Former tenant red IPA - Modus Operandi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mall,
How does it compare to the commercial Modus Operandi - Former tenant red IPA?

I had an original in fridge and did a side by side comparison....When I do again, I will delay the Magnum to probably 20 mins as it came out a touch bitter which might have hidden some of the maltiness compared to the original...but not overly.

An excellent clone all the same!!

Had another can of this one on the weekend, and reminded me to get around to brewing this one up!
Has anyone else had any success with tweaking this one??

I've emailed BYO magazine as they will often contact breweries on behalf of home brewers to get some tips on brewing particular beers.

Have sent them a snapshot of the description from MO's website, fingers crossed!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170812-091106.png
    Screenshot_20170812-091106.png
    967.6 KB · Views: 274
I dry hopped my double batch yesterday, though the smell out the spunding valve suggested this was total overkill. 300g each Mosaic and Centennial in a double batch. Smells frickin delicious.

Drinking this now. It had a harsh grassiness to it straight out of the kegmenter, but then settled down by the next day. It's perhaps slightly too bitter, and this will probably become more obvious as the hop aroma dissipates.

But, it's a fricking delicious brew and I'm really enjoying it fresh.

What changes would you make to your recipe? I'm a very big fan of this beer and would love to replicate it some time! MO FT uses cascade, mosaic and galaxy - the choice of mosaic and centennial in the above recipe doesn't seem in line with the original so with that in mind; cascade/mosaic in the boil and then finish with mosaic/galaxy in the cube/dry hop perhaps? How about that malt profile, looking good in terms of colour/body?

I can't compare it to the Brooklyn or the MO beer as I've never tried them.

But, as a beer that I've brewed and drunk, I'd offer the following comments:

The malt bill seems good. Decent colour. Don't have a good photo but it's got a nice red hue to it. Holds itself well against the hops but is in balance.

I did all of the late addition mosiac/centennial as one addition at 5 mins to simplify my brew day.

I would consider reducing or eliminating the magnum 60 minute addition entirely. I would maybe make the mosaic/centennial addition at 10 mins to compensate for the reduced IBU's from eliminating the magnum and see how that goes.

I was sick when I first tasted it so my nose wasn't quite right, so I was getting no aroma which was probably altering my perception of the balance. It's not too bitter by any means, and it's very fresh in the keg so still settling down.

I took it to the brew club on Saturday and a few people commented on the bitterness and agreed with what I suggested above as something to try next time, but everyone enjoyed it as is. No comments on accuracy of the clone.

I have this cold conditioning now however the FG was a little higher than I expected. Target was 1.013 and it has finished at 1.020. Will end up coming in at 6.5% instead of the required 7.8%. I suspect I should have mashed a little lower than the 67deg that I used.

What temp did everyone else mash at?

I think this is still going to be an incredible drop as the aroma coming off the fermenter after dry-hopping is divine.

I have this cold conditioning now however the FG was a little higher than I expected. Target was 1.013 and it has finished at 1.020. Will end up coming in at 6.5% instead of the required 7.8%. I suspect I should have mashed a little lower than the 67deg that I used.

That there is a yeast problem, not a mash temp problem. Mashing at 67 isn't going to make you end up 7 points higher.
I'd be looking at yeast pitch rate, oxygenation of the wort, and fermentation temps/ramping towards the end of fermentation.

That there is a yeast problem, not a mash temp problem. Mashing at 67 isn't going to make you end up 7 points higher.
I'd be looking at yeast pitch rate, oxygenation of the wort, and fermentation temps/ramping towards the end of fermentation.

I pitched 2 packets of re-hydrated US-05, not great oxygenation however this has never been a problem with finishing too high, and ramped up to 20Deg near the end of ferm.

Not sure what else it could have been.

67 is fine. my recipe says 66.7!
I've done a few batches ok. US-05 is pretty reliable as well. Old yeast maybe?

I pitched 2 packets of re-hydrated US-05, not great oxygenation however this has never been a problem with finishing too high, and ramped up to 20Deg near the end of ferm.

Check thermometer calibration

What did you hold it at for most of primary ferm before ramping? How quickly did you ramp it?

Back