First Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbuoy

Reaction score
Although I have not nearly mastered AG my restless mind is starting to think about liquid yeasts. Maybe a few brews down the track I might give it a go so why not start thinking about a good one to try.

Some beer styles I like are 1. Light lagers, Pilsners
2. Dr Smutro golden ale or similar, mm..Amarillo :icon_drool2:
3. Amber ales.

Any recomendations on a good one to suit these styles that will really set it aside compared to good dry yeast?. I will farm it off into 6 or so yeasts so I want one that suits these styles that I am going to use several times. I'm thinking a Pilsner as they seem a little less forgiving to second rate ingredients?

CB, how'd you go with your first liquid recently?? Is it a good thing

Cheers

I think Dr Smurto's asks for a US-05 which is dried yeast....
You can always re-hydrate and make a starter....

I'm with razz, go the 1272. Very easy to use and leaves more body and malt than US-05 IMO. Nice for amber ales too.

If you want an ale yeast that'll make a passable lager-like beer as well as the APAs, then I like 1007 though it does take its time to drop clear.

2112 is a good allrounder
The real beauty with liquid yeast is the variety so you can get totally different beers with only the yeast being the different ingredient

1056 will do for both your golden and amber ales. 2278 for Czech pils or 2112 if you can't ferment at lager ~10C temps.

Just to clarify one thing. I can ferment at Lager temps.

1056. It was my 1st anyway.

Infact I am still culturing from that 1st smack pack i ever bought about 4 years ago from grumpys, got a fermenter going with it now.

I think 1056 would be to close to US-05 I use now. Same strain just dry. I'm looking for something thats different so I can get an idea of what the liquid yeasts can do.

I've used WLP300 a few times in wheats but i find it slow to build up a starter from, in fact i tend to save it from trub and find it easier to use that as the starter than the original vial.

Fair enough, how about a lager with 2124. Nice & clean.

If you want something really different, 3787 trappist or 3724 saison.

I think 1056 would be to close to US-05 I use now. Same strain just dry. I'm looking for something thats different so I can get an idea of what the liquid yeasts can do.

If you used 1056 you could then compare the liquid against the dry. Then you could move to other yeast for the different characteristics. Maybe a brewer up your way could help you out if you chose to go this way.

I'm looking for something thats different so I can get an idea of what the liquid yeasts can do.

WB-06 dry then Wyeast 3068 in a wheat beer. That will show you just how much better a liquid is.

Latest posts

Back