Forum needs to be active so let's talk political.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there may be many Greens and so-called 'Teal' voters who will get buyers' remorse. Can't criticize people for getting jaded and bailing out on the major parties. But at the end of the day they are the only ones who can deal with the broad spectrum of policies in all portfolios. They've been doing it forever. If you are after change, I think you're better off trying to effect change from within the status quo. But that's not cool enough for a lot of disenchanted younger voters.

Anyway, don't feel bad about buyers' remorse with the Greens. Imagine being a Tory voter in the UK and waking to find that BoJo has man-boobs like this. And the nipple definition! And the legs! My God, I'd want my money back.

1656400243855.jpeg

Here's a blast from the past. Ex-PM Tony Abbott in a wide ranging chat, both reflective and forward looking, with Nigel Farage over a couple of pints.

Nice lacing on those glasses too. But disappointed old Tony only has one sip. Now if it was Hawkie giving the interview...

I'm sure this will present a balanced and and fair assessment of the topic (just like all Breitbart publications )........
Geez, pot, kettle, black.
Nothing very “fair” or “balanced” in you shooting the messenger before you’ve even heard the message. The movie is not even released yet. You evidently don't access points of view that don’t align with your own You’re not alone there.

Maybe the progressive CNN is more your cup of tea. This is on the same topic but from back in March, (finally, after they had buried the story for years).

But for a more robust account here’s Tucker Carlson a few days ago on Fox News laying bare the wounds that may sink the Bidens and perhaps Obama too (and Hillary will be all smiles). This issue is not going away.

(gets on topic after the 2:20 min mark but watch it all, classic Tucker)

(or should that be doco?)

Absolutely, and not at all a hatchet piece. And zero conflict of interest there. I mean, in terms of journalistic integrity, Breitbart is second only to FOX news and InfoWars.
And if that wasn't enough, the producers are nonother Ann McElhinney and Phelim McAleer who exposed anthropomorphic climate change for what is back in 2009 - a HOAX!!!!!

I'll probably binge watch it with 2000 Mules..

An old acquaintance lives in a bunker in Arizona near the Mexican border. Breitbart and OANN are too leftist for him, and Fox is part of the Islamo-communist menace along with CNN. So he trawls the Internet for stories about the imminent execution of Hillary, Hunter and many others at Guantanamo, Though deadline after deadline has passed, he never gives up hope.

For the rest of you, I ask, Who will first be indicted by a real court for a crime: Joe, Hunter, Barack, Hillary, Bill or . . . Donald?

That's a news account. I went to relevant conferences in those years and never heard what that snippet suggests. Predictions of the climate made in the 80s and 90s have generally been spot on. One researcher in the area worked on background cycles. Going by those, he predicted that in the absence of human effects, there would be a slight decline in global mean temp until 2025-30, then a rise. Add in human effects, and the shit hits the fan after that.

I recall a poll taken at an international arctic sciences workshop by politics students at the U of Colorado (I'd worked on climate and historical population changes using digitised Icelandic records). There was a preponderance of climate scientists there giving papers on change due to carbon emissions. Guess what? They were not a bunch of lefties. Many came out of conservative backgrounds. Many of the Americans were former Republicans; the GOP abandoned science, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Geez, pot, kettle, black.
Nothing very “fair” or “balanced” in you shooting the messenger before you’ve even heard the message. The movie is not even released yet. You evidently don't access points of view that don’t align with your own You’re not alone there.
Hardly the pot calling the kettle black.

Merely highlighting that Breitbart doesn't have a great history of balanced or fair reporting. They push a very conservative agenda, with lots of dubious evidence presented (but you're right, I have seen this one, although going to Breitbart's prior record I don't hold out much hope). I put them in the same basket as Fox.

The left side of the media often aren't much better (particularly in the USA)

I'm staying out of the climate debate.....

