First BIAB in progress

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drain into a good food safe bucket. I have a wide one that the mrs was given for her baby shower (washed baby shite out first obviously).

40litre birko

Im halfway through my very first homebrew brew and while I wait for it iv been franticly researching all I can as fast as I can, im interested in getting into partial brews(mini mash?)

just wondering is that just the wort that your making in the kettle? it seems pretty simple but you know what the fear of the unknown does to some people
whats the next step that you will be taking?

am very excited in getting right into homebrew, its a hobby with the best outcome.... beer!

jared23 said:
Im halfway through my very first homebrew brew and while I wait for it iv been franticly researching all I can as fast as I can, im interested in getting into partial brews(mini mash?)

just wondering is that just the wort that your making in the kettle? it seems pretty simple but you know what the fear of the unknown does to some people
Have a look at this thread if you haven't already, jared23. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/5393-partial-mash-starter/ It should answer many questions that you have about partials. Not just the initial guide but also the following comments. It's a decent primer on partials.

jared23 said:

am very excited in getting right into homebrew, its a hobby with the best outcome.... beer!
Jared,

With the Brew in a bag method, all your mashing and boil is done all in the kettle, to as you said, make the wort (extract all the sugars from the grains).

my 2 cents...id recommend just jump in and give a full batch a go rather than go to partials. I thought about doing this myself, and I figured if i'm going to go to that effort, i might as well do the whole thing. Ive just done the same LCPA from Marks Home Brew that acarey did, and it was so surprisingly easy to do. I also missed my SG by a few points but at the end of the day ive made beer from scratch and thats something I never thought i'd be able to do.

Theres a thread on here somewhere written by NickJD called 20L stovetop all grain aussie lager (should be able to find it using search function, if not google nickjd 20L stovetop all grain. This was a good read for me and was a big help getting familiar with what equipment i needed and a rough idea of what process i needed to follow. Lots of pics as well to help explain it all. In my opinion, its a good place to start for a beginner. To simplify things even further...most HBS will also crack your grain for you when you order it.

Cheers

Pist

jared23 said:

Hey Jared, yeah it's super simple. At the end of the boil, you have the wort. All that needs doing after that is cooling and pitching the yeast. Done.

Some people use an immersion chiller and others (including me) just wack it in a cube and ferment it later. I have one in the cupboard for the last couple of weeks waiting for me to empty a keg before I ferment it.

I used the BIAB urn guide(can't think if the exact name) on this forum to get me started.

acarey, just for comparisons sake, I use a keg ive converted to a kettle...and heat that using a 3 ring burner. How long does it take you with the urn to reach strike temp? It took me about 30 mins with the burner...though saying that its not exactly cranking either as ive just got it hooked up to a bbq reg atm. It managed the whole job quite well...just took a while to get up to temp. If I had to do it again...id probably have gone with the urn. If you got a temp controller you can hook it up over night and have strike temp water ready to go the next day.

Yep - if you're going to go partials, go the whole hog. It's not worth the expense or time to do it half done. Unless there is something really stopping you from getting some equipment (which I reckon the 2 pot stovetop AG with Lauter goes some way to fixing) to do full sized batches. It's cheaper as well than partials (extract plus grain plus hops plus yeast starts to get very pricey).

Pist, It only takes about 10 or so minutes the way I do it. I just fill the urn via the hot water tap. This way the water is around 60 degrees to begin with. Before I had the bright idea to use the hot water tap, it would take about an hour.

My typical brew night is:
6:00pm feed, bathe and put child to sleep.
6:30pm heat water to strike temp
6:45pm mash in
6:46 start drinking

it gets hazy after that.

next morning: wake up with hang over, check brew notes to see how I went.

thats not a bad idea mate...thing for me is its just easier to fill it with the cold water. I guess im not doing too badly then for about 30 mins. Mark at Marks Home Brew was real helpful with getting my gear sorted, had everything I needed there to convert the keg. How did the LCPA style recipe turn out for you? I've got mine in the fermenter at the moment and the smell of the hops is fantastic!

The one documented in this topic turned out really well. Loved it!

I've done it since then and my post boil volume was out leaving me with less wort but higher OG. I thought 'what the hell' and fermented it. Came out @ 7.2% but unbalanced and not that nice to be honest. Lesson learned, next time that happens I'll def be adjusting it back to the expected post boil gravity.

I also get all my stuff from Mark. The guy is a real character and really knows his stuff.

Yeah he sure is a character and definitely knows his stuff. I took a hydro sample yesterday to see how its going...and the nottingham has chomped through it already and has gone lower than i was expecting...this yeast is a monster! Downside is it has scrubbed out alot of the hops. Might have to stop in at marks this arvo and pick up a couple of t bags to dry hop it with. I wont be using this yeast with a hoppy beer again as it chews the aroma/flavour up too much lesson learnt. Ive always used us05 and never had that problem...he didnt have any in stock when i picked my grain up

I find if I dry hop after vigorous fermentation has finished, the result it better. You could dry hop in secondary if you rack your beer (i don't).

Back