How Did Your First Brew Taste?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:drinks: Hi all, ive just put down my 3rd HB and after reading the stories above, i either have no taste for beer or i have great beer goggles, but OMG...it really works.
First one was Mangrove Jack(MJ) Classic Dry Blonde DLM brew pack and Cascade finishing hops, kit yeast, bottle prime raw caster sugar..drank beautifully after 2 weeks, dry crisp good head nice small bubbles 6weeks down the track and friends cant believe it.
No.2 was the MJ Classic Bitter and i did a little adjusting, 0.5 Dex, 0.25 LDM, 0.25 MDex all dry and 250 mls Pure 100% Maple Syrup, kit yeast. This time i bulk primed with 180g raw caster sugar and added the liquid of a steeped Amarillo Hop bag...1 week good head great flavor nice aroma...just hitting week three and its so easy drinking i have to tell mates that im not in..! I have no idea whats happening but i treat these HB like children and they havnt given me grief yet...
Will get back to you all on No.3 soon...experimenting with a Morgans Dark Ale, Cascade 25% Raspberry Fruit Syrup, Vanilla beans and Tetnanger Finnishing Hops...cant wait.
FYI...i am a chef by trade, some say thats a good start...?!
Until next time.

:drinks: Hi all, ive just put down my 3rd HB and after reading the stories above, i either have no taste for beer or i have great beer goggles, but OMG...it really works.
First one was Mangrove Jack(MJ) Classic Dry Blonde DLM brew pack and Cascade finishing hops, kit yeast, bottle prime raw caster sugar..drank beautifully after 2 weeks, dry crisp good head nice small bubbles 6weeks down the track and friends cant believe it.
No.2 was the MJ Classic Bitter and i did a little adjusting, 0.5 Dex, 0.25 LDM, 0.25 MDex all dry and 250 mls Pure 100% Maple Syrup, kit yeast. This time i bulk primed with 180g raw caster sugar and added the liquid of a steeped Amarillo Hop bag...1 week good head great flavor nice aroma...just hitting week three and its so easy drinking i have to tell mates that im not in..! I have no idea whats happening but i treat these HB like children and they havnt given me grief yet...
Will get back to you all on No.3 soon...experimenting with a Morgans Dark Ale, Cascade 25% Raspberry Fruit Syrup, Vanilla beans and Tetnanger Finnishing Hops...cant wait.
FYI...i am a chef by trade, some say thats a good start...?!
Until next time.

Just cracked open my first brew last night same as DaBigBrewski we managed to get spastic on about 14 tallies of mangrove jack blonde. 2 weeks in the bottle, little bit of head not alot of carbonation. It did taste better than expected. drunk in icy cold pint glasses, woo hoo. Looking forward to my next brews. Also bed was spinning last night, but no real hangover this morning to speak of.

Quite a combo. Best of luck. I really hope it doesn't end up tasting like fizzy cough syrup.

My first beer was a Coopers kit with a kilo of cane sugar fermented at 26 degrees. Tasted bloody awesome.

it was actually nice because it was my first attempt and I have a huge ego
but it has only gotten nicer as I now have temp control, sanitation and access to a variety of yeast and hops

Mine was pretty bad was a kit i got for christmas and brewed in summer no temo control, kit yeast and forgot to chuck in the tea bag hop thingo. It was drinkable I guess but I think I only drunk about 3 longnecks out of the whole batch. It was really clear though.

Mine was pretty bad was a kit i got for christmas and brewed in summer no temo control, kit yeast and forgot to chuck in the tea bag hop thingo. It was drinkable I guess but I think I only drunk about 3 longnecks out of the whole batch. It was really clear though.

My first brew wasn't great. Pitched the kit yeast too hot and fermented at about 26 degrees, learnt plenty of valuable lessons though. Number two was a ripper, an amber ale which was very popular with my mates and missus.
:beer:

Latest posts

Back