First time home brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
captain_cremen said:
guys.. do you use finings or not?

-Matt
Go get yourself a Hop Hog. It's cloudy! It a damn fine beer. I've used finings once as it came with a kit I bought. I don't rate it. ( not saying it doesn't work, just one more step, and more effort). If I want clean looking beer I use Nottingham yeast and cold crash. My point being it's not necessary to make good beer.

Hey guys,
on the subject of finnings you'll find many opinions, and I suppose this is mine. You'll find most commercials filter and use finning agents to improve clarity so it's not something to be quickly dismissed.
I am an Ag brewer so I throw whirflock in the boil ... when I remember it. I have used gelatine and found it great, though I have to say I have had similar results by simply crash chilling for an little longer.
On average my standard ales are completely unfiltered and un-fined, a decent cold crash at the end of fermentation will do wonders.

MB

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412155533.566600.jpg

my 150 lashes turned out nicely

Dr Smurtos golden ale went in on Saturday.. fingers crossed

-Matt

to the guys that recommended Dr Smurtos golden ale.. i wanna know if 14 days in primary is absolutely necessary? mines been in for 8 days, OG 1048, current 1010, worked out its about 5.6%

If i rack it now into my secondary will i totally f*^k it if fermentation hasnt quite finished in primary??

-Matt

Why do you want to rack?

You will not hurt your beer by racking if its not %100 finished. Be careful to avoid splashing. Racking does introduce more chance of infection .

was extremely cloudy, mostly because of the crystal and i didnt use a fine enough strainer.

racked it to clear some of the sediment.

i used a proper hose and no bubbles really.

it tastes great hey

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
was extremely cloudy, mostly because of the crystal and i didnt use a fine enough strainer.

racked it to clear some of the sediment.

i used a proper hose and no bubbles really.

it tastes great hey

-Matt
Won't get any clearer than it would have in original FV.

14 days isn't necessary but is a good idea as a matter of course. I've recently had some issues with bottled beer (diacetyl) which could have been fixed by just leaving it a little longer. No harm leaving it a little longer, possible harm bottling straight away when FG is hit.
I also recommend forgetting about a secondary, especially if you're a new brewer. You don't need it to make good beer for standard ales, and it rules out one area for error when you're learning.
Top stuff on the first brew btw.

guys ive done a 150 lashes, dr smurtos golden ale (bottled yesterday) and not touching for at least a week to 10 days

currntly got a corona on, boring i know but the mrs wants something easy drinking

i really want to make a 'punch you in the face' strong robust IPA next

any really good recipes?? my brother did one but it didnt have much body, tastes good, but didnt have the lovely mouth feel.

appreciate suggestions

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
guys ive done a 150 lashes, dr smurtos golden ale (bottled yesterday) and not touching for at least a week to 10 days

currntly got a corona on, boring i know but the mrs wants something easy drinking

i really want to make a 'punch you in the face' strong robust IPA next

any really good recipes?? my brother did one but it didnt have much body, tastes good, but didnt have the lovely mouth feel.

appreciate suggestions

-Matt
Hey mate look for the Hop Hog extract recipe on the site, it is a lovely American IPA. Highly rate it!

Major Arcana said:
Hey mate look for the Hop Hog extract recipe on the site, it is a lovely American IPA. Highly rate it!
thanks mate! hop hog it is

-Matt

guys im a bit pissed off. im not happy with my carbonation. 2 batches kinda
1/2 flat

1st batch i primed each bottle, with dextrose, measured Amounts
of .75 per 750ml bottle

2nd batch i bulk primed, 180g dextrose to 20L

both flat

wtf

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
guys im a bit pissed off. im not happy with my carbonation. 2 batches kinda
1/2 flat

1st batch i primed each bottle, with dextrose, measured Amounts
of .75 per 750ml bottle

2nd batch i bulk primed, 180g dextrose to 20L

both flat

wtf

-Matt
Hey mate,

I'm fairly new also so take this with a pinch of salt but...

Did you cold crash the FV prior to bottling? Reason I ask is because I did that and have run into the same problem... Still not carbed after 9 days.

Patience, Grasshopper(s). The Flash's questions are very valid and point to the problem. They really need to be kept at or above 18 degrees for a fortnight before you should start getting worried. I'm guessing your ales are being stored where the overnight temp is getting well below that, so they just probably need more time.

Latest posts

Back