Fizzy Nd

• Thread starter unclebarrel
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS: if I may add, the generalisation comment was at a few things....

I've used the dry yeasts too, NOT anything close to a genuine nice hefe. A muted one. Perhaps. That's what I call well intentioned bad advice.

I still think "bad advice" is a bit harsh....wb-06 is used the world over with many people, including myself, reporting terrific results. Couldn't it just be that you had a bad experience? It's not like I'm the only home brewer highly recommending it to anyone asking how to make a weizen-style beer. And the fact it's $5 and you can just pitch it dry speaks for itself. If you don't like the hefe it made, that's fine, and you should tell people such, so they know not everybody who tried it loved it. But calling it bad advice when I recommend it to someone based on my positive experiences just seems a bit unfair. Why not just say "carniebrew obviously likes it, but I don't, I much prefer xyz?"

I don't know how much hefe/dunkel/wit you've consumed, but it's my favourite style, always has been. There isn't a beer on page 5 & 6 of Beer Deluxe's menu that I haven't had at least twice, many of them a lot more. So it's not like I don't have anything to compare my wb-06 hefe's and dunkels to. In many cases the wb-06 make a more 'tart' beer, but I just happen to like tart.

Enough said, I'll take the generalisation stab on board for future posts.

Pretty sure once you try a few liquid hefe (like the weihenstepaner) yeasts you will begin to consider WB-06 as a great fallback. I always have a packet or two in the fridge.

You did state WB-06 "a perfect dry yeast for authentic wheat beers". That is where the generalisation comment came in, I believe.
The term wheat beers in itself is a generalisation.
WB-06 in an American Wheat authentic? Not.

Ok, fair enough. I did say it was the perfect "dry" yeast for authentic wheat beers though....not the perfect yeast. I don't know what an American wheat beer is...is that a style in terms of BJCP? I've always thought of wheat beers as weizens/dunkels/wits etc...none of which are American.

I should start saying hefe or dunkel weizen instead of just 'wheat beer', point taken thanks.

I have a big dick too !!!

Back off carnie fellas.
His opinions are his opinions,yours may differ but who really cares !?!?!

NewtownClown said:
Sierra Nevada Unfiltered Wheat Beer
Three Floyds Gumballhead

BJCP 6D
Thanks. Had never come across them before. Sounds like wheat malts fermented with US-05 or other American ale yeast. Interesting. I'm an SN fan so will keep an eye out for that.

Is cool ur cool mate. Just a beer forum, very good one though.
I've been called out on a few less than fully thought out things I say too, most times gives me something to learn. Like, I don't quite like weihenstephaner hefe. I love their dunkel. I like Schneider Weisse, I detest schofferhoffer. It's all personal preferences but its quite nice to put them across like that especially to noobs so you don't unnecessarily bias them, your/my palate might not pick something up, others' may...
Anyway, I know you got my point, I pretty much got your's too.

PS: uncle, big ocean :) Sie ist korrekt.

Mmmmm weihenstephaner hefe :)

Best to call them weizens or something carnie ;)

You have Belgian wits too, and Aussie wheats.

A weizen yeast for authentic hefes ;)

(FWIW, I've always been impressed with WB06, perhaps a bit more subtle than some of the liquid strains but definately weissy)

Yes, have learned my lesson on that one Stux, will be careful with differentiating between hefe, wit, dunkel and wheat from now on. 'twas a fair call out on me. I just recalled Redback...must be 10 years since I've had one, and for the life of me I can't recall if it's an "aussie wheat" or a hefe style...anyone?

Stux, with your appreciation of wb-06...have you ever fermented a weizen with it above 23 degrees?

Redback is a hefeweizen.

EDIT: I should say in the style of a hefeweizen.

Hey guys, been reading more comments and threads around the site and realised I may have taken some of your corrections/additions to the thread as criticism and jibbing.
I am obviously new to the forum and I have to get used to how this all works. (as far as the correcting of facts and pulling up of misguided advice).

You guys obviously know lot and I do value your knowledge on making great beer.
That all being said, I apologise if I have got you guys offside a little, was only thinking you were having a go at carnie, but you were just communicating in the way it is done all over this site. Direct and to the point.

Anyway, wishing you all a happy new beer, and goodnight.

UB

Latest posts

Back