• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

First Porter

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

JaseH

Reaction score
Going to try and put down another brew on the new system this weekend and as the weather is starting to cool down I want to try a Robust Porter style. I have no idea about darker malts though so am flying blind. I have looked over a bunch of other Porter recipes and have tried to put together a recipe loosely based on others and using what grains I have available from my LHBS(mainly Joe White/Maltcraft).

I would appreciate anyone commenting on this. I realise porters are all about balancing malts but as I have no experience with darker malts I am flying blind at the moment.

Recipe: Stormy Porter
Brewer: Jase
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.04 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.04 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 24.00 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 59.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 69.4 %
0.80 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) Grain 2 11.1 %
0.60 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (29.6 EBC) Grain 3 8.3 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 4 6.9 %
0.20 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 5 2.8 %
0.11 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 6 1.5 %

20.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 29.3 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
15.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.7 IBUs

1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.21 kg

The Warrior and Motueka are because I have them on hand. I think the Warrior should be fine for bittering, what do you think about a bit of late B-Saaz in a robust porter?

beachy

Reaction score
Going to try and put down another brew on the new system this weekend and as the weather is starting to cool down I want to try a Robust Porter style. I have no idea about darker malts though so am flying blind. I have looked over a bunch of other Porter recipes and have tried to put together a recipe loosely based on others and using what grains I have available from my LHBS(mainly Joe White/Maltcraft).

I would appreciate anyone commenting on this. I realise porters are all about balancing malts but as I have no experience with darker malts I am flying blind at the moment.

Recipe: Stormy Porter
Brewer: Jase
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 32.04 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.04 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 59.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 69.4 %
0.80 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) Grain 2 11.1 %
0.60 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (29.6 EBC) Grain 3 8.3 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 4 6.9 %
0.20 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 5 2.8 %
0.11 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 6 1.5 %

20.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 29.3 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -

1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.21 kg

The Warrior and Motueka are because I have them on hand. I think the Warrior should be fine for bittering, what do you think about a bit of late B-Saaz in a robust porter?
I would replace the Amber malt with the same amount of English Brown Malt. That much Amber will give a very dominant flavour which i don't like much but Brown malt in a porter is :icon_drool2: .

JaseH

Reaction score
Cant really get hold of English brown before the weekend. What if I reduce the amber and up the Munich?

Vanoontour

Reaction score
The motueka is quite a citrusy hop. How would that go against the malt?

One piece of advice I was given is not to mix hop regions so to speak, ie don't use an english hop an american hop and a euro hop in one drink. It becomes conflicting.

My 2c.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I'd be using brown malt over the amber as well.

You could probably use a bit of calcium carbonate in the mash water as well to balance out the acidity of the darker malts and the point about the hops could be a good one as well. If you have fuggles or goldings available, they may be better choices for flavour/aroma hops when using a english ale yeast.

I'll be brewing a robust porter over Easter, formulating recipe now based on a winning recipe from the Australian Conference.

JaseH

Reaction score
Yeah I was a bit concerned about the Motueka as a flavor/aroma hop, so far I have only brewed APAs/AIPA's so all I have on hand is citrus! I'll see if my local has any of the more traditional english hop varieties on the shelf tomorrow when I grab the grains.

As for the brown malt, I cant see anything listed on the grain list at Keg King, I suppose I could ring G&G and get some overnighted to me. Otherwise is there anything else in the Joe White range that I could substitute?

JaseH

Reaction score
Made a few adjustments, I think I'll give this one a bash, got to start somewhere I suppose.

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 66.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 75.3 %
0.80 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (29.6 EBC) Grain 2 11.0 %
0.40 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3 5.5 %
0.30 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 4 4.1 %
0.20 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 5 2.7 %
0.10 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 6 1.4 %

20.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 29.2 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)

Will change out the Motueka with whatever I can hold of that is more suitable.

beachy

Reaction score
Yeah I was a bit concerned about the Motueka as a flavor/aroma hop, so far I have only brewed APAs/AIPA's so all I have on hand is citrus! I'll see if my local has any of the more traditional english hop varieties on the shelf tomorrow when I grab the grains.

As for the brown malt, I cant see anything listed on the grain list at Keg King, I suppose I could ring G&G and get some overnighted to me. Otherwise is there anything else in the Joe White range that I could substitute?
I don't think JW make anything that can really be subbed for English brown malt.

The new recipe looks good but if you can get some brown malt give it a go next time, you won't be dissapointed.

JaseH

Reaction score
Ok, probably replace the Motueka with 20g of EK Goldings. I think that should suit the style better.

Latest posts