First infection - bung keg seal :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damoninja

Reaction score
Yeah so

Since I can only fit 2 kegs in my keeezer, when I keg, I usually prime one and drop the other in the keezer to force carb.

Have had no issues with priming until now.

I finished a keg over the weekend so grabbed the primed one from the laundry and wtf - beer splashed out of the lid?!! Surely enough, I hooked it up, applied some pressure and wouldn't you know it the fucker tastes like shite. What was hoppy and delicious now tastes sour and generally infectiony.

Put it down to a shitty seal, despite applying lube it's one of the black ones which I've never found to be nearly as good as the white silicone ones. Held pressure OK to begin with, looks like the lube had partly dried up and the seal hardened a little, must have been absolute shite to be able to actually let beer get out.

Well, that sucks. Moving on. More silicone seals methinks.

The silicone ones I can't remember, I've got a mix of the black rubber ones and the white silicone ones but I'm fairly sure I got the silicone ones online.

I just ordered 6 for $20 from evilbay, won't be here a while but I won't need them for a while.

Meanwhile that keg is currently getting nuked.

Back