First BIAB in progress

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarey

Reaction score
After heaps of reading and advice from guys on this site, I took the plunge and started my first BIAB tonight.

I bought a Little Creatures clone from Marks Homebrew and am using Brewmate software.

I must say, so far it has been fun.

Firstly, one needs sustenance to brew beer so I made a pide (also for the first time). Hope the beer turns out as well as this did.

IMG_0200.jpg

Secondly, bag'o grain

IMG_0203.jpg

Get water to strike temp
IMG_0206.jpg

Bag in
IMG_0211.jpg

Forget to take photo after adding grain

Insulate
IMG_0212.jpg

Insulate more
IMG_0213.jpg

After raising to mash out temp
IMG_0221.jpg

Get rid of bag after squeezing the hell out of it
IMG_0222.jpg

Boil
IMG_0225.jpg

This is where I'm at now. 90 minute boil, added hops and waiting until 10 minutes left to add more hops and brew bright.

I've also been partaking of a kit wheatbeer I made a while back the whole time.... probably too much.

More photos to follow.

Bloody hell. You haven't even burned yourself yet! Better get on to it. Not long left.

Bada Bing Brewery said:
You are doing it wrong. There is not one beer in any of the photos. Lift your game ;)
Carry on
BBB
haha, look closer at the third one :drinks:

bum said:
Bloody hell. You haven't even burned yourself yet! Better get on to it. Not long left.
I have, but thought i'd keep that quiet.....

good one bbb u dick head! although you use of pegs is a bit up market mate ! who can afford pegs these days :p

Well, Its done and in the cube.

I'm glad I wrote everything down due to the fact it took 6 hours from start to finish and my wheat beer took a substantial hit.

Anyways...

Missed the OG by a couple of points, aiming for 1.058, hit 1.055.

Missed the volume into the fermenter by quite a bit, aiming for 23L, hit 20. Probably about 1.5 litre of crud in the bottom of the birko.

Main point: do it in a more ventilated space next time. By about 20 minutes in, the roof was sweating and dripping everywhere. Glad the missus was in bed, she painted the room 3 weeks ago and probably would have been slightly unimpressed with the amount of moisture condensating(sp?) on her nicely painted surfaces.

I was going to calculate volumes etc by measuring the height of the liquid in the urn at different stages. I wrote down the measurements but will calculate tomorrow as my brain isnt up to it ATM re: wheat beer.

All in all, an OK first attempt I think. Would have loved to get a bit more in the fermenter but oh well. Its tastes great anyway.

bruce86 said:
good one bbb u dick head! although you use of pegs is a bit up market mate ! who can afford pegs these days :p
I invested in the pegs because I couldn't get my cat to hold it in place.... paid for themselves I recon

Nice work

I remember my first grain brew, missed every expected level but the beer tasted great!

You get to do yours inside?! I'm banished to the garage to do mine.

Anyway, well done mate...a lotta fun innit. :)

There is one critical piece of equipment missing, you don't have a milk crate anywhere to be seen. It is a well know brewing fact that you can't make decent beer without a grey milk crate. Blue is ok, but grey is better.

A brew dog also results in better beer, but they can be a bit more trouble than a simple old milk crate. They do help you to clean up spills though.

wbosher said:
Seriously, outside in the best place to brew. Bit hard to hose the kitchen down when you spill some. You also avoid the nasty situation that sometimes occurs when SWMBO wants to use the kitchen for something during a 4 - 6 hour period.

wbosher said:

Anyway, well done mate...a lotta fun innit. :)

I dont have a shed, so it was inside or out with the mozzies. Next time I'll definitely be with the mozzies though, hours of running around with a towel wiping the roof down so it doesn't drip everywhere wasn't much fun.

bum said:
Seriously, outside in the best place to brew. Bit hard to hose the kitchen down when you spill some. You also avoid the nasty situation that sometimes occurs when SWMBO wants to use the kitchen for something during a 4 - 6 hour period.
I'd pre negotiated access to the facilities, then she went to bed so that was fine. But you are right, next time its gonna be out the back for sure.

Next day conclusions:

My efficiency wasn't as bad as I originally thought. There was almost exactly 3 litres of crap in the bottom of the urn, taking my post boil volume back to 23 litres, which was bang on target.

So 71% efficiency (according to brew mate) isn't bad for a first go I recon.

Back