Gas check valves with MFL fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonhead

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen gas check valves, with 1/4" NPT to 1/4" MFL fittings on them, sold in Aus?

I can see quite a few available in the land of the obese and free, but nothing locally (or even via China in fleaBay/aliexpress).

For reference, here's what I'm looking for - https://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843680.htm

Idea being I use these on my gas manifolds, make the gas hoses removable without needing to resort to the god awful push in fittings.

Try Lancer. Part number 79605509

It is a 1/4" NPT x 1/4" Barb. I know that this is not precisely what you are looking for, however I suspect they do stock them with the MFL thread you seek as well, I just can't find the part number in my catalogue.

Lancer are notoriously unhelpful to the HB market, so this will at least give you a starting point if they try to bat you off.

Good luck!

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
they are available from a few places in australia.
let me figure out where i bought the last one.

You may already know this, but it may be worth mentioning that the cracking pressure for the checks in these types of valves can be all over the shop. So sometimes, if you are running several gas lines from the same manifold it can prove to be more of a bother than the pesky push fittings.

Not such a bother at higher pressures, but if you are sub 15 psi / 105kPa - can be an issue. YMMV.

$0.02

Well done Barls, and at a good price too. Noted that it doesn't seem to have the check valve?

You may already know this, but it may be worth mentioning that the cracking pressure for the checks in these types of valves can be all over the shop. So sometimes, if you are running several gas lines from the same manifold it can prove to be more of a bother than the pesky push fittings.

Not such a bother at higher pressures, but if you are sub 15 psi / 105kPa - can be an issue. YMMV.

$0.02

True, I run 4 lines from single splitter set up but have gas disconnects with the check valves. (good investment, no beer in gas line problems/cleaning). But had to increase psi serving pressure from 10 to 14, but works very well every time. ( ie no continual readjustments once you find what suits).

$0.02

Yeah, I've noticed that as well, right pain in the ass.

Have a look in Keg King and search "manifold". You can get the tap required for $7.95 which has a barb on one end but this screws out and can bereaved with the connection required for $2.95.
http://kegking.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=Manifolds

Sorry, not following here. What's the other connection going to those manifold taps?

Very nice, better than I could find. Will probably just need to see if they have check valves...

Sorry, not following here. What's the other connection going to those manifold taps?

You unscrew the barb connection to the shut off tap and replace it with the connection, thus providing what your after. On the same page of Keg King is a manifold with the shut off taps, they have barbs for the gas line, change them over with the connection stated.

where ever it was it was a drop down option on what fitting you wanted on it and it was one of the sponsors i think but can't remember or find it now.

I agree, if you use check valves, it pays to set the reg about 5psi higher than you normally would, otherwise your beer never carbs.

You unscrew the barb connection to the shut off tap and replace it with the connection, thus providing what your after. On the same page of Keg King is a manifold with the shut off taps, they have barbs for the gas line, change them over with the connection stated.

Right, so you take the standard ball vales with check valves like these here - http://kegking.com.au/1-4-inch-ball-valve-with-check-valve.html and replace the barb that's screwed in with this? http://kegking.com.au/brass-1-4inch-mfl-x-1-4-npt-1-4-bsp.html

I wasn't aware that was replaceable, I'll give it a look next time I'm at Kegking...

For carbing kegs I ended up fitting a 3 way valve to the outlet of my reg.
One way for carbing that has a 20+ psi crack pressure check valve, tube and disconnect fitted. The other goes to the kegs this ensures no beer into the reg / line when carbing due to the higher crack pressure on the check valve. Also saves me from disconnecting the online kegs when carbing. Works well makes carbing the beer easy, I've just left the carbing line and disconnect coiled and hangs over the reg and cylinder.

For those following along at home, it appears those barbs screwed into the check valves are not designed to come off... The look like they've got some adhesive on them. Combined with how soft the metal is mean you just end up chewing up the nut instead of loosening anything.

DSC_0469 (Large).JPG

Back to the googler!

I have made some enquiries on your behalf. Waiting to hear back from a couple of suppliers. How many are you looking for mate?

EDIT: Have you looked at inline check valves with barbs? My phone is carrying on like a trained seal at the moment, but when it is recharged I will edit this post and put up a pic of what I am talking about. You would then be able to use a standard shut off valve...

Stand by...

Chudnow_Relief.jpg

Apologies for shite pic. (I still have a phone with a dial :( )

This is a 10mm one, but they are available in 6mm as well. Would just need to look into cracking pressure. Manufacturer is Chudnow in the US, but available from suppliers that service the soda industry.

If this is of interest, I will investigate the crack pressure for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back