First Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably know this already, but make sure you take another hydro reading before you dilute, as the boil will concentrate it. :drinks:

went to lhbs and grabbed some pale, asked him what sort it was and he simply replied "traditional" that means nothing to me.

The Aussie made Joe White malt is called "traditional ale" so that's what he's probably referring to.

Agree with manticle that pH should be the least of your concerns for the time being. For the new all-grainer its better to focus on getting your processes down pat.

All the best.

cheers for the help/encouragement guys. racked into fermenter and pitched this morn so hopefully will have some taisting notes for you in about a month, the extract was awsome 2 weeks old but hops slowly died a bit so i think ill hook into it early.

only thing i might do dif next time is whirlpool b4 i put it down to cool overnight, i wirlpooled it this morn and it just stirred all the shit up again, or i could just not do it at all. but WOW i had to leave alot of shit behind. all up im pretty happy with my process, even though i only got 6.5ltrs from kettle(a good 2 ltrs of shitty trub and a bit of good stuff left), i was still able to add just under 2ltrs of water to bring it down to 1.048 @ 27 degrees,( 1.050 @ 20). which for my equipment, 11.5ltr pot and a 6ltr pot i recon its not a bad effort. probly shouldnt have pitched so high but i gotta go to work and i wanted to get it into the fridge and under way.

BIG NOTE TO SELF: dont use 1.5mtr square of voille in an 11.5ltr pot, its just a pain in the dick. was thinkin of keeping it this big for when i get a 40ltr urn but for the sake of 10 bucks im gunna cut it down to size for next brew

thanks again
red

EDIT still not sure how to calc efficiency but putting in actually og of 1.066 it says for the 8.5ltrs i got effeciency of 71%, i dont think this is right, where as if i put the modified og(after adding near 2 ltrs of water) of 1.050 in as actual, and 8.5 ltrs in as the actual batch volume i get 75% as brewhouse and 54% as "effeciency calculated from actual volume"

easy way to handle big square of voile (1500 X 1000): Fold back clips

L1000013.jpg

And the after, bag resting in another pot:

L1000016.jpg

ok so about 6 days worth of fermenting and its down to 1.009. im assuming this is done but will leave for another couple of days, its actually much lower than beersmith estimated at 1.014. is this a good thing or bad thing? it would be a much thinner beer than anticipated i suppose and taisting my sample supports this, and alot less aroma/flavour in hops than the extract, which i also just taisted the sample of, it finished at 1.016

ok so about 6 days worth of fermenting and its down to 1.009. im assuming this is done but will leave for another couple of days, its actually much lower than beersmith estimated at 1.014. is this a good thing or bad thing? it would be a much thinner beer than anticipated i suppose and taisting my sample supports this, and alot less aroma/flavour in hops than the extract, which i also just taisted the sample of, it finished at 1.016

Depends on your mash temp, at 66C you'd expect a little higher than 1.009. But if you slowly raised the mash temp from the protein rest and the grain sat in temperatures in the low 60s for a little while you might get more fermentables and a lower FG.

yeah when i raised temps it took maybe 10 mins or a little longer, still i wouldnt have thought it would make that much of a dif, anyways im sure it will still be a taisty drop, i do however favour malt forward beers so maybe need to either lisft the bag out completely while increasing temp or work out a way to ramp it up quicker

yeah when i raised temps it took maybe 10 mins or a little longer, still i wouldnt have thought it would make that much of a dif, anyways im sure it will still be a taisty drop, i do however favour malt forward beers so maybe need to either lisft the bag out completely while increasing temp or work out a way to ramp it up quicker

Perhaps have 5-10 L of boiling water ready to dump in and do the protein rest in less water?

Back