Galaxy And Simcoe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Well, got 180gms of Galaxy on the way from Ross and I have some simcoe in the freezer, from past experiances galaxy gives a pretty big whack of passionfruit, and so does simcoe, allthough both of them have completely different other qualities, for example I found galaxy had a big earthy spicyness to it, and simcoe has more of a pine resin thing going on... :icon_drool2:

Just wondering if anyones done a beer with simcoe and galaxy together?? If so what was it like?

Ive never used Simcoe... Im picking some up next week I have wanted to brew with for years. I was under the impression it was a manderin kind of flavour.

yea i got told it was an "orangey" flavour as well. my local HBS just got simcoe in (good on ya dave!) so i'll be brewing this week i reckon.

have an all galaxy esb on tap now, going to do the same with simcoe (all simcoe apa) just to see what its fully like then start mixing it up a bit.

yea i got told it was an "orangey" flavour as well. my local HBS just got simcoe in (good on ya dave!) so i'll be brewing this week i reckon.

have an all galaxy esb on tap now, going to do the same with simcoe (all simcoe apa) just to see what its fully like then start mixing it up a bit.

simcoe and cascade for me!

I also want to try it in a BITTER instead of challenger!

There both got similar AA% I think it was NickB that was saying it has a sharper bitterness then galaxy.

I have a galaxy and cascade bright ale in the keg. VERY happy with the way it has come out. The cascade is a staple and always hard to dislike, and in this beer the galaxy has added a whack of fruity passionfruit to the flavour. Balances well with the bitterness etc. Great hop. Hopefully will become an Aussie classic. Imagine how good it'd be if it sold for the same price as POR!

Im a galaxy fan....

my hopburst created with the help of you TD.... was galaxy, nelson and cascade. It was fantastic and I will brew it again. Im conflicted with the hop Nelson I want to like it more then i actually do. I think the galaxy balanced the dominate flavour from the nelson. Nelson is a wierd hop as I find it sweet but it can have a wicked bitterness to it also!

Ive never used Simcoe... Im picking some up next week I have wanted to brew with for years. I was under the impression it was a manderin kind of flavour.

IMO I wouldnt say simcoe has a mandarin flavour, thats more Amarillo, Simcoe for me has allways given off a pungent passionfruit and piny aroma/flavour :icon_drool2:

Im gonna have to brew it, maybe throw some Amarillo in as well :icon_drool2:

Have a pale with galaxy and cascade which has come up yum.

And just got some simcoe from Ross.

Hmmm... I have some galaxy left over too, Simcoe and Galaxy eh? Might be interesting.
A bit like drinking a tropical fruit basket.

Hopper.

I couldn't agree more re Nelson Katie. After trying it in several brews I have decided I am not a fan. Its a very strange flavour. I think it needs more "bite" to balance the OTT fruit salad flavours. It was interesting to try but I won't be buying it again...

I brewed this for the NSW case swap, check the thread for tastings, but overall it was pretty well recieved.

Gibbos Trans-Pacific IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/05/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Gibbo
Boil Size: 30.29 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.20 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 3.3 %