First time home brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_cremen

Reaction score
Hi all, just got my first home brew kit, currently doing a 150 lashes.. looking good so far

can anyone recommend a recipe for the novice? i really want to start with the basics and get into the trickier stuff once i know my brew doesn't taste terrible :)

Welcome aboard captain. Plenty of recipes in the AHB database. Are you doing kits, extract or all grain?

hi mate, extracts at the moment. grain will be next.

so many recipes just not sure whats best for a deadset newbie. haha

-Matt

Welcome Captain,

I would recommend a Dr Smurtos Golden Ale - I have only made the kit form so far, and its an awesome drop

there are various recipes on the database, All Grain to Kits, this way you can compare your brews once you step up to grain

What went into the 150 Lashes clone ???

Well, for something really simple you could try this: take 100 ml of extract mix with 400ml of hot water and bring to the boil. To this add 15 g cascade hops continue to boil for 40 min than add 10 g cascade and boil for a further 20 min. turn off and add remaining extract stirring until dissolved/combined. Add to fermenter and top up with water.
Edit-be better to triple the wate/r extract for the boil.

Hi Ian,

I'll look up those recipes, cheers.

The 150 lashes was one my brother did about 3 weeks ago and I couldnt taste the difference between the real thing.

i double hopped - amarillo 50g

rapid creek pale ale can - used the yeast it came with

1kg brew booster (country brewer)

not sure if i should put finings in a couple days before bottling - thoughts?

-Matt

@wereprawn.. awesome! thanks man. i'll give that a crack on my 3rd brew and see how she goes

-Matt

every single recipe i try and open on this app shows this error.. what am i doing wrong here????

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411466571.716656.jpg on t

-Matt

Rapid Creek Pale Ale and the booster sounds like a kit. In that case just add the 20 min addition. And you could dry hop with 25 g cascade.

Edit:- No idea why you cant get into the recipes.Sorry i cant help there.

aah yeh ok. kit it is then! i'll tweak my
recipe with your suggestions bud

-Matt

here is the kit version of Dr Smurtos Golden Ale

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

there are a load of slight variations, tweaks and perfections, no idea why you cant get into the recipe section though, when you do, have a read through

Country Brewer are Great, I use the one in Prospect, Make sure you sign up for the discount club thingy !!

Just double check the recipe section though, you have to Boil some of the ingredients (the wheat malt with the hops and some water)

As others would say on this forum, get to Big W and get yourself a 19 litre stock pot (under $20)

I will try and hunt down the full instructions, I just don't have a chance at the moment, Maybe do some searching

good luck, post the results

captain_cremen said:
guys.. do you use finings or not?

-Matt
Not me; not yet. A little bit of cloudiness and sh1te in the botttom of the bottle is fine - that's how you know it's home brew. Concentrate on the important stuff 1st. Good luck with it all.

One of my best ever kit brews before I went extract:

1 Can Black Rock Golden Ale
1kg Brew Blend #20
25g Galaxy Hops - Boil 1min steep 20min
US-05 yeast at about 20C

Simple and tasty, mate and I polished well over a slab last NYE good night!

Yes to finings - 2tsp of gelatine dissolved in 1ish cup of boiled water that's cooled to 70C, allowed to cool further to around 45C (under sanitised foil cover) then added to fermenter or keg. Because I'm somewhat anal I boil the water, pour into 2 cups, cover with sanitised foil put a thermometer into 1 cup. When it's 70c I add the gelatine to the other cup, recover. When it's 45 ish I add to the fermenter or keg.

As to the recipes, are you opening from the recipes page or from a link in a thread? I've had the same issue with a lot of the older links, but not from the recipes page

My recommendation would be a Dr Smurto's Goldem Ale, but with a mix of Citra and Simcoe. It been great for me so far. Ian_2005 has already given the base recipe, just sustitute the 5 minute for simcoe and dry hop with equal part simcoe and citra. My recipe is all extract. If your interested I'll put it up.

boys im heading to get the ingredients for dr smurtos tomorrow. cant wait!

loving this app, you guys are a great help

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
boys im heading to get the ingredients for dr smurtos tomorrow. cant wait!

loving this app, you guys are a great help

-Matt
Excellent!

Latest posts

Back