Coopers Brew A IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extractbrewer

Reaction score
I just tried a coopers brew A IPA I had bottle conditioned for 2 weeks.
Unfortunately the taste was pretty disappointing this time around but I'll see if it improves in 2 weeks conditioning, otherwise it'll probably go down the sink.

Strangely, I have made this same recipe before and it was good, but this time it was not very tasty and the brew was much darker. It was not far off tooheys old colour!

Before, when I have made this the EBC was around 19, this time it was probably around 26. Significantly darker despite the same recipe.

Does anyone know why the same recipe would give a huge difference in colour?

The recipe was:

1 x Brew A IPA
1 x Coopers light malt extract can
pack of US-05
80g dry hop (galaxy) 3 days before bottling.
Brewed around 20 degrees.

Thanks

Either the Kit or the Can (or maybe both) were old.
As LME ages it darkens and loses its hoppyness to if it’s in a kit (think of a kit as LME with hops).
Eventually it will be stout black but long before then it develops some off flavours, including a particularly nasty metallic twang.
Always a good idea to look at dates on kits and cans of goo.
Well, probably there are other things that can cause similar problems, mostly contamination of some sort, but sounds like old to me.
Mark

thanks for the answer Mark

The cans could have been old. I purchased both cans last year, but both were still within the best before date on the bottom. It did taste a little bit metallic.

Back