First Time Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
I'm going to be attempting my first AG in the next couple of weeks, but I have no idea on what I am gonna make. I would like to make something simple, preferably an ale. Does anyone know a simple recipe they could point me to.

Thanks in advance.

Check the RecipeDB for any SMASH beers (Single Malt And Single Hop), or just do a google search...

I hear the Citra Smash Ale is a bit of a winner!

Dr's Golden Ale is said to be very good also. Top rated one on the DB so its easy to find.

Hi Hughezy,

I've only done 4 AG batches (5th is mashing as we speak). Prior to that I was doing partials using about 3kg of grains and it was pointed out to me that I was being an idiot, just start using another kilo or so of grain and be done with it!

If you like the American Pale Ale style there are a heap of rippers on the database, but as MLP pointed out you can't go too far wrong with something super basic. You can use the recipes as a starting point and just "dumb them down". I do that out of necessity due to the availability of various products.

Someone made a valid point that for learning purposes an english pale ale is the way to go because you can't hide mistakes behind a wall of amarillo....but I haven't got the guts to learn how crap I am so I stick to the big hop flavour haha.

I am halfway through a mash at the moment and it is based on the SKunk Fart ale which I had to try based on the name alone. As it is a bit of a low cost experiment I am trying us-05 with it instead of my standard wyeast 1056. But bugger me sideways - the jump in flavour in AG has been awesome so I figure that I'll still be well impressed regardless of the change in yeast.

Short answer: Find an american pale ale on the recipe db, mess around with the variety/styles of malt (dumb it down), buy 80 gms of Amarillo and go your hardest. Maybe not ideal, but if you are a bit isolated like me and making the best with what you've got it's a great place to start.

Good luck!

I'm going to be attempting my first AG in the next couple of weeks, but I have no idea on what I am gonna make. I would like to make something simple, preferably an ale. Does anyone know a simple recipe they could point me to.

Thanks in advance.

Ross' Summer Ale is a nice drinking, fairly easy beer to make, i brewed it as my 2nd or 3rd AG, from memory i think it's 4.500 Marris Otter and 0.500 Wheat Malt with Nelson Sauvin hops but you could swap that out for Cascade, Amarillo or whatever you want, shoot him a PM or check the recipe DB, maybe it's in there.

cheers

Dave

thanks for the replies, just been poking around the recipe db looks like it'll be the summer ale for the moment but I am yet to find a SMASH recipe.

Id recomend a SMASH beer for your first go!

nice and simple, will make a great beer and begin your self education into the effects diferent ingredients make on the finnished product. As you make more beers, you can try different base malts, different hops and get an idea of what they add as individual ingredients.

Id use 100% ale malt..... what ever you can get. Golden Promise makes a supurb SMASH beer....... its just soooooooo nice!
Cluster is a great aussie hop with a bit more character than POR....... and will make a nice beer.

Im sure my Cluster Bomb SMASH is in the database

here it is :

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=758

This beer was seriously fantastic and dead easy! The golden promise is really easy to mash and with the weather warming up...... you will love the beer. Im gunna brew it again myself very soon.

cheers

Try knocking up a SMASH ale - I did one with Citra. Gets you an understanding of what each hop and what each malt does.

Lovin Citra and Nelson Sauvin & they really suit bold APAs.

Goomba

scratch what I said earlier, I think tonys' recipe looks like the winner, just do some number crunching to make it suit 23 L

Cluster Bomb Pale Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.50
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.27
Anticipated EBC: 9.1
Anticipated IBU: 31.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 4.50 kg. TF Golden Promise Pale Ale Ma UK 1.037 6

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
14.00 g. Cluster Pellet 7.20 13.4 First WH
18.00 g. Cluster Pellet 7.20 15.0 45 min.
14.00 g. Cluster Pellet 7.20 2.5 5 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05 or 1272 liquid

Cluster Bomb Pale Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.50
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.27
Anticipated EBC: 9.1
Anticipated IBU: 31.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
100.0 4.50 kg. TF Golden Promise Pale Ale Ma UK 1.037 6

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
14.00 g. Cluster Pellet 7.20 13.4 First WH
18.00 g. Cluster Pellet 7.20 15.0 45 min.
14.00 g. Cluster Pellet 7.20 2.5 5 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05 or 1272 liquid
well I meant I was gonna crunch the numbers but that works too. btw is promash a free program or do you have to pay for a license?

about $25 mate............ best $25 you will ever spend

Latest posts

Back