Foam on top of wort without adding yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad81

Reaction score
Hi All,

Friday (5 days ago) I made a 28L double batch and added 7L of cooled boiled water to each vessel.

I was going to aerate the wort tonight, and pitch, yet upon inspection, I find that there is a layer of foam in each vessel.

IMG_20130828_173632.jpgIMG_20130828_173638.jpg

Recipe is a galaxy pale ale.

Can I rectify this (eg add the Nottingham and hope for the best), or should I be tipping this out?

Vessels were given a good wash with a brew wash and a healthy number of squirts of starsan before adding wort, then closed up with glad wrap and O ring since.

Feeling pretty shattered at this point....

Do you mean you poured fresh wort into those fermentors five days ago and are only now thinking about adding the yeast? Looks like something else has decided it looks tasty. How's it taste? Maybe you've captured a tasty wild strain :) . Maybe you haven't :( .

looks like a wild yeast infection to me from pics. I think leaving it so long before pitching is the cause. It is advisable to pitch yeast as soon as possible after the wort has cooled so the main yeast gets going before any wild yeasts.

Yep, been a busy weekend and they were at 22deg on Friday night, so I left it to come down. Season 4 of Fringe has been pretty nuts.

I'll give it a taste - sweet, malty with a tang (can only assume from this point that it is from the hops)

It hasn't been aerated, does anyone recommend pitching the Nottingham?

My brother put me onto fringe and watching first season. Not bad so far. But I'd put my beer first. That's what utorrents for.

If it's tying up valuable fermentors I'd tip it and nuke the crap out of them. Or let it go, feed it to your mates once they're pissed and call it a lambic!

Personally don't see much point in adding the yeast now as its obviously already fermenting. I'd leave it and see what happens, Pretty close to how beer was originally brewed anyway, taste have probable improved a lot since then though. Just wait and see. In future pitching at 22 is a lot better alternative than leaving 5 days

I think I might be lacking the patience/space/equipment for a lambic.
Seriously 2 years in a vessel?

Added the Nottingham, see what happens in 2 weeks, gravity has only dropped 1pt from 1046.

I think they meant you already have the lambic characteristics. I figure go with what Camo6 said. You're mates probably won't know what real lambic is supposed to be like (hell, I'm a beer geek and I don't). If they don't like it, give them the "What's the problem, lager boy? Too much flavour?" line :p.

EDIT: I should add that I actually love a well brewed and fermented lager but just didn't appreciate it until after I learned how to brew.

What's the worst that can happen? You're probably going to bin it anyway. Just let it go and see what eventuates. Stranger things have happened. :beerdrink:

I've been meaning to try a simple (aka, cheap) batch of beer left to ferment with what's in the air.

Does anyone still do this?

What sucks is if you'd posted the first pic in the infections thread you would have got "looks fine to me."

I've pitched @ 22-24*c a fair few times when it's getting late, I've had too many beers and I've had the immersion chiller running way too long. Not ideal practice but the freezer ferment chamber brings it down pretty quickly and too be honest, my palate's not that sensitive (or maybe I'm just not that fussy). Unless you no chill, pitch as soon as you can.

You chilled a wort on friday and went to pitch today? I'm surprised you needed to start a thread but hopefully you learnt something.

Might be a dominant strain of yeast in your brewery so taste and see.

Just out of interest, Brad81, have you brewed and then pitched yeast five days later ,before ?
I know your feeling shattered , but you just learnt a very valuable lesson.I'd also suggest you research no chill before you go too much further.
Next time it will be better....
Ferg

Let it ride!

Obviously whatever has kicked off (most likely some form of lacto) is going to do its thing. If it is lacto it will die off earlyish (lacto hates alcohol + hops) and the notto will finish it off. But it could be anything, it might even be notto if you used it previously?

Your pallet is going to be your best friend in this case. But to be on the safe let it sit post ferment for awhile, just to keep an eye on the gravity it gets to!

Thanks for all the feedback/encouragement/stern teacher looks :)

No I have never left it this long before pitching, always been within 24 hours. Time, laziness, other activities took over. Yes it is a lesson learnt for sure!!

I've successfully no chilled before, have just never adjusted the hop schedule to compensate.

I tasted it earlier, it did taste fine. The smell was something I am not used to, so I'm not sure if it was anything I had used previously. It did not stink like a lager, yet it did not smell as nice as an ale when it ferments. Not unpleasant, just different.

Gravity had only dropped 1 point in each vessel.

I also know, that when I do a stack more reading than I have tonight, I might actually brew a lambic one day.

I appreciate all of the input provided!

+1 for the articles Liam

Soooooo, you probably shouldn't be waiting up to 24 hours to pitch either. I would be no chilling if immediate pitching after chilling is an issue.

Thanks for all the feedback/encouragement/stern teacher looks :)

No I have never left it this long before pitching, always been within 24 hours. Time, laziness, other activities took over. Yes it is a lesson learnt for sure!!

I've successfully no chilled before, have just never adjusted the hop schedule to compensate.

I tasted it earlier, it did taste fine. The smell was something I am not used to, so I'm not sure if it was anything I had used previously. It did not stink like a lager, yet it did not smell as nice as an ale when it ferments. Not unpleasant, just different.

Gravity had only dropped 1 point in each vessel.

I also know, that when I do a stack more reading than I have tonight, I might actually brew a lambic one day.

I appreciate all of the input provided!

+1 for the articles Liam
Sorry m8, I could not believe what i read in your first post especially after seeing that you were a "Beer God"
and after reading what you just posted here i am a little more puzzled. I don't think it's ever been more than a minute before i have pitched and got lid/gladwrap on and FV put to bed.

Latest posts

Back