Gay marriage law passed in NZ.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatwhat said:
Against Gay marriage I am! Against discrimination, i am against!! Guess this is not the forum...
If you're saying what I think you're saying I agree with you. But we'd be a bloody small minority.

whatwhat said:
Against Gay marriage I am! Against discrimination, i am against!! Guess this is not the forum...
f86656da01b649a4c50d1552b01bb113.jpg

There's really no thread available anymore for me to comment

Everyone likes bum.

Deep down inside.

Interesting looking at the whole celebrant thing for getting married, the marriage act says you have to have the phrase below said as part of the ceremony for it to be a legally recognised.
I'll have several gay friends and family members there and will feel like a bit of a prick having that read out on what should be a positive happy day, I'm sure they will have heard it at weddings previously and know its far from my opinion on the subject but still seems wrong.
Fair enough if the government aren't ready to make it legal yet (although long overdue I think) but don't force me to read a discriminatory sentence from the act(from 1961 no less)

"Before you Groom and you Bride are joined together in marriage, in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am bound to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are about to enter. Marriage according to law in Australia is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life"

OzPaleAle said:
but don't force me to read a discriminatory sentence from the act(from 1961 no less)

"Before you Groom and you Bride are joined together in marriage, in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am bound to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are about to enter. Marriage according to law in Australia is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life"
Cry me a river...

I worked with a heap of Philippino's a couple years back, there was one LadyBoy amungst them, he/she was better looking than the actual females.

Does this make me gay.

OzPaleAle said:
Interesting looking at the whole celebrant thing for getting married, the marriage act says you have to have the phrase below said as part of the ceremony for it to be a legally recognised.
I'll have several gay friends and family members there and will feel like a bit of a prick having that read out on what should be a positive happy day, I'm sure they will have heard it at weddings previously and know its far from my opinion on the subject but still seems wrong.
Fair enough if the government aren't ready to make it legal yet (although long overdue I think) but don't force me to read a discriminatory sentence from the act(from 1961 no less)

Yeah it's shit, but what are you gonna do? I'm sure your mates understand.

It's been a bit of a cringy moment at the last few weddings I've been to. Hopefully we get reform soon.

OzPaleAle said:

I don't remember that being said at my wedding last year...

I've been looking around to verify that it is required and everything I have seen so far has indicated it is.

Hopefully your right and its just a matter of finding the right celebrant who will omit it, maybe I can get them to say that bit in french\german etc or mumble it.
Probably in the scheme of things its not a big deal.

you could get the celebrant to preface it.

"currently, marriage according to law in Australia is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life"

True, that certainly takes the edge off the statement without turning the ceremony into sounding like a protest.
Thanks

OzPaleAle said:
I've been looking around to verify that it is required and everything I have seen so far has indicated it is.

Hopefully your right and its just a matter of finding the right celebrant who will omit it, maybe I can get them to say that bit in french\german etc or mumble it.
Probably in the scheme of things its not a big deal.
Or get translate them to read it out in Klingon
I'm not a trekkie, but I reckon it'd be pretty damn funny

Back