First Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
Hi

I'm going to be putting down my first cider on the weekend if I get a chance.

I have 6l of preservative free apple juice from Aldi, and a 1l tin of goldencircle pear juice. I might get another apple and another pear to make a 12l batch.

My wife enjoys a sweet cider, whats the best way to make sure that it doesnt dry out too much? I'd still like it to have a bit of a kick though

I have a coopers ale yeast that I was planning on using for this, is there any reason I shouldnt?

What temps should I have it fermenting at?

Hi

I'm going to be putting down my first cider on the weekend if I get a chance.

I have 6l of preservative free apple juice from Aldi, and a 1l tin of goldencircle pear juice. I might get another apple and another pear to make a 12l batch.

My wife enjoys a sweet cider, whats the best way to make sure that it doesnt dry out too much? I'd still like it to have a bit of a kick though

I have a coopers ale yeast that I was planning on using for this, is there any reason I shouldnt?

What temps should I have it fermenting at?

Look up the yeast on the net... it will have optimum operating temps.. but cooler is generally better.
Pear contains non-fermentable sugar, so it's likely it will be sweeter because of that.
other than that you can find out the tolerance, I'm guessing <11% of your yeast, and try to get a high enough OG to have residual sugars... not easy without adding sugar or honey. Adding sugar will reduce the flavour of the apples considerably.
If you want it carbonated, then it pretty much has to be dry - especially if you're inexperienced, which is where the pear juice will help with sweetness.
If you want it still, you can whack it in the fridge to slow the yeasties, then sulphate and sorbate the batch to kill and stop them breeding.
Otherwise you can ferment it dry, sulphate and sorbate then add sugars back to backsweeten. ie add sweet apple/pearjuice.

Look up the yeast on the net... it will have optimum operating temps.. but cooler is generally better.
Pear contains non-fermentable sugar, so it's likely it will be sweeter because of that.
other than that you can find out the tolerance, I'm guessing <11% of your yeast, and try to get a high enough OG to have residual sugars... not easy without adding sugar or honey. Adding sugar will reduce the flavour of the apples considerably.
If you want it carbonated, then it pretty much has to be dry - especially if you're inexperienced, which is where the pear juice will help with sweetness.
If you want it still, you can whack it in the fridge to slow the yeasties, then sulphate and sorbate the batch to kill and stop them breeding.
Otherwise you can ferment it dry, sulphate and sorbate then add sugars back to backsweeten. ie add sweet apple/pearjuice.

Thanks for the input, it's a coopers kit yeast, so who knows... 17deg seems to be the minimum suggested on forums, so I'll go with that.

I'll add more pear to try and make it sweeter. Thanks for the input.

I too was thinking about trying a sweet cider for the lady so I looked into it a few weeks ago. It seems that if bottling, sweet cider is a bit difficult since the sugars in the juices that you're fermenting are close to 100% fermentable - so the yeast keeps going until the cider is dry.

If kegging, it's easier to control this because you can choose when to finish the ferment (while some sugars are left unfermented), filter the yeast and use the CO2 gas to carbonate the cider.

People have work arounds wih this issue, like killing the yeast with something (Sulphites maybe - I've forgotten) or adding artificial sweeteners but I didn't come across anyone who seemed particularly stoked with their results from these methods.

But you'll never know until you give it a crack! - good luck.

I too was thinking about trying a sweet cider for the lady so I looked into it a few weeks ago. It seems that if bottling, sweet cider is a bit difficult since the sugars in the juices that you're fermenting are close to 100% fermentable - so the yeast keeps going until the cider is dry.

If kegging, it's easier to control this because you can choose when to finish the ferment (while some sugars are left unfermented), filter the yeast and use the CO2 gas to carbonate the cider.

People have work arounds wih this issue, like killing the yeast with something (Sulphites maybe - I've forgotten) or adding artificial sweeteners but I didn't come across anyone who seemed particularly stoked with their results from these methods.

But you'll never know until you give it a crack! - good luck.

I'd like to avoid sulphites if I can, as well as artificial sweeteners.

I'll just get a couple more liters of pear juice. Maybe add some dextrose to raise the starting gravity. Thoughts?

I'll just get a couple more liters of pear juice. Maybe add some dextrose to raise the starting gravity. Thoughts?
Yeah, it sounds like many people do try and avoid those.

I would have thought that you'd be better off raising the starting grav with stuff that's not basically 100% fermentable. I think all the dextrose will do is create more alcohol, rather than sweeten the brew. Maybe some maltodextrin or maybe even some lactose instead?

I've never used either of those so I can't comment on how much to use or even if it's a good idea - hopefully someone else who has used these in the past can provide more advice. KudaPucat reckons that pear juice isn't as fermentable as the apple so I'd definately bump the pear ratio up at least.

Yeah, it sounds like many people do try and avoid those.

I would have thought that you'd be better off raising the starting grav with stuff that's not basically 100% fermentable. I think all the dextrose will do is create more alcohol, rather than sweeten the brew. Maybe some maltodextrin or maybe even some lactose instead?

I've never used either of those so I can't comment on how much to use or even if it's a good idea - hopefully someone else who has used these in the past can provide more advice. KudaPucat reckons that pear juice isn't as fermentable as the apple so I'd definately bump the pear ratio up at least.

In a cider for the lovely wife, a higher alcohol could be a good thing! :p

My thinking was that if I raise the alcohol level, it will get to a point where it cant process any more sugar, leaving a slightly sweeter result....