Among the major US news outlets, look at MSNBC and Fox. Before 2016 I would partly agree that each slanted the news. Each had a news group that arranged headlines and chose reportng language to make a point, and an opinion section. Fox had a larger set of rightwing commentators than MSNBC (including Rachel Maddow) had lefties, but each had token reps on the other side.

Since then Fox has steadily grown worse in its news reporting, and many formerly employed there have quit in protest. Its base demanded they fire anyone who did not toe the line, and they did. MSNBC never carried out a comparable purge; Kudlow quit for greener pastures on the right. After the 2020 election Tucker Carlson at Fox made the unforgiveable error of saying the POTUS election was not stolen. His ratings crashed. he corrected, switched to highlighting a crime by a Black nearly every day, and went to the top of the ratings. He and much of the rightwing phalanx in the opinion section now repeat outright, unverified lies taken from social m,edia, Youtube, 2000 Mules and the like.

Last edited:
That's a news account. I went to relevant conferences and never heard or read anything like the 10 year window as stated above (pobably misstated). Predictions of the climate made in the 80s and 90s have generally been spot on. One researcher in the area worked on background cycles. Going by those, he predicted that in the absence of human effects, there would be a slight decline in global mean temp until 2025-30, then a rise. Add in human effects, and the shit hits the fan after that.

I recall a poll taken at an international arctic sciences workshop by politics students at the U of Colorado. There was a preponderance of climate scientists there giving papers on change due to carbon emissions. Guess what? They were not a bunch of lefties. Many came out of conservative backgrounds. Many of the Americans were former Republicans; the GOP abandoned science, not the other way around.

Among the major US news outlets, look at MSNBC and Fox. Before 2016 I would partly agree that each slanted the news. Each had a news group that arranged headlines and chose reportng language to make a point, and an opinion section. Fox had a larger set of rightwing commentators than MSNBC (including Rachel Maddow) had lefties, but each had token reps on the other side.

Since then Fox has steadily grown worse in its news reporting, and many formerly employed there have quit in protest. Its base demanded they fire anyone who did not toe the line, and they did. MSNBC never carried out a comparable purge; Kudlow quit for greener pastures on the right. After the 2020 election Tucker Carlson at Fox made the unforgiveable error of saying the POTUS election was not stolen. His ratings crashed. he corrected, switched to highlighting a crime by a Black nearly every day, and went to the top of the ratings. He and much of the rightwing phalanx in the opinion section now repeat outright, unverified lies taken from social m,edia, Youtube, 2000 Mules and the like.

And this is why we cant have nice things. Devolution into a cynical echo chamber of bias and populism - on both sides - has now made almost impossible any form of rational civilised conversation.

Trump vs Harris in 2024? Now that would be a right sizzler..

Devolution into a cynical echo chamber of bias and populism - on both sides - has now made almost impossible any form of rational civilised conversation.

@yankinoz was making the point though that it’s a false equivalence.

Sure both sides have moved further from the centre. But the progressives have moved a few steps to the left. The right* have gotten into their car and driven a few suburbs in the other direction.

*Not sure what to call them. They’re not conservatives, don’t have enough ideological consistency to call them the right. More anti-progressives…

*Not sure what to call them. They’re not conservatives, don’t have enough ideological consistency to call them the right. More anti-progressives…

'alt-right' is what I think they call themselves, but don't ask me what it means

I see on Farage's tv channel that a lot of the hosts are talking about re-nationalising utility companies. Corben would be proud.

@yankinoz was making the point though that it’s a false equivalence.

Sure both sides have moved further from the centre. But the progressives have moved a few steps to the left. The right* have gotten into their car and driven a few suburbs in the other direction.

To my mind just a bees-dick this side of fascist...

To my mind just a bees-dick this side of fascist...
The rank and file are already there. All the movements need to qualify are better organisation (they're working on that), effective leaders (Trump's too lazy and stupid, Bolsonario's just too stupid), corporatist economies (arguable--Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy were more like kleptocracies), and control of information.

Back