First brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cally

Reaction score
hi i have just done my first brew which was a mangrove jack blonde larger its been sitting in my Cupboard for 2 1/2 weeks now.I had one bottle the other day and it tasted ok i was just wondering if it was best to store it in the fridge or just keep it in the cupboard

Leave it in the cupboard to carbonate and condition more.
Fridgeing it will pretty well stall any progress.

Usually 4-6 weeks will be enough. (If you can wait that long!)
Nothing wrong with sampling a bottle a week as you go.

You want to bottle condition/carbonate close to the same temp you fermented at. Depending on the style could be done in 2 weeks but as beergee says, I usually wait 2 weeks and them sample one each week until it is good. Will be a good learning experience too, you will see how your beer is developing as it conditions

CV
You want to bottle condition/carbonate close to the same temp you fermented at. Depending on the style could be done in 2 weeks but as beergee says, I usually wait 2 weeks and them sample one each week until it is good. Will be a good learning experience too, you will see how your beer is developing as it conditions
Chill the bottle before you drink obviously though

Ok

Ok thanks
it's also good beer tasting practice.
your taste sensors /brain have really good memories that will tell you 'oh, this beer has changed in such and such a way since the last time i tried it.'
if you roll the first sip around your mouth and get the feel for it, the brain puts it into a little 'taste' library for next time.
you can also tell when a beer has peaked or is starting to fade in certain traits eg hops flavour might be dulling down a bit.

Keeping a brew diary is the go. I'm often amazed at how a beer can change in taste over the months. Although I drink my lagers after a few weeks in the bottle, they are definitely better after 3 months. Drinking too much of the dregs in the bottom of the bottle can cause diary.

(That would be diarrhea, rather than keeping a daily log) (Mod edit, with all due respect)

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping a brew diary is the go. I'm often amazed at how a beer can change in taste over the months. Although I drink my lagers after a few weeks in the bottle, they are definitely better after 3 months. Drinking too much of the dregs in the bottom of the bottle can cause diary.
i gather up enough dregs to cap a bottle, then give it to the neighbour. well, he gives ME the shits.

Latest posts

Back