Former tenant red IPA - Modus Operandi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would want to be a f*(king awesome beer for $40. most of us could brew a whole keg of something similar for that price.

Coodgee said:
It would want to be a f*(king awesome beer for $40. most of us could brew a whole keg of something similar for that price.
Its up there with Pirate Life IIPA IMO!! And similarly priced!! Hence why I want to try source a recipe for it.

FWIW, I went halves with a friend in a case of this beer and now I have 8 X 500ml cans to love , Ok... to drink.

Maybe I can work on a recipe from there, or more likely just to consume and enjoy.

Coodgee said:

Coodgee, it really is an awesome beer and I recommend you buy just one can.

This was my favorite IPA last winter.
I'm just a newby to brewing but I'd love to have a crack at it.

how about:
Pale Malt 72%
Caramel/Crystal Malt 23%
Munich Malt 2.5%
Chocolate Malt 2.5%

Hops
Galaxy 1.09 gpl boil 60

Cascade 1.09 gpl boil 10
Galaxy 1.09 gpl boil 10
Mosaic 1.09 gpl boil 10

Cascade 1.5 gpl steep 10
Mosaic 1.5 gpl steep 10

Cascade 1.7 gpl dry hop 4 days
Mosaic 1.7 gpl dry hop 4 days

Yeast
#US-05 2 packs?

on my setup it shows 64.6 IBUs, 38.8 EBC, 7.08% ABV (but I'll probably get 7.6%)

Looks good but suspect your caramel/crystal is arse about with the munich? Switch those around and you will be there abouts.

Yes go 2 pkt US05.

Droopy Brew said:
Looks good but suspect your caramel/crystal is arse about with the munich? Switch those around and you will be there abouts.

Yes go 2 pkt US05.
Thanks DB,
Thought the caramel crystal would be good for body & head.
Whats the reasoning on upping the Munich? This brings the colour back a bit 35.7 EBC and slightly more orange hue I think.
I haven't tasted the MO IPA for about 4 months and I doubt my experience in brewing would be able to pick it anyway.
how about the hops? what do you think?
i was thinking to mash it as a mid body - I remember the MO IPA didn't taste too sweet.

You do NOT want 23% crystal in an IPA (can't think of any beer that you would want that much xtal in, actually). In an IPA you'd want to keep it under 10% for the crystal malts - they get too cloying otherwise.....

2cranky said:
how about the hops? what do you think?
I've never tried this beer, but judging by the description on the website, I would remove the early galaxy and mosaic. I wouldn't even do any early additions. Maybe some cascade at 20 to up the IBU, then a shitload of cascade, galaxy and mosaic at flameout with just galaxy and mosaic for dry hop.

Red ales Ive done Ive used up to 15% crystal. Mixture of Munich & Victory 10% (Jamil - BCS) and P/Choc to colour.

Did you ever put this brew on and if so how did it turn out?

I love this beer and I'm hoping to have my new Guten here for the weekend, hence looking to welcome it with a worthy brew and a MO FT clone would be perfect!!!

Leyther said:
Did you ever put this brew on and if so how did it turn out?

I love this beer and I'm hoping to have my new Guten here for the weekend, hence looking to welcome it with a worthy brew and a MO FT clone would be perfect!!!
yeah not yet. i was hoping for a bit of robust discussion to develop the recipe.
I'm a bit of a noob so I am stumbling about in the dark really. The light brews I think its pretty hard to make a mistake that makes a shit beer, but the bigger beers I'm not so sure. Doing a version of Janets Brown & a big IIPA this weekend so they will be my first big beer brews.

how about:
Pale Malt 72% 71%
Caramel/Crystal Malt 23% 40L 5.2%
Munich Malt 2.5% 19.4%
Chocolate Malt 2.5% 1.9%
Caramel/Crystal Malt 120L 2.6%

Hops
Galaxy 1.09 gpl boil 60

Cascade 1.09 gpl boil 10
Galaxy 1.09 gpl boil 10
Mosaic 1.09 gpl boil 10

Cascade 1.5 gpl steep 10
Mosaic 1.5 gpl steep 10

Cascade 1.7 gpl dry hop 4 days
Mosaic 1.7 gpl dry hop 4 days

Yeast
#US-05 2 packs

CHAMPION AUSTRALIAN CRAFT BEER IN 2014, THIS BEER IS BURSTING WITH AROMAS OF
PASSION FRUIT AND MANGO DUE TO A HEAVY HAND ON THE MOSAIC AND GALAXY DRY HOPS,
THIS RUBY RED IPA HAS A COMPLEX BLEND OF CITRUSY HOPS AND SAVOURY CARAMEL MALT FLAVOUR FOLLOWED BY A SLIGHTLY SWEET FINISH. 7.8% ABV

Former+Tenant+ingredients.jpg

BKBrews said:
I've never tried this beer, but judging by the description on the website, I would remove the early galaxy and mosaic. I wouldn't even do any early additions. Maybe some cascade at 20 to up the IBU, then a shitload of cascade, galaxy and mosaic at flameout with just galaxy and mosaic for dry hop.
yeah i still need to work on the hops.

Here is the recipe for 5am Saint by brewdog. It has the same grain bill minus the wheat and the chocolate. When you look at the order of the malts on the MO website, wheat and chocolate are last - a hunch but I reckon they order them by percentage used so you could adjust the 5am saint grain bill and scale up to give you something more appropriate for this beer.
I have brewed that 5am saint recipe and it is delicious as is but in order to clone the former tenant beer you may want to have a play and add the wheat and chocolate malts.
Given the previous comment about the ibus being on the low side for an IPA maybe keep the ratios of the 5am saint recipe the same?

View attachment 5AM Saint.pdf

5am-saint.jpg

Modus-Operandi-Former-Tenant-Red-IPA.jpg

Ferg said:
Here is the recipe for 5am Saint by brewdog. It has the same grain bill minus the wheat and the chocolate. When you look at the order of the malts on the MO website, wheat and chocolate are last - a hunch but I reckon they order them by percentage used so you could adjust the 5am saint grain bill and scale up to give you something more appropriate for this beer.
I have brewed that 5am saint recipe and it is delicious as is but in order to clone the former tenant beer you may want to have a play and add the wheat and chocolate malts.
Given the previous comment about the ibus being on the low side for an IPA maybe keep the ratios of the 5am saint recipe the same?
Had a couple of the 5am Saint last night! :)
might have to do a side by side :chug: :chug:

Actually I might just re-brew the 5am saint beer and change out the hops to cascade, mosaic & galaxy. I have a few heavier beers on the go at the minute so something less punchy might be the ticket.

Ive drank them both but IMO the MO is far nicer, I just think they've nailed that balance between the sweet malt and the hops perfectly. I think with a homebrew this is going to be the problem.

The Home Brew 5am Saint was pretty good, but different. The 5S is only 5%. the MO IPA is 7.8%
Think i need to go a bit mental with the late additions.

Hi Guys,

Have been following this one with interest, as the MO is one of my favourites at the moment.

Looking to brew it up this weekend - this is where I've landed. - Keen to hear any suggestions:

Title: RED IPA
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Specialty IPA: Red IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.053
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)
No Chill: 20 minute extended hop boil time
Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 7.57%
IBU (tinseth): 60.93
SRM (morey): 22.52

FERMENTABLES: