Gas V Electric Costs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feck it all! Are you saying they're going to shove carbon into our electricity now? I want 100% pure and natural electricity, none of this stuff watered down with carbon. Carbon is a by product of cheese making you know and they are just getting richer by putting it into our electricity to make it go further. Scandalous!

;)

mate they have been putting carbon in electricity for years, thats why the ends of your fluro tubes go black.
:blink:

Bodily harm cost?

Gas maybe a burn
Electric stop your heart

Of course due care and caution would be exercised, but the risk is there.

I fill out a JSEA before even thinking about turning on my burner or element.

Im not going to get injured, and also get sued...

Sponge

I fill out a JSEA before even thinking about turning on my burner or element.

Im not going to get injured, and also get sued...

Sponge

Think of all the freeloaders that will drink all your brew at your wake....

How did this thread become a pissing contest?

The OP asked a question, the very first reply someone started banging on about the carbon tax and followed up later with more ill-informed rhetoric. It all went downhill from there.

For me, electricity is cheapest, simply because I have a solar system and produce more energy than we use.

Think of all the freeloaders that will drink all your brew at your wake....

If there are dangers that cannot be eliminated, isolated or reduced in my brewery, i will not brew.

Therefore, no beer for the freeloaders.

Sponge

PS. maybe on the raaaare occasion will i dare brew without a JSEA, but god help me that one time I get burnt/zapped and not have one complete.

Bodily harm cost?

Gas maybe a burn
Electric stop your heart

Of course due care and caution would be exercised, but the risk is there.

Shit! Most of my house runs on electricity - I'm too scared to go home now!

Actually, there's more electricity where I work.. I'm definitely going to die!

id be packing and leaving quick smart and catching the first bus to central aus.

:D
Hands off of your computer too! No more typing......

Don't you know it's plugged into the wall????

I'm gonna go make a coffee and see where this thread goes, with my laptop unplugged of course.
Oh shit, hang on, i need to use the kettle to make my coffee...

:D
Hands off of your computer too! No more typing......

Don't you know it's plugged into the wall????

I'm gonna go make a coffee and see where this thread goes, with my laptop unplugged of course.
Oh shit, hang on, i need to use the kettle to make my coffee...

Id be leaving the kettle out in the sun and hoping it gets luke warm at very best.

That, or walk to the nearest cafe.

Wear a minimum of 5" rubber platform boots at all times.

EDIT: yea, im well bored at work.

Under street lights and power lines!! Are you crazy??????

Watch out for predatory Prius's too.

Those Prius' really sneak up on you before running you down. I have an idea, how about we add noise to our electric cars so you can hear them.

Oh, and isn't using excess solar to brew the most expensive way to brew? Last time I looked, the buyback rate for electricity (the electricity you send back to the grid) is 3x the cost of them supplying it to you.
~23c/kw to buy
~60c/kw to supply

If you choose to use that excess electricity instead of supplying it back to the grid it is effectively costing you 60c/Kw isn't it?

If you choose to use that excess electricity instead of supplying it back to the grid it is effectively costing you 60c/Kw isn't it?

Just need to brew more to prevent excess electricity from ever occuring.

Energy used >= energy produced.

Glory days.

But on a more serious note, i thought the original buyers of the solar panels got rebated that much for providing energy back to the grid?

I could definitely be wrong here though since I didn't whole-heartedly look into it due to strata issues with an apartment block...

Those Prius' really sneak up on you before running you down. I have an idea, how about we add noise to our electric cars so you can hear them.

Oh, and isn't using excess solar to brew the most expensive way to brew? Last time I looked, the buyback rate for electricity (the electricity you send back to the grid) is 3x the cost of them supplying it to you.
~23c/kw to buy
~60c/kw to supply

;)
but if the buy back rate from what you send back is 3x what it costs for them to supply it to you, then surely you can't afford not to brew? The more you brew the more profit you make!

must look into this solar thing, i think i've stumbled upon some genius! Will give heaps more leverage and green lights from the mrs...

;)
but if the buy back rate is 3x what it costs, then surely you can't afford not to brew? The more you brew the more profit you make!

must look into this solar thing, i think i've stumbled upon some genius! Will give heaps more leverage and green lights from the mrs...

I looked it up, the Solar Feed-in tarrif used to be near 60c/Kwh but this changed and is now a minimum of 25c/kWh.

