First time home brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flash_DG said:
how long and what temp they been sitting at?
Hi flash, bottles i primed are sitting in my bar, never higher than 24 deg

bulk primed bottles are in my spare fridge, which is off, sitting at 21 degrees

1st batch bottled 3 weeks ago
2nd batch bottled 2 weeks ago

im bout to bottle on wednesday. wtf am i doing wrong here

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
Hi flash, bottles i primed are sitting in my bar, never higher than 24 deg

bulk primed bottles are in my spare fridge, which is off, sitting at 21 degrees

1st batch bottled 3 weeks ago
2nd batch bottled 2 weeks ago

im bout to bottle on wednesday. wtf am i doing wrong here

-Matt
I wouldn't freak out yet, firstly I have had a batch not carb up after three weeks and a bit longer sorted it, honestly I think a lot of your beer will only get better for 6 or so weeks so I'd chill out and leave it for 4-6 then crack a few and then if no carbonation you have a problem. Cold crashing depending on how long and how good a job you've done will make your beer take longer to carb. If your beer is really clear it's likely that there's not heaps of yeast there to carb, I'd recommend inverting the bottles and giving a little side to side shake to ressuspend the yeast that should help speed up carbonation a bit, I'd do that once a week for 4-6 weeks then see where you stand. Another potential issue is sugar, no matter how much you rouse the yeast if there's no sugar there won't be Co2 but you appear to have that covered, one last thing; your caps, definitely on good? Put a water balloon or small balloon or something over the bottle make sure it's airtight then shake the bottle, if it inflates then your caps are leaking. That's about all I can think of.

Take a gravity reading next time you open one. If it's still at FG (or less) then you've got an issue with your lids/caps as it doesn't look like you underdosed. If it's above FG then it needs more time and maybe a rousing of the yeast will help as already suggested.

Pic you posted earlier doesn't look under carbonated BTW

More time like others have said, even here in Brisbane i am having to wait 3+ weeks for my belgain blonde to carb up properly. It gets cold over night which tends to put the little buggers back to sleep then half the morning to warm back up again

Hi guys, cheers for the replies. i know the bottles are fine, theyre flip top and brand new from the brew shop and take an arm and a leg to close because the rubber seals are so new.

ive got 1/2 my Dr Smurtos golden ale boxed up and im not going to open them for another 2 weeks, that'll be 6 weeks bottle aged.

my brother uses the same bottles and his smurtos was amazing

im half thinking that maybe i didnt rinse well enough after sanitising??? if there is sanitisig agent in the bottle that would explain it yeh?

im bottling tomorrow night, should i bulk prime or bottle prime ???

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
Hi guys, cheers for the replies. i know the bottles are fine, theyre flip top and brand new from the brew shop and take an arm and a leg to close because the rubber seals are so new.

ive got 1/2 my Dr Smurtos golden ale boxed up and im not going to open them for another 2 weeks, that'll be 6 weeks bottle aged.

my brother uses the same bottles and his smurtos was amazing

im half thinking that maybe i didnt rinse well enough after sanitising??? if there is sanitisig agent in the bottle that would explain it yeh?

im bottling tomorrow night, should i bulk prime or bottle prime ???

-Matt
What sanitiser are you using? If it's Star-san or a similar no rinse sanitiser then it shouldn't be a problem at all, I use Starsan and leave a heap of foam in each bottle which comes up and out of the bottle as it is filled. Never had any carb problems.

EDIT: If you are able to I'd bulk prime, it does save a bit of time, having said that I regularly use bottling specific sugar scoops to do each bottle individually for when I am doing large batches (i only have one big vessel), pretty much anyone on here will tell you to Bulk Prime.

My mate didn't pull his bottle capper lever down hard enough on his first 2 batches and some gas escaped as they where carbing up so came out undercarbed. But like others have said wait at least 6-8 weeks to sample bottled beer. If your drinking earlier your only testing the carbonation levels and not the finished aged product. So every beer you drink before that time frame is wasted.
Saying that it is good to sample here and there to see and learn the aging process.
A few smaller bottles help to use as samplers so your not wasting a whole tallie.

i'm having a crack at the HOP HOG this weekend lads

any suggestions? good or bad idea
to try this on my 4th brew?

