First Partial Mash - Thumbs Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardy

Reaction score
To everyone who has shared their knowledge and inspired me to get on the way to partial/all grain extract... i just want to say thanks.

Last night i did my first partial with great success. I used 2.2 kg pale malt, 500g munich, 150g caramunich, 100g crystal, 50g chocolate... all in the esky for an hour and 15min. Drained via the copper manifold recirculated once, then added another 4l of hot water, sloshed it around and drained again.

I was surprised at how easy it was, and how distinctively fresh and different the wort was. Already the aroma and taste is significantly different to all extract brewing i have done. I can't wait to taste the results.

Anyone thinking about progressing from all extract brewing should do it!! i procrastinated for months, but after doing it found it pretty easy and much more satisfying to have produced wort from grain. now i am much closer to all grain!

thanks to everyone again

Well Done Wardy.

Did you let it sit and settle for 10-15mins after sloshing it around before draining....

i will pay more attention to that next time, i think i only let it sit for another 5 min or so. time was getting on... started at 6:30pm and finished at 10:30pm.

great work wardy,
and the best part is yet to come. enjoying the "fruits" of your labor.
joe

onya wardy.good to hear it went well.the adventure continues :)

big d

Good one Wardy. Another one in the "grain club"

Back