In NSW:

Code:
Customers who joined the Scheme on or before 27 October 2010 receive Solar Bonus scheme payments of 60 cents per kilowatt hour for renewable energy generated and exported to the grid.

Customers who joined the scheme between 28 October 2010 and 28 April 2011 receive Solar Bonus scheme payments of 20 cents per kilowatt hour for renewable energy generated and exported to the grid.

Applications to the scheme closed on 28 April 2011.

In VIC:

Code:
The Premium Feed-in Tariff started in late 2009 and has now closed to new applicants.

This scheme offered eligible households, businesses and community organisations with small-scale solar systems of five kilowatts or less a credit of at least 60 cents per kilowatt hour for excess electricity fed back into the grid.

More than 80,000 Victorian households, small businesses and community groups are now benefiting from the Premium Feed-in Tariff.

Existing solar customers that are on the premium feed-in tariff will continue to receive credits until 2024. Please be aware that it has been advised that any current Premium Feed-in Tariff customers that install additional solar panels, now the PFit scheme has been closed, will no longer be eligible for the Premium Feed-in Tariff. However, you may be able to apply for the new Transitional Feed-in Tariff.

So basically going solar is NOT WORTH IT any more...

Finland. 60 Euro!

The problem is your figure of $23 and my figure of 60 are meaningless in isolation, as they're simply the rate of the tax. Unless we also know the base of the tax, we don't know how "big" the tax is, we don't know the impact on the economy or the impact on individuals.

This means your assertion that Australia is is completely unsubstantiated.

What we do know, in Australia the rate is $23 t/Co2, imposed on companies that emit over 25,000 t/CO2 per year (the base). From knowing the rate and the base, we can extrapolate the likely impact. At the macro level some have estimated this to be an increase in CPI of 0.75% (as a comparison the introduction of the GST increased CPI by 2.5%). At a household level, the same study estimated it would add $7.87 p/w to the poorest 10% of households, $22.13 p/w to the richest 10% of households and an average of $13.18 p/w for all households. This is starting to tell us how "big" the tax is. Another indicator is that it will raise approximately $8 billion per year (although again this doesn't really tell us how big the tax is without knowing the size of the economy it was raised from).

Now lets look at Finland. 60t/CO2 is bigger than $23 t/CO2, but what does this mean. It means F-all!

60t/CO2 is the rate for traffic fuels. So we know that in Finland the base includes petrol, which is excluded in Australia. 30t/CO2 is the rate for coal and natural gas, except there is a 50% discount when used in combined electricity and heat production and no CO2 tax when used for electricity production. Again, the rate is higher and the base wider than in Australia, except in regards to electricity production. Overall the Finish carbon tax is quite complex, and can't be described as a single flat rate.

So what do we know?

We know in Australia that at $23t/CO2 imposed on companies that emit over 25,000 t/CO2 per year, it will raise approximately $8 billion, from an economy of $1.57 trillion, from a population of 23 million people.

We know in Finland, their various environmental energy taxes will raise approximately $5.5 billion, from an economy of $187.6 billion dollars, from a population of 5.4 million people.

So yeah, I think saying Australia has the biggest carbon tax in the world is pure bollocks and to name just one country with a bigger tax, I give you Finland.

Finlands appears to be a tax on fuel relative to emissions. Whereas ours taxes so much more such as council dumps etc due to their supposed emissions as opposed to the fuel they use. Ours is much broader therefore, I submit, larger.

Not in QLD either unless you buy your system tomorrow (last few days)

QLD Solar Bonus Scheme to be cut by 82%

now (very soon) = 8 cents per kwh...

http://www.cleanenergy.qld.gov.au/demand-s...onus-scheme.htm

The GOV sure have us over a barrel with our pants down..

carbon tax added but no reductions in carbon generated
and
no more solar credits or rebates

seems to be a way to dis-incentive going solar and reducing carbon ?

you would be a fool to believe that a carbon tax will actually result in lower carbon produced.
the GOV bailouts have already began for high carbon producers.... what a joke (or mugs we are) ?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/848869...or-alcoa-crisis

Only if your reasoning for getting the panels was to quit your job and become a Power Baron.

Pretty sure they still generate power you can use in your home but...

Only if your reasoning for getting the panels was to quit your job and become a Power Baron.

Pretty sure they still generate power you can use in your home but...

imo most of the production is during times we are not home or at work and using less power...

Latest posts

Back