First Saison Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpal

Reaction score
saison.png
Hi, This is my first Saison I'm attempting to brew. I'm going for lightly hopped and letting the yeast build the flavours, I don't want it too thin so I'm mashing at 64 and going for a nice lightish colour. Something easy drinking. Can anyone who has experience with this style offer comment on the recipe, particularly suggested fermentation temp schedule. Cheers

First saison I made was 60% pils, 40% wheat, cube hopped with citra.

Used the wyeast farmhouse ale, pitched at 20C and ramped up to 29C over a few days.

I mashed low and long, 63C for 120 minutes.

Came out fantastic. A perfect summer session beer (ended up about 4%)

I have limited experience with the style but the main focus needs to be on the yeast and what flavours it brings, the malt and hops are a backdrop to compliment this rather than the main performer so it's worth spending more to get a good liquid yeast. I normally get at least 3 brews out of a liquid yeast so it evens out the cost.

Thanks for the advice :)
I ended up doing the brew yesterday, cubed, and will ferment on the weekend wrapped up in the electric blanket because its freezing here at the moment. Mashed at 64-65, yeah I know it's high for the style, but I have had not-so-good experiences with beers turning out too dry/watery and thought I'd try to avoid that, so it should be still under 5% but light-med body. Hops and grain bill was just using what I had on hand, excited to see how it turns out!

Had a little taste of the gravity sample yesterday after 5 days fermenting and still bubbling away nicely. Down to 1.004 with Belle Saison yeast and that's even with a 65 degree mash temp, tastes fantastic given how dry it is. :D

Well the batch of Saison lasted less than two weeks, had a BBQ when it had been about a week in the keg and got cleaned out. Went down a treat, great yeast character and very dry (1.003). Have another batch cubed when I get time. One of the best beers I've made and a great style!

Back