First all grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghizo

Reaction score
I will soon be doing my first solo all grain, I have ordered a robo brew.
I have helped with one all grain brew day,

Looking on beersmith2 at lots of different recipes, how to choose?
. I don't want to do a clone, but I like pale ales, cerveza, well most beers, so long as not over the top hoppy.

How to choose a first recipe?

Hey Ghizo

As with many before you, the Dr Smurtos ale is a nice one to start off on. Check out the recipe section.

Its good not only as a starting beer, but its a nice beer many continue to brew.

Alternately, check out the other recipes in the recipe section for a paler styler if that is your want.

All the best

Depends on what you want

If you want to learn about the ingredients available to you, start with a SMASH (single malt and single hop). Next brew, try another SMASH or brew the same recipe, but add say 5% crystal, or add another hop, or change the yeast. Many of the worlds best beers are really simple recipes.

If you want a tried and true recipe, that's bloody good, I can recommend Dr Smurtos golden ale, Bribie G's Super Landlord (but with wyeast 1469 if you can), Ross' summer ale or LRGs lord nelson cascading out of a galaxy... In the database. Others may be great, just haven't brewed them

I love how everyone thinks "cerveza" is a style. It's nothing more than the Spanish word for beer. :p

But yes, as above something simple like a SMASH brew would go well as a first recipe, or the DSGA that is very popular.

Considering you don't like overly hoppy beers, try a blonde ale like the one im brewing this weekend:
4.4kg ale malt
0.2kg caramunich1

Cascade @60 to 20IBU

Ferment with us05 at 16deg

You get a decent hop flavour even with a single addition like that, but it's restrained.

Back