First bottle bomb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRusty

Reaction score
Bottled an amber two weeks ago to the day. Had been in primary for two weeks using mangrove jacks m10. Yesterday I noticed a smashed bottle. Do you think it's a weak bottle (been using them for years) or should I be worried about the rest? Any advice?

If your satisfied that fermentation had been completed then it may well be a "weak" bottle that perhaps had a hairline fracture from being previously dropped or knocked.

I also don't bulk prime. So there is a chance I had a brain fart and primed with sugar twice thinking I hadn't done it. I
Might wait and see. If more bottles pop I'll engage emergency procedures

Id be leaving them another week and then very carefully opening one. Take note on the level of carb and whether it tastes infected.

Dunno where you store them, but I usually put a drop sheet on top of the crates, just in case one decides to detonate when I'm in the garage.

Ok. So I pryed open a bottle. Gusher. And another. Gusher. etc. etc. Released some gas from one and put it in the freezer. Drinking it now. Such a delicious beer. If it wasn't so carbonated it would be a winner. I don't know what went wrong. Doesn't taste infected. The FG was 1.020 which was about 70% attenuation. Thing is I reused the yeast in a golden age (been in FV two weeks now) and that one's hit 80% attenuation at FG. So maybe I had a yeast stall, and when I primed the bottles it kicked into action again.

I've vented the bottles and will keep doing so. I'll try to reseal and see if I can salvage what I think is a good beer.

Latest posts

Back