First Partial Mash + Canadian Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snotpoodle

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First off thanks, I used this forum as an epic resource to get my off kit beers (only did 2 Coopers kits), and into Partial, and next one hopefully All Grain.

I had a can of Coopers Canadian Blonde as a base, and a couple of malts and hops handy, so i thought I would spice up the basic Canadian Blonde can by adding my own hops, and steeping some speciality malts. Recipe is below, please let me know what you think? And thanks again for all the help from everyone, you made brewing interesting and easy for me, without even knowing it!

The Bitter Blonde
Brew Type: Partial Mash
Date: 2/5/2011
Style: Blonde Ale
Brewer: Jonathan
Batch Size:
24.00 L
Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: Around 10L
Boil Time: 30 min

IngredientsAmountItemType% or IBU
0.50 kgLight Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)Dry Extract17.5 %
1.25 kgPale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Coopers Canadian Blonde CanExtract43.9 %
0.40 kgCaramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)Grain14.0 %
0.20 kgCarafa I (337.0 SRM)Grain7.0 %20.00 gmPearle [8.00%] (20 min)Hops8.1 IBU
28.00 gmCascade [4.60%] (10 min)Hops3.8 IBU
0.50 kgCorn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)Sugar17.5 %
1 PkgsSaf AleYeast-Ale

Beer ProfileEstimated Original Gravity: 1.036 SG (1.038-1.054 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.032 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011 SG (1.008-1.013 SG)
Measured Final Gravity:
1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 16.2 SRM (3.0-6.0 SRM)
Color [Color]Bitterness: 11.8 IBU (15.0-28.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 0.7 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 3.4 % (3.8-5.5 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume:
3.5 %
Actual Calories: 289 cal/l

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar
Carbonation Volumes:
2.4 (2.4-2.8 vols)
Estimated Priming Weight: 136.0 gm
Temperature at Bottling:
15.6 C
Primer Used:
-Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature:
11.1 C

Notes
First Partial Mash.

Steeped All grains (Crystal and Carafa (Caramalt) for 30mins.
Pearle addidion at 20m
Cascade at 10m
Cooper Canadian Blonde Can added at flame out and stirred in.
All into fermenter, topped up to 23L, added 1kg DME sitrred in.
Topped up to 24L
SAFAle yeast activated and poured in. Started foaming in 5mins.
O.G 1034 (adjusted to 1.036 for 28C room temp)

Taste out of the fermenter was sweet and bitter, very nice hop aroma and taste.

Hi Everyone,

First off thanks, I used this forum as an epic resource to get my off kit beers (only did 2 Coopers kits), and into Partial, and next one hopefully All Grain.

I had a can of Coopers Canadian Blonde as a base, and a couple of malts and hops handy, so i thought I would spice up the basic Canadian Blonde can by adding my own hops, and steeping some speciality malts. Recipe is below, please let me know what you think? And thanks again for all the help from everyone, you made brewing interesting and easy for me, without even knowing it!

The Bitter Blonde
Brew Type: Partial Mash
Date: 2/5/2011
Style: Blonde Ale
Brewer: Jonathan
Batch Size:
24.00 L
Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: Around 10L
Boil Time: 30 min

IngredientsAmountItemType% or IBU
0.50 kgLight Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)Dry Extract17.5 %
1.25 kgPale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Coopers Canadian Blonde CanExtract43.9 %
0.40 kgCaramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)Grain14.0 %
0.20 kgCarafa I (337.0 SRM)Grain7.0 %20.00 gmPearle [8.00%] (20 min)Hops8.1 IBU
28.00 gmCascade [4.60%] (10 min)Hops3.8 IBU
0.50 kgCorn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)Sugar17.5 %
1 PkgsSaf AleYeast-Ale

Beer ProfileEstimated Original Gravity: 1.036 SG (1.038-1.054 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.032 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011 SG (1.008-1.013 SG)
Measured Final Gravity:
1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 16.2 SRM (3.0-6.0 SRM)
Color [Color]Bitterness: 11.8 IBU (15.0-28.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 0.7 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 3.4 % (3.8-5.5 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume:
3.5 %
Actual Calories: 289 cal/l

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar
Carbonation Volumes:
2.4 (2.4-2.8 vols)
Estimated Priming Weight: 136.0 gm
Temperature at Bottling:
15.6 C
Primer Used:
-Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature:
11.1 C

Notes
First Partial Mash.

