Gay marriage law passed in NZ.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those dirty rotten perverted........................OK I'm having a lend...................Sorry Dane but.........******* about time!......Now our turn I say!

bum said:
buddy-jesus-statue-300x300.jpg
bum said:
never seen such good use of the ps clone tool on jon english :p

Apparently Jesus was also a pot smoker:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/jan/06/science.religion

Anyway, religion has no place the marriage debate, whether gay or straight. Personally I would prefer if the government just scrapped the Marriage Act and gave civil unions the same rights as marriages. Because if civil unions are good enough for same-sex couples, then they should be good enough for straight couples. After all, equality works both ways.

If couples want to walk down the isle and do the marriage ceremony thing, then so be it but that shouldn't have anything to do with the governments business.

This brought me to tears. Didn't expect to see it here, of all the places I hang out on the net this is definitely the most blokey. I'm bi, and have many queer friends, so this is pretty close to my heart.

It upsets me that Australia is so far behind, and our leaders lack the vision or heart to make this important and humane change in our laws.

Yup, that's the one thing the same sex partnerships were missing...

...divorce. :D

Did anyone notice 1:52 into the first video, the awkward moment where one lady wanted a hug and the other lady just kept walking?

i can't ever seem to find an evidence-backed or sufficient argument not to allow gay marriage here. how does a GLBT person being married affect anyone else negatively? it doesn't. if you don't like it, don't get gay married, but you should not have the right to stop others enjoying the exact same civil liberties you're allowed based on sexual orientation or gender.

the church and any religious connection had no part of my wedding, but i wouldn't turn that away from someone who wanted it for theirs. same shit different smell.

Well, it deeply offends a great many people, actually - those people can go **** themselves, of course, but pretending that this is not the case isn't going to change anything.

Not sure why you think a culture needs to be evidence-backed.

from a debate perspective. i can't see anything apart from "it's offensive". well i'm offended by stuff...i just don't do that stuff.

That's you.

Which is the point, I guess.

true. but if the point that we aren't moving on that law is because we might be offending some people, is washy, at best.

Cultural and religious sentiments aside, take a moment to consider how completely illogical preventing equal rights in same sex marriage is from a legal stand-point. It wasnt even until 2009 that the government could even recognise de facto relationships. This caused major imbalance to social security and child support equality. Gay marriage should've been passed in the same wave of reforms. How does it make sense to now recognise same sex couples legally for some purposes and not others?

I liked Manticle's post because it sums things up well; only the power of the church and a handful of unreligious bigots are holding back progression. I'm married and don't have any gay friends; this is just about common sense and humanity to me.

fletcher said:
true. but if the point that we aren't moving on that law is because we might be offending some people, is washy, at best.
Add to them the MILLIONS of Australians who DON'T GIVE A **** and you've got a fairly compelling argument against the idea of change occurring any time soon.

Country is full of arseholes that think they should be happy that they're even allowed to be gay. A bit uppity of them to expect us to actually acknowledge the validity of their relationships too, innit?

iralosavic said:
I liked Manticle's post because it sums things up well; only the power of the church and a handful of unreligious bigots are holding back progression.
What world do you live in?

Homophobia lives in more hearts than Jesus does.

Are you arguing against change because of how you perceive things to be rather than because how you think they should be Bum?

I agree with what I think you are saying - that understanding people's attitudes is instrumental in making fundamental changes even if those attitudes are fundamentally opposed to change (or equally one's own perspective) but the end point should not be maintaining the status quo just because you understand why it is there at a set point in time.

To all others I ask 2 questions.

1. Does the marriage of two other people affect, in any way your marriage or your life as a whole?
2. Does your opposition to the marriage of two other people affect their marriage or their life as a whole?

No one person or institution has ownership over the concept of marriage. Stop caring about what others do when it hurts neither your life nor theirs.

manticle said:
Are you arguing against change because of how you perceive things to be rather than because how you think they should be Bum?
Are you hard of reading?

No but I did go to drink Ross' beer at the alehouse project and the last pint was so nice I had four so I may have misunderstood.

Two reasonably intelligent debaters can help each other understand a misunderstood point which may have been badly expressed as much as it may have been misread.

I'll look again tomorrow and see if you make any more sense than you did to me today. Don't pretend for a minute though that your actual expression of an idea is anywhere close to your intention, whether any or all of the time. Expanding on a point rather than condemning another's reading of it doesn't weaken your argument if your argument has any strength to begin with.

Back