First Brew With Bc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have read that the mills should run 300rpm or less.

I have the exact same XU1 with the dial adjustment on the trigger, and while you can dial in a slow speed with it there is just no torque left to turn the mill with grains in it (I thought the exact same thing). So in order to run the mill you need to put more speed on the drill-what rpm they end up doing I have no idea but it's pretty fast and they shred the grains a bit at that speed. Have a go seeing as you have the drill and see how it works for you. Just be aware they get very hot and it you try running them on the slow side you end up cooking the wiring.

I also have a ryobi 14.4V cordless with the 2 speed settings and on the high torque setting (1) it cranks the mill fine but I figured it would kill my drill before too long if I used it to mill with. It's my most used power tool too.

The yanks seem to use a Bodine gear motor to good effect with a 3/8" too 1/2" Love joy spider coupling. Wish we could get those motors here for the same price as the yanks can get them.

Life with a mill is great though, you'll be stoked when your crushing away on your first 25kg bag of malt.

Cheers. Justin

I was thinking of powering the barleycrusher with the exact same sh*tty drill. Got it from Bunnings a couple of years ago. I'd love to see the wiper motor setup Justin, though I'm not nearly handy enough to rig such a thing up myself.

Looks like the hand cranking may be the go for a bit. My wife thinks arm muscles are sexy so the beer making will have another selling point. :D

i have been using the XU1 for over a year, no smoke and its done the job. It does spin to fast thought, i tend to press the button flat out, on and off ... pain but its working untill i get the motor setup.

Got my BC delivered today. :D

Very cool I must admit. Now I just have to wait until my next brew day before I get a change to try it out (you can only stare at it for so long... ;) )

Very well built, and the sort of service that I think every company should aspire to. From Michigan to my door in five days!

i use a cheap golo 15 $ drill no worries i hammered it a bit before no probs,,,, and i have no way of knowing how fast it going but it better than doing it by hand

Congrats TD, its a pretty cool little device. It went straight to the pool room!!!

jj

Latest posts

Back