Steeped All grains (Crystal and Carafa (Caramalt) for 30mins.
Pearle addidion at 20m
Cascade at 10m
Cooper Canadian Blonde Can added at flame out and stirred in.
All into fermenter, topped up to 23L, added 1kg DME sitrred in.
Topped up to 24L
SAFAle yeast activated and poured in. Started foaming in 5mins.
O.G 1034 (adjusted to 1.036 for 28C room temp)

Taste out of the fermenter was sweet and bitter, very nice hop aroma and taste.

I see that your style is "Blonde Ale", but you've chucked in Carafa for colour, which is TOTALLY out of style (according to BJCP) for a blonde ale. Not sure I would have done the same.

I see that you are adding the can at flame-out and 1kg DME, but your recipe says 1/2kg DME, 1/2 kg dex. I expect you are adding the DME/Dextrose together OR you are adding 1kg of DME which isn't in your recipe (but I doubt it because your gravity is pretty modest).

Sounds fine all-round to me, but not a blonde ale.

Hey Tourist,

Thanks for taking a look. Fair play on the style comment, I figured since the base was a blonde, I'd go from there, but i understand your point.

Also, it wasnt Carafa malt, the packet i bought said Caramalt, so i am guessing it's really just more crystal, could have been a higher lovibond, but that might be useless info anyway. And yes, to your point i was adding the DME and dex together at the end.

Do you think the hops were enough? Is it possible for me to taste after a week and then maybe do some dry hopping if i feel its too light on the hop side?

One more thing, what "style" would this be closer to then...?

Great job, I'm sure your recipe will come up a treat :party:

Great choice with the Pearl, Fergthebrewer did a cal common with Pearl all the way and it was the best beer I've tasted :icon_drool2:

Welcome to the best hobby going around, couple more brews and you should be upgraded to obsession, warning beer can test the bonds of your relationships :blink:

Hi s-p
What you describe there is a "kits n bits" rather than a partial. The idea of a partial is actually to mash some base malt to beef up the kit - as opposed to steeping crystal type malt which is already mashed for you. However the recipe looks good except for that Carafa ;)

Partials are easy to do and you probably have the gear at home already. Here's a link to another forum where I posted about pimping up a Coopers Cerveza by doing a partial mash with base malt and maize and adding extra hops, if interested. Once you get a couple of partials under your belt you'll be more than ready to try AG.

OK - caramalt is crystal (light crystal?) and carafa is roasted, dehusked barley, which is nearly black and more suited to dark beers (swartzbier, porter, dunkelweizen), or to adjust colour.

I guess it's a bit pointless asking for recipe feedback if you're not going to post the correct recipe/process. Moreover, if you want to replicate your beer years down the track, having the correct recipe is critical, obviously.

ANYWAY, beer should be fine - extra sweetness will be offered by the caramalt to offset the bitterness you describe. Should be fine - hope it all works out.

Just noticed you said the IBU was 11ish but i think its actually a lot more than that. The can of canadian blonde is already hopped to make it around 22 IBU's plus whatever hops you put in.

JT

Just noticed you said the IBU was 11ish but i think its actually a lot more than that. The can of canadian blonde is already hopped to make it around 22 IBU's plus whatever hops you put in.

JT

Yeah, i think it will be rather bitter, hence the name.

Took a sample now to check out the colour, it's a lovely darkish golden at the moment, and fermentation with the safale yeast has been seriously vigorous. So I think the Blonde descriptor is out the window, probably more a brunette!

Yeah, i think it will be rather bitter, hence the name.

Took a sample now to check out the colour, it's a lovely darkish golden at the moment, and fermentation with the safale yeast has been seriously vigorous. So I think the Blonde descriptor is out the window, probably more a brunette!

Just cracked a bottle, beautiful colour, lovely light malt taste, with a red tinge (must be from the Crystal Malt), so i guess this has become a Strawberry Blonde.

Very delicate flavour, and the hopping is not overpowering. Amazing how it mellowed in only 2 weeks.

Overall, this is a good little quaffer, quite happy with this!

Latest posts

Back