Fridge Is Too Small!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron23

Reaction score
I just picked up a bar fridge off ebay, only to find that the makers website measurements neglected to mention a huge bulge for the compressor. In short, my 30L fermenter wont fit in, the door wont close by about 3-4cm.

Ive been thinking about just putting some masking tape around the edges to seal it in, Or is it possible to remove the door and extend the front of the fridge, Any advice on what to use for this, the tape method or how it might effect the motor. Im eager to get this first brew going today, I have been planning it for over a month now!

-Iron23

Is it just the shelves on the door that are the problem??
You might be able to remove the plastic moulding from the inside of the door and give yourself some more room.

Cheers Stu

Bugger!

Can you ferment in something else, 20L cube with blowoff tube, a smaller barrel fermentor from big green shed, or similar?

I would not be taping around the door or removing the door for that matter - you may end up overworking the fridge as it will be trying to compensate for the extra losses if not sealed and insulated adequately.

Firstly, I would look at what aven19 suggested, is there another shaped vessel you can use? I suppose next would be to rip out the door trim and all those butter shelf things (if it has them). Other than that, it'd be a see you next tuesday job, but you could make up a collar, like the chest freezer boys do when convering to a kegerator. That's all I got ATM

Ive taken the shelves out, so they arnt so much of a problem, here are some photos, its just a few cm to much for the doors to close.

here are two pics attached, At the moment my plan is pretty much to try and seel it up with alot of masking tape.

Fridge1.jpg
Fridge_2.jpg

Turn the fermenter to the side to the tap is not sticking out (can't see if there's room to do this from the photo), then remove the inside door - there are screws hidden behind the door seals. Unscrew these and pull out the inner plastic. You can then bolt on a piece of something waterproof if you wish (I didn't on mine).

Alternatively, see if a jerry-can style cube will fit in sideways.

Cheers

I'd whack it back on ebay, try and make a profit on the sale, then buy one of these (you can find them for around $50 and the freezer is removable making it the perfect size for a fermenter)

Edit: the same fridge is also sold as a mistral as well

Iron,

If you built up the floor of the fridge to the height of the compressor hump you would be able to push the fermenter further back.

Just not sure there will be enough height in the fridge. Bit hard to tell from the photo.

I have the same fridge by the looks of it, Bunnings fermenter fits in there snug

Iron,

If you built up the floor of the fridge to the height of the compressor hump you would be able to push the fermenter further back.

Just not sure there will be enough height in the fridge. Bit hard to tell from the photo.

Thats a fair point... can you remove the freezer from the fridge? If you used gladwrap instead of an airlock, you might have enough clearance.

Too short for it to sit ontop of the compressor im afraid. I do like the sound of removing the door moulding and putting some external insulation in. Still looking for the screw though.

http://www.fisherpaykel.com.au/product/ref...698FF3B3A1D78F1

Theres the model, Looking for schematics elsewhere.

Floating floor + maybe shifting that tiny freezer (its only on one side is it?) is what came to mind. Would it help your height issue if you got rid of your lid and airlock and replaced it with gladwrap?

Generally in Bar Fridges (well mine anyway) the freezer is what cools the entire fridge. Personally I'd be very hesitant at moving it at all as it would be extremely easy to damage the gas pipes. I'd look at the internal door shelf removal I mentioned above.

Iron, with the fridge I did the screws were way under the seal. Bit of a pain to do, but should give you the necessary clearance I reckon!

Cheers

Generally in Bar Fridges (well mine anyway) the freezer is what cools the entire fridge. Personally I'd be very hesitant at moving it at all as it would be extremely easy to damage the gas pipes.

Cheers

Nick is correct. The freezer is what cools the fridge.

Some people have bent / flattened out the freezer to give more room but as Nick said, it is risky.

If it goes wrong you may end up with a very expensive, insulated cupboard.

Thanks, I think At the moment my plan will have to be getting an old floor aircon to keep the room as cool as possible during the day, and find thoes screws and rebuild the door. Ive taken the seal off looking for them but they arnt there, Im thinking that it might just be glued on, Ill keep looking and if I cant find them Ill pry it off haha.

Thanks for the advice, I intend to get this first brew started by the end of the day.

P.s, the fridge was just over 60 bucks, So i wont be devastated if something goes wrong, Although I'm still $60 lighter so Id sure like it to all work

No worries mate, not familiar with that brand but mine were beneath the seal. As you say, may just be glued on there!

Good luck with the brew, and put in your location in 'my controls' - may find a local to help with the fridge or the brews!

Cheers

Knife off the door shelves if need be (I recently had to to be able to fit two jerries into one fridge).

Personally I'd be looking into a 25L cube and seeing if it fits ontop of the hump and clear of the freezer if pushed up against the other side, make sure it's turned so the tap is under the freezer and you may just be right.

Latest posts

Back