Recipe check German Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
Hi, just after a recipe check please;

Lager II

German Pilsner (Pils) (2 A)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 l
Boil Size: 27.80 l
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 24.96 l
Final Bottling Vol: 22.00 l
Fermentation: Lager, Single Stage
Date: 30 Jul 2016
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: My equipement.
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.1 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

23.02 l

Gold Coast Water

Water

-

4.50 kg

Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)

Grain

86.9 %

0.50 kg

Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC)

Grain

9.7 %

0.13 kg

Acid Malt (5.9 EBC)

Grain

2.4 %

0.05 kg

Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC)

Grain

1.0 %

30.00 g

Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Hop

28.5 IBUs

18.48 g

Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Hop

5.0 IBUs

0.30 tsp

Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)

Fining

-

18.48 g

Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Hop

3.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 36.5 IBUs
Est Color: 7.6 EBC
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 427.1 kcal/l

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Sparge Water: 19.48 l
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE
Total Grain Weight: 5.18 kg
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Tun Temperature: 22.2 C
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps

Name

Description

Step Temperature

Step Time

Mash In

Add 13.56 l of water at 70.6 C

64.4 C

75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (5.55l, 13.92l) of 75.6 C water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 86.48 KPA
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 7.2 C
Fermentation: Lager, Single Stage
Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Keg with 86.48 KPA
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 15.6 C

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Looks good mate, I'm not a fan of acidulated malt but that's just me, apart from that looks like a tasty lager!

Cheers mate,

The acidulated malt (which I learnt about in a previous thread) is added to alter the mash ph, which is good as my water supply is a little hard.

No sure how it impacts flavour tho'

Did you put that acidulated malt in there based on water results? Or is this off a previous recipe? 130g is on the high side for a 22l batch but not outrageous.
Wheat malt strikes me as out of place, I would go all pils + the melanoidin. The 2 late hop additions seem a little odd too, I'd move it to a single addition at say 10 mins or later.
To hit your FG you'll need to mash lower than 64°C, go 63 or even 62. Plus a big healthy yeast pitch (which I can't see in the recipe).
Ed: wrote that before you replied.

I'm open to suggestions, that's why I posted here first.

I've never used the acid malt, so I'm quite virginal.

I chose the wheat for it's head retention qualities.

I'll consider one late hop addition and the lower mash temp.

I haven't put too much thought into yest at the mo' but I'm leaning to a liquid lager type.

I'd probably swap the acid malt and melanoidin amounts around the other way. I have brewed lagers with and without acid malt; it doesn't really seem to affect the flavour at all, the only difference I noticed was a minor increase in efficiency. I agree with using one late hop addition.

I recently brewed a German style lager using 2001 Urquell yeast to ferment it. Turned out really well.

Depends how anal we're being I suppose but in my mind I was thinking classic pilsner. However a German lager could be a variety of different beers with different ingredients (think Dortmunder, Oktoberfest, dunkel etc.) so who's to say what can and can't go in? If you are going for a pilsner though - which I'm brewing soon because I love a good pilsner - I would keep it clean and focus on the yeast and ferment.
If going liquid (guess who also ordered 2001?) use fresh yeast and use a minimum 2.5l with a stir plate if you can. Avoid stepping unless culturing up. Allow it to drop out chill to pitching temp.
Pitch at around 11°C and oxygenate WELL. If you don't have an O2 kit give it a solid whisking prior to pitching. Hold at 11-12°C until at least 50% through the ferment and allow to rise up to 16°C for a diacetyl rest if desired.
Chill and rack off after hitting FG and keep at lagering temp (<4°C, lower's better) for at least 2 weeks. 3-4 is better, longer is beneficial. If you're bottling that's another story and I can't offer great advice there that's simple and will give good results.
Stick at it, get the basics right, and really focus on yeast health and a well aerated wort for the best chance at success.

Ok, we'll lean toward a pilsner, just to make things clearer.

When talking about aeration, Palmer warns about too much, but how much is too much?

If I were to swap the Melanoidin and add that amount, won't my beer turn out red?

How are you aerating? Without pure oxygen you won't overdo it.

In terms of 'ease of use' to produce a good, clean lager, wy 2042 danish is great. The munich lager is also great but needs closer attention to minimise vdk (or reduce later).

With the late hop addition, are we happy with 15g at 10min?

manticle said:
How are you aerating? Without pure oxygen you won't overdo it.

In terms of 'ease of use' to produce a good, clean lager, wy 2042 danish is great. The munich lager is great but needs closer attention to minimise vdk (or reduce later).

I made and use this, stick in the battery drill and whip.

20160802_1924511_zpss23lgjd2.jpg

Melanoidin malt doesn't turn beer red. I use about 160g of it in my Bo pils recipe (24/25L) and it comes out a lovely pale gold colour.

I would not take the advice to swap the amount of melanoiden and acidulated malt. A dry pilsner will always benefit from having the mash pH close to 5.2 because (1)the lower mash pH will give a more attenuative wort, (2) lager yeast drop pH less during fermentation than ale yeast and (3) a lower pH will provide a brighter flavour profile. With low RA Melbourne water I use 3-4% acidulated malt, so 2.4% doesn't seem at all over the tops but it depends on the RA of your water. A german pils should showcase the grainy pils malt, less so melanoiden, so personally I would drop it but at 1% it is not a big deal. For hops I like to split my hops in thirds and use 2g/L Hallertau Mitt @FWH, @15' and @0', and add some magnum @FWH to target overall bitterness of about 40IBU for your gravity.

EDFIT: typo

Latest posts

Back