at the Currajong brew shop, they really know their stuff and stock a lot more in way of grains, fresh hops, yeasts etc. which you will find you will work towards as you progress. (No affiliation just a happy customer)

What you are doing with the esky etc. will certainly make your brew much better than it would have been without temp control.

You are on your way mate- welcome to the slippery slope of HB.
Thanks for the welcome mate. I was actually on my way to the currajong one when I saw the one near stocklands so I just decided to go into there. A friend of mine uses the one in currajong and says it's a great little shop, so I'll be checking that one out for sure.

Thanks again! :super: :drinks:

Latest posts

Back