Gas V Electric Costs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and 68% of Australians. You'll get to experience it soon enough. Don't like it then **** off. :)
Personally, I think the country would probably be better off without the ignorant fuckwits instead.

But I guess I'd be in the minority there...

And what pray tell would you fire the kettle with? not misplaced commas I hope.

Another mixture of gas and electric I guess, would keep brew day time down a bit. Anyone got a feel as to how much time would be saved?

Diggles

I think it is all going a little of topic here...

It is simple to me:

Gas is for homs, Electric is for the coolest of rad people.

If you need to much more, I will be in your town soon, check the website for tour dates!

:p

Which web site? Have you a link?

Do not ask him to post a link.

There's rules about that sort of thing.

And what pray tell would you fire the kettle with? not misplaced commas I hope.

Surely if you are going to nit pick people on punctuation, you'd get your capitalisation right?

If you do the maths even if you run a 2400 watt element for five hours that = 12 kilowatt hours, so that = 12 x 22c = $2.64 per brew. Now if you are like me and have to pay $37 for a 9kg bottle then electricity is way cheaper. However I like gas, I have brewed with electricity and also toyed with the idea of BIAB electricity, but just ike the idea of the wide spread heat of gas.

Myybe I am just have an antisocial disorder... now just to figure that out - 2 x braziers, 1 slow combustion heater, 2 x Texan offset smokers, 1 weber compact kettle. Yep must be antisocial disorder and proud of it. B)

Cheers
Gavo.

Why would you need to run the 2400w element for 5hrs? I allow 1hr for strike water heating and heating to the boil, then another hour for the boil. So 2 hours, or 4.8 kilowatt hours. 4.8 x 22c = $1.05 per brew.

Why would you need to run the 2400w element for 5hrs? .

Crikey it was just an point for example, not the literal hours required.

Diggles, I have brewed using a full electric system and gas, I don't believe there are any ill effects using electric elements (there are haps of successful brewers using full electric rigs), I just like using gas.

You probably could go and list the pros and cons of each, and cost is just one of them.

Cheers
Gavo.

Personally, I think the country would probably be better off without the ignorant fuckwits instead.

But I guess I'd be in the minority there...

No I'd suggest you could sit around in a circle with your other compatriots, contemplate your navel, weave baskets and sing kum by ya (apologise for not knowing correct spelling song) whilst collecting some form of government funding. Never fear your time to do so is just around the corner. People like me just won't have to pick up the bills anymore to let you do it.

The common sentiment on this site appears to be electric. Carbon tax will keep putting electricity and gas up. Renewable target will only keep putting electricity up.............
Your 80% figure varies greatly from state to state. So lets do what 68% of Australians want (Galaxy or Essential Poll) and **** off the Carbon tax and the renewable target and we will be 20% better off!
if anyone is interested:
http://www.aemc.gov.au/Media/docs/Informat...9f3149d3e-1.PDF
australian energy market commission retail price estimates.
5.7% of the increase due to carbon tax
3% due to renewable energy target.

if anyone is interested:
http://www.aemc.gov.au/Media/docs/Informat...9f3149d3e-1.PDF
australian energy market commission retail price estimates.
5.7% of the increase due to carbon tax
3% due to renewable energy target.

Not sure how old this is Liam but as of last week most states have the increase at more than this. Bottom line is though why we are paying the biggest in the world to make no discernable difference what so ever. None, Nil, Zip, Zero! Just politics to appease what is now a significant minority.

Figures fromn AEMC are estimates base on computer modelling which seems to be the norm in this argument. Models predict one thing then when the time comes the reality is different. GIGO (Garbage in Garbage out) I'm afraid.

I take it you're not in the bracket that's getting compensation Rowy...?

Look at the dates..............rest my case.

6 months ago. Big whoop.
People were busting out figures from their arses so I linked to something with some credibility, I thought you might find it useful. As you said, garbage in garbage out..

Bottom line is though why we are paying the biggest in the world to make no discernable difference what so ever. None, Nil, Zip, Zero! Just politics to appease what is now a significant minority.
also, bottom line is this:
both major parties have agreed to the same cut in emissions by 2020.
the current government is going to do it with a market mechanism, the LNP want "direct action" whatever that means. Either way it is going to cost something. Framing it as if the greens have us by the balls is completely incorrect.

To be honest no but it makes nowt difference to me it's an issue of principal. My two elderley parents, who unfortunately own their own home have worked out their budget and it's not good. Electricity, Rates etc. :angry:

If it was going to make a difference I'd run with it. Look at Spain and see how their clean energy future helped them! The whole green job thing is a crock and Europe has proven it to be so.

isnt electricity like 70c a KW??? Cant be effed geting the last bill out but sure it was close to 70c. How do you get it for 22c?

To be honest no but it makes nowt difference to me it's an issue of principal. My two elderley parents, who unfortunately own their own home have worked out their budget and it's not good. Electricity, Rates etc. :angry:

If it was going to make a difference I'd run with it. Look at Spain and see how their clean energy future helped them! The whole green job thing is a crock and Europe has proven it to be so.

I'd suggest that europe's financial problems are not related to green energy but due to bad financial management. Maybe I'm wrong though, you are the expert after all.

isnt electricity like 70c a KW??? Cant be effed geting the last bill out but sure it was close to 70c. How do you get it for 22c?

It'll be seventy by next year :eek:

In all seriousness if possible, you should be around 21c to 28c, depending on how much you have used etc etc.

Latest posts

Back