Fish bladder in beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isinglass finings.
However I'm not sure if any of the big breweries still use the stuff.

Also the article is way out of date, Newcastle Brown Ale uses dark crystals for the colour now, not caramel.

What a crock of shit
If the person that wrote that (I wont call it an article) knew anything they would know that Isinglass is made from the swim bladder, a buoyancy control organ found in most fish, not a fish bladder as is urinary which I am far from sure is found in fish!
Isinglass can be used in Europe as tests cant find any in the beer - like all good finings it goes though the beer aids in sedimentation and leaves none of itself in the beer.

The insect based colouring agent referred to is I am sure Cochineal, worth reading up on it, apparently people are reselecting it for use in food as apposed to synthetic alternatives.

Nice to make assertions about how bad/dangerous the products listed are - with out pointing to any evidence again complete shit.
Mark

Vegan dropkicks don't like Isinglass.

Ross sells it, I bought a pack a few years ago but it got damp and started to smell like a dead mullet. Not surprisingly.

edit: the site is probably run by girls.

Isn't that the same article that appeared here a while ago? Same woman who believes microwaving water has a similar effect on the formation of water crystals as saying satan or hitler repeatedly to it? Foodbabe blogger.

I'm all for truth and transparency in labelling but getting information from credible sources is part of that.

I've seen defamation cases arise from less than that.

Reminds me of one of my curry forums and we were equally annoyed by a newspaper report that Indian Restaurants are "adulterating" their curries by sneaking in additives such as Asafoetida and Fenugreek (both of which of course have been in use since Roman times in fine cookery).

Dickheads.

edit: I now have a sudden craving for dahl :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I noticed one of the sources was foodbabe..... I would trust the Daily Telegraph more than her excuse for a website

Another artical written by a do-good fuckwit hipster with no idea about what they are on about

There should be more concern about the high levels of dihydrogen monoxide found in beer. Over exposure to DHMO kills hundreds of thousands of people every year

What about horses hoofs ? :ph34r:

Not for me I like time to drop my yeast out :D

But have to be honest here I do use seaweed to help clarify :blink:

NewtownClown said:
There should be more concern about the high levels of dihydrogen monoxide found in beer. Over exposure to DHMO kills hundreds of thousands of people every year
Yeah, that stuff dangerous as all hell.

How it hasnt been banned already has got me stuffed

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeah, that stuff dangerous as all hell.

How it hasnt been banned already has got me stuffed
Not to mention cigarettes....

That website has about as much credibility as the anti-vaccination mob.

Fish don't have a bladder as we know it they urinate through their gills,the only bladder they have is the swim bladder.
Does the isinglass have to come from a Sturgeon or could a Carps swim bladder be used?

Back