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
i'm having a crack at the HOP HOG this weekend lads

any suggestions? good or bad idea
to try this on my 4th brew?

-Matt
Well, you gotta do it at some point. So why not now? It's a good one to try. Just know your procedure. Have you steeped grains and done hops additions before? Hop hog has alot of hops.

burrster said:
Well, you gotta do it at some point. So why not now? It's a good one to try. Just know your procedure. Have you steeped grains and done hops additions before? Hop hog has alot of hops.
hey mate. ive steeped grain (well crystal malt) for my smurtos golden ale

never done hop additions tho.. i figure if i get all my stuff organised, its just a recipe.. take my time and shld be fine (i hope)

you ever done a hop hog?

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
never done hop additions tho.. i figure if i get all my stuff organised, its just a recipe.. take my time and shld be fine (i hope)
you ever done a hop hog?
-Matt
Hi mate my first ever batch after watching a mates dad do some k&k batches was a steeped grain and hop addition batch, theres nothing to it :) A lot of people suggest making a hop tea and adding that to the batch, IMO it overcmplicates things and doesn't help the learning for future boils. Simple as steeping your grain in say 5L of water as you probably id last batch then bumping the heat up to get the water or technically wort up to a boil after youve removed the grain bag. Once shes boiling add your hops at whenever your recipe says. 60minute addition is added at the start of a 60 minute boil, 20 minute addition 20 minutes from the end. My first batch was simply a 5 minute addition for some aroma thus I brought the wort up to boil, chucked the hops in, boiled for five minutes, turned the heat off, done!

captain. regards your carbonation you'll find 180grams dex in a 23 litre batch too little.
You probably want 200-220grams depending on style, but as others have said give your bottles time.
You cant get calculators online for amount of sugar needed for different carb levels by style, try brewersfriend, they have good stuff on there.

yum beer said:
captain. regards your carbonation you'll find 180grams dex in a 23 litre batch too little.
You probably want 200-220grams depending on style, but as others have said give your bottles time.
You cant get calculators online for amount of sugar needed for different carb levels by style, try brewersfriend, they have good stuff on there.
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirleslie/AlcoholChart/PrimingCalculator.html

or

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I assume thats a typeo Yum? :)

ed: typo

captain_cremen said:

you ever done a hop hog?

-Matt
Yeah, twice. My second version is probably my best beer so far. I'll be doing it regularly for sure, along with Dr smurtos golden ale. Have you got your recipe yet?

yum beer said:
Are you sure? at 2.4 vols of Co2 any calculator I use comes up with a 150g ish estimation for dex? I'm assuming 2.4 is about average.

Nizmoose said:
Hi mate my first ever batch after watching a mates dad do some k&k batches was a steeped grain and hop addition batch, theres nothing to it :) A lot of people suggest making a hop tea and adding that to the batch, IMO it overcmplicates things and doesn't help the learning for future boils. Simple as steeping your grain in say 5L of water as you probably id last batch then bumping the heat up to get the water or technically wort up to a boil after youve removed the grain bag. Once shes boiling add your hops at whenever your recipe says. 60minute addition is added at the start of a 60 minute boil, 20 minute addition 20 minutes from the end. My first batch was simply a 5 minute addition for some aroma thus I brought the wort up to boil, chucked the hops in, boiled for five minutes, turned the heat off, done!

mate... love this! simplifies it so much. cheers!! im making it tomorrow :)

im actually on my 4th real hop hog right now.. $18 for 4 bottles!!!

-Matt

yum beer said:

hey mate, im lucky to punch out 19.5L per batch. i try not to dilute it.. gives me less beer but more flavour IMO

i put 185g of dextrose in my corona that i bottled on Wednesday so i'll let you know how it goes

-Matt

Nizmoose said:
Are you sure? at 2.4 vols of Co2 any calculator I use comes up with a 150g ish estimation for dex? I'm assuming 2.4 is about average.
i think if i put 220g i'd have bottles exploding in my garage.

if my next brew
turns out flat im buying a keg. problem solved :)

-Matt

yum beer said:
Where the **** did I get those figures from...........
5.5 to 6 gm a litre.....126-138gm dextrose.....more like it.
Sorry if anybody took that piece of useless advice.

Pulling ones head in.......

Latest posts

Back