Fresh Ginger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
I want to do a beer with ginger and chilli in the next few weeks, nothing too special 100% BB ale, NB to bitter. I'm just wondering how many people have used fresh ginger in their beers and what quantity is not over the top.

cheers!

I want to do a beer with ginger and chilli in the next few weeks, nothing too special 100% BB ale, NB to bitter. I'm just wondering how many people have used fresh ginger in their beers and what quantity is not over the top.

cheers!

I recently brewed a beer like this for the first time. I used 100% BB Ale, bittered to 10 IBU using Stella, and added 500g of fresh ginger (smashed up in the food processor) to the boil 15 minutes from the end. This was for a post-boil batch size of 30 litres. The result was a little light on ginger flavour, so I'm currently drinking it with more ginger in the randall, which is just about perfect. Next time I'll add more to the fermenter. I didn't use any chili.

I've got a bottle of pure capsaicin in the fridge i've been thinking of spicing up a beer with....hmmm.... I've used fresh ginger, a whole kg of it. It was out of control and tasted like i could have mad a good 100L of ginger[esque] beer cordial with it.

drinking a ginger beer right now that was 100% jw ale and 1.5 kgs of ginger in a 20 litre batch. very nice but no need for a chilli addition, its got plenty of heat without it, although the addition of some lactose at kegging did bring down the heat level and increse the ginger flavour.

drinking a ginger beer right now that was 100% jw ale and 1.5 kgs of ginger in a 20 litre batch. very nice but no need for a chilli addition, its got plenty of heat without it, although the addition of some lactose at kegging did bring down the heat level and increse the ginger flavour.

thats where i was hoping to go with it beerhog. The chilli was something i have always done with my kit GB's. and i'm not kegging just yet ;)

I've got a bottle of pure capsaicin in the fridge i've been thinking of spicing up a beer with....hmmm.... I've used fresh ginger, a whole kg of it. It was out of control and tasted like i could have mad a good 100L of ginger[esque] beer cordial with it.

wow, where does one come across pure capsaicin then ay?

To my imagination 1kg ginger doesnt seem too crazy, how/when did you use it? My experience is only with diced ginger into the keg so im wondering how processes effect the "ginger" qualities?

It'll be the boiling rather than the processing making the larger contribution. Processing would have some effect though, I guess, with greater surface area exposed to the beer.

Back