Gage Roads 'sleeping Giant' Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got around to trying one of these tonight. It's actually not a terrible beer. The metallic thing mentioned previously is quite prominent in the aroma and to a lesser extent in the flavour but you do acclimatise pretty quickly to it (well, I did anyway). Much nicer malt profile than I expected from a beer at this end of the market - not amazing, of course, but more than serviceable. Bitterness is smooth but firm (even if a little more subdued than I'd like) and the hop flavour is pleasant enough but nothing tremendous. All things considered it's a beer I'd buy again happily enough if Woolworths was my only beer option.
Having one of these right now (first since the post above) and the metallic thing is really forward now. Most unpleasant. The maltiness is reduced and the bittering (while still not huge) is pretty rough. There's a minty/menthol heat in the alc now too. Never have I had a commercial beer that has swung so wildly in quality in such a short time.

Just had one and mine tasted great.

I had one last week, hop aroma was fairly low - slight floral/ earthy just after pouring, after that i got lots of caramel / toffee , same on taste buds, the bitterness was smooth but IMO lacking , failing to bring balance to the toffee malt i was getting, which i enjoyed at first, but after a while became a bit slick and cloying like i was eating a caramel pudding or something, which left a funny taste in my mouth , i guess that could be the metallic thing others are getting?

Not something i will go out of my way for again, but all in all a serviceable beer.

Severely lacking in the bitterness dept for my liking don't recall a metallic taste though one 6 pack was enough for me. No real desire to revisit.

I have generally had some in the fridge as an 'in the middle' beer for mates who are not hop addicts. I do enjoy it, don't expect it to be the best thing ever, and chase it with a Punk IPA. I might have to do a 50:50 mix and see if I can finally balance the Punk.

I picked up a 6er from a BWS a few weeks ago for a BBQ at a mates place.

Wasn't that impressed, but I rarely am with bottled beer here is Australia. Nice malt, bitterness a bit metalic, I don't think I would buy it again unless there was nothing else at the bottle-o

From this artilce today on microbrewing.com.au

Though Gage Roads IPA has been around for years, it only recently reached its peak. Head brewer Aaron Heary said that expanded facilities and a new approach last December gave his team the chance to brew our English IPA as a bigger beer to impress the real craft brew enthusiasts. The brewers are incrementally sliding up the bitterness level of the renamed Gage Sleeping Giant as befits the style of English India pale

I wonder how far they will slide up the bitterness level. It'll be interesting to follow over the next year or so.

I don't mind this beer. It's not what i'd reach for if I wanted an IPA, but if I have to buy something from BWS, I usually grab this or their Wahoo. It's pretty sessionable for an IPA.

:icon_offtopic: Wahoo has got to be one of the worst beers I've ever had

:icon_offtopic: Wahoo has got to be one of the worst beers I've ever had

Interesting. I have only bought it twice, both times already under the influence, looking for more booze! :D I recall it not being too bad (for my palette). How long ago did you have it?

Have you had a beer that DIDNT gush?

Yeah?

Have you had a burn that hit the mark?

Wahoo cops a fair amount of flak on AHB, but I reckon it does the trick - the trick being that I can split a 6'er or a slab with a TED drinker and neither of us spit it out. Despite being an ale, it tastes to me like a VB/MB/CD done right. Not that that is a ringing endorsement, but it's a reasonable party quaffer. Especially as I don't feel like I'm missing anything necking it from the bottle (sometimes asking for a glass at a house party is a bit much.) Of course now I'll just take my own, but if needs be it works!

Chime in, ALL gage road beers are rubbish and desrve to be on the floor at Aldi`s.

I'm going to have to try one now just to see how shit it is.

wahoo isnt to bad for what it is.tastless yellow beer any one can drink without finding any thing offensive about it.

I actually have bought and enjoyed wahoo a couple of times. It does the job it sets out to do.

Latest posts

Back