I agree... but that means a dry cidre unless you want to risk exploding bottles.
Dextrose will sweeten also.
I would make it natural first - (lack of sulphites and sorbate - suggests a level of hippiness that should make natural appealing)
I like to keep all the extras out too, including dextrose etc... nothing I can't grow make or buy from the supermarket ;-)

If you make it natural you may like it
Either way it will give you a feel for what you need to do to move it into you taste range.
My first rule is always - if you don't know... keep it simple, then make a simple change next time, and continue this way on the long path to being an expert.
Also if it's dry and flavourless, sit on it for a year. You'll be amazed by the difference.
After 2.5 years if it's still not good, find a mate with a still.

If it's too dry for you try more pear, try adding dextrose, try filtering, try pasteurising.
Be aware. A filter fine enough to extract yeasties is going to extract a lot of volatiles and aroma too. Pasteurising will also boil off a lot of those same volatiles.

Pretty much, anything but 'letting it come the way it comes' is a challenge and requires more experience than I have.
That's why I'm playing with mead too, the high OG allows you to play with sweetness without cold crashing, filtering, sorbating, sulphiting, pasteurising etc.

My thinking was that if I raise the alcohol level, it will get to a point where it cant process any more sugar, leaving a slightly sweeter result....
I've never gone crazy on the alcohol levels but I would imagine the yeasties would keep chewing trough it until the amount of alcohol became toxic and killed them all off! I guess if you want to produce something around 11%-12% (depends on the yeast) then you might kill the yeast off and get bit of sweetness haha.

Would be like apple and pear wine though!

Then after this, try a cyser... much higher ABV, 12 - 18%

Dextrose is not usually fermentable, I don't think. But I've never tried it.

I've never gone crazy on the alcohol levels but I would imagine the yeasties would keep chewing trough it until the amount of alcohol became toxic and killed them all off! I guess if you want to produce something around 11%-12% (depends on the yeast) then you might kill the yeast off and get bit of sweetness haha.

Would be like apple and pear wine though!

Yes it would be wine (or cyser if you use honey to boost it). To carbonate you'd need to force carb it. If the yeast die off, there's no natural fizzyness available by the time it clears.

You can add artifical sweetners to your liking, ie Equal. When I did my Cider I used a natural non-fermenting sweetner called Stevia. Just stick as much of it as you want into a cup of boiling water and add to your juice.

I wouldn't use the Coopers yeast, my opinion is it would impart too much of a yeasty profile to your cider (think Coopers Pale Ale) which is probably not what you want. I'd go with US05, ferment it out at about 18deg and crash chill for a week then bottle.

Good luck.

Dextrose is very fermentable.
Oh :-(
perhaps I was thinking of lactose... There are sugars that can be added that usually aren't fermentable, but I'm clearly not an expert on such things. I do know some of them are found in pear, but to what level I don't know.

Edit: Google says Dextrose is Corn-sugar... yes VERY fermentable!!!!!!

Google also says Maltodextrine and Lactose are indeed non-fermentable.
Watch out for malo-lactic fermentation - rare by accident, but it can eat non-fermentables.

Edit Again: This link talks of pears and perry, and that pears contain sorbitol - a non-fermentable sugar. Perry pears contain more of it than common pears.
I do not know the proportions though.

Try not to comment on things you know nothing about

Dextrose is 100% fermentable

Then after this, try a cyser... much higher ABV, 12 - 18%

Dextrose is not usually fermentable, I don't think. But I've never tried it.

Alright... I get it. I was wrong. I did retract the statement... calm down guys, sucrose, glucose, dextrose, lactose I just got a little confused. I did mention I'd never used it.

You can add artifical sweetners to your liking, ie Equal. When I did my Cider I used a natural non-fermenting sweetner called Stevia. Just stick as much of it as you want into a cup of boiling water and add to your juice.

Stevia is a great naturally occuring sweet plant, but is hard to grow in Melbourne. We have a plant, but there's no chance of ever getting a harvest from it.
I'm trying to get the father in law to greenhouse it, but to no success atm.

Lactose my friend, that is if you wife isnt lactose intolerant

I made a cider before just using some coopers kit yeast, it was 100% apple and pear juice preservative free.

Og was 1050
Fg was 1000 :( so was very dry, was really nice with a splash of lemonade but I dont want to do this for the next one.

Found a few recipes on here and people recommended about 500g of lactose, this was for a 15-20l batch i think.

I got that from Craftbrewer and also a specific cider yeast, so as soon as the 2 beers get out of my fermenter and into some kegs I will be putting it down.

Lactose my friend, that is if you wife isnt lactose intolerant

I made a cider before just using some coopers kit yeast, it was 100% apple and pear juice preservative free.

Og was 1050
Fg was 1000 :( so was very dry, was really nice with a splash of lemonade but I dont want to do this for the next one.

Found a few recipes on here and people recommended about 500g of lactose, this was for a 15-20l batch i think.

I got that from Craftbrewer and also a specific cider yeast, so as soon as the 2 beers get out of my fermenter and into some kegs I will be putting it down.

I'll look into the lactose, I dont think she is intolerant, no trouble with milk or other dairy.....

I might do a small batch to start, 2 liters apple, the can of pear juice, and see how it comes out.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how it comes out!

Alright... I get it. I was wrong. I did retract the statement... calm down guys, sucrose, glucose, dextrose, lactose I just got a little confused. I did mention I'd never used it.
I don't think we all meant to jump down your throat, just that we were all reading and responding at the same time.

Most of the different adjuncts and their fermentability can be found here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php...ntable_adjuncts

To the OP - Looking at that list you could also give Honey or Maple Syrup a go...

Stevia is a great naturally occuring sweet plant, but is hard to grow in Melbourne. We have a plant, but there's no chance of ever getting a harvest from it.
I'm trying to get the father in law to greenhouse it, but to no success atm.
I just bought it at the supermarket in little sachets, 1 sachet eq to 2 tsp of sugar in sweetness. Found in the same place as the artifical sweetners.

Latest posts

Back