First BIAB run

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanboy

Reaction score
Hi all, I am going to run my first 40ltr crown urn this weekend and have 2 questions before i start to keep my mind at ease. I turn the knob to 70 degrees then turn it OFF to mash the grains with insulation wrapped around the urn? secondly I then boil the wort once grain is removed UNCOVERED for the hour I assume is to stop boil over and a sticky mess? Thanks in advance

Yes, another BIAB brewer.
Sounds like a plan. But you may want to measure your temp instead of relying on the urn knob markings. Mine says 70 but is actually about 65. Even my rolling boil shows the dial at about 105. Maybe I should just adjust the marker point.

cheers, I have the day sheet with ingredients and time of additions, also a good brew thermometer for my partial mashes.

Hi, welcome to the obsession. My Crownie is coming up about six years old now. I never touch the temperature dial, just keep it on full.
You'll need a good thermometer, those digital probe ones from kitchen shops usually do a fairly accurate job.

Heat strike water to about 3 degrees hotter than the desired mash, in Cairns at the moment that should be pretty spot on.
Switch urn off at the wall.
Fit bag, mash in and insulate. A good insulator is just a cheap $10 Big W doonah and a couple of occy straps.

You should only lose about 2 degrees over an hour's mash. No need to switch urn back on.

I've never had a boilover but come a bit close, keep an eye on it.

Useful bits of kit:

• Cut a circle of bubble wrap or even two, to fit the urn. Float this on top of the mash for extra insulation.
  • one of these from Robin's Kitchen:
curved roasting rack.jpg

Perfect for keeping bag off element, it sits in snugly.
And they'll sell you a thermometer as well.

Happy brewing: have you checked out this thread?

When you do the mash the temperature can be hard to measure because of the viscosity.

Wynnum, do you BIAB?
Not trying to confuse the OP but a BIAB mash is very runny and he should have no problems at all in measuring the temperature if he gives the mash a good stir.

Oh and on that point, a good mash stirrer is one of these or similar from a Dulux shop, just pump up and down for half a minute and the mash should be well distributed.

paint stirrer.jpg

You don't need to buy everything in one hit, bit at a time.

Yes give a good stir with a 40ltr crown urn if you use to adjust temperature that the mash does not circulate and get hot and cold spots depending where temperature is measured.

As Wynnum says, if you try to use the dial to get the mash temperature happening, for starters it's not really reliable, but even worse it will misread because the mash could be good right at the sensor but 10 degrees colder round the sides of the urn and 10 degrees hotter at the top of the mash due to the "plume" convection.

Just get your strike water at the right temp and switch off at the wall until you are ready to start the heat-up-to-boil sequence.

Urns aren't designed with home brewers in mind, they are for catering establishments and old ladies bingo nights at church halls :p

Awesome guys thanks. I am off to get one of those paddles this arvo. Haha Bribie G its gettin hot alright, everyones pool feels like soup but it makes the beers taste twice as good after a long hot day at work.

Once you get the hang of it you cant go past recirculating and a herms coil on your BIAB system.

Back