Free open course on the chemistry of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I signed up too. The idea is great but I don't know if I'll have the staying power to see it through.

I have joined the AHB group as well. 17 of us now... a lot more interest than I expect when I posted.

+1

This lecturer is probably shittin` bricks about this large Aussie group that is swarming over his cushy online class ;-)

JB said:
Thanks very much OPA. I was going to get in & do something similar. Cheers mate!
Tried to see if there was a way to post it to the AHB Group on their portal but doesn't seem to be a facility to do a bulk email to the Group, only by starting a chat with whoever is online at the time.

From the General Chemistry forum:

https://janux.ou.edu/#!forums/u/CHEM1315.ou.nextthought.com/Forum/What_are_you_looking_forward_to_this_semester_in_chemistry_

Mark Movant - All Future Beer Students

The base level knowledge you will need to understand the course is Organic Chemistry I. The Chemistry of Beer course will look at the compounds in the ingredients and how they are transformed into beer. It would be helpful to know the functional groups, organic structure notation, acid-base mechanism, nucleophilic substitution, and resonance structures. Although the course is an upper division course, we are taking the approach that many of the students may only have a limited knowledge of organic chemistry and biochemistry. This course is a nice review and should be helpful as a resource for the Chemistry of Beer course.

I have also joined up, haven't done any organic chem since 2nd year uni. But let's see how we go, could be fun. :beerbang:

Cheers for posting this - just signed up, same details as here.

Here's hoping full time work and a German Language course don't get in the way!

Cocko said:
How do you join a group?
Go to the group tab when you are signed in. Down the bottom left is a button for join group. The group name is AHB and the password is phbkRjJTJzN

RelaxedBrewer said:
Go to the group tab when you are signed in. Down the bottom left is a button for join group. The group name is AHB and the password is phbkRjJTJzN

Sorted, :icon_cheers:

I'm in too. I've been looking for something like this for a while. It'll be nice to get a better understanding of what is happening in the kettle and fermenter.

I'm in, probably drop out though. Too busy drinking and partying with the frat boys.
Cheers
LB

I signed up last night too. Will see how I go as I dropped out of all my science classes in high school. If I'm not there on the 13th I'll probably be down the back of D block smoking choof.

Anyone figured out how to start a chat with the whole group? Or can you only chat to people who are actively online? Alternatively, can you start a forum topic for a specific group?

LagerBomb said:
I'm in, probably drop out though. Too busy drinking and partying with the frat boys.
Cheers
LB
It's all lies! When I went to uni I was promised beer and half naked women and drugs :beerbang: , all I got was a bunch of geeky engineers simultaneously drooling and running away from anything with even close to two x chromosomes. :icon_drool2:

stienberg said:
Anyone figured out how to start a chat with the whole group? Or can you only chat to people who are actively online? Alternatively, can you start a forum topic for a specific group?
On the group page, there's a drop down menu / arrow with 'chat with group' as an option

Latest posts

Back