First all grain brew has my Yeast stalled?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloveski

Reaction score
Hi all I have my first two all grain brews in my fermenting fridge , both had yest pitched same day , one has fermented out and the other seems to have stalled or may have finished aswell not sure.

My target OG was 1.047 and FG 1.008 my actual OG came in higher at 1.051 and FG has stopped at 1.014. I have attached a photo its a bit hard to tell but there is a decent Krauzen ring but the top of the brew with my limited knowledge looks to have not finished. Currently fermenting at 18C with US-05 as stated in recipe all up been fermenting for about 11 days. 3 days since last check and it hasn't moved

I do not have any more yest to pitch over an hour away from brew shop should I give it a bit of a stir up and maybe raise temp a bit to see if it will kick in again , or is it actually finished?

Thanks in advance

IMG_0273.JPG

If you mashed higher than your recipe anticipated, you'll have a higher FG as a result. Do you think that was a possibility? Could you have mashed around 69-70C instead of 66-67? (not a problem if you did, just means the beer has more body)

Also are you kegging or bottling? If kegging, just keg it and see how you go, not as much effort potentially wasted as if you bottled it all.

mtb said:
If you mashed higher than your recipe anticipated, you'll have a higher FG as a result. Do you think that was a possibility? Could you have mashed around 69-70C instead of 66-67? (not a problem if you did, just means the beer has more body)

Also are you kegging or bottling? If kegging, just keg it and see how you go, not as much effort potentially wasted as if you bottled it all.
No I mashed at 65 using a grainfather , yeah I will be kegging ...............tasted the sample and it bloody tasted awesome to be honest lol its one of the country trading store all grain kits "saturday smasher"
All up not sure why the OG on this one was higher the brew I done the next day the OG was spot on but I did have alot of grain etc in the boil and alot of trub when transfering even though it only had two small hop aditions, but all grain is new to me so not really sure ?

You had a lot of grain in the boil? You mean actual grain chunks in boiling wort?

mtb said:
You had a lot of grain in the boil? You mean actual grain chunks in boiling wort?
yeah some grain in the boil just enough to be noticeable , I'm thinking I didnt have the bottom plate seal in properly and some grain got through as next brew was fine

Ok.
Reason I ask is alcohol affects refractometer readings and need conversion. Common error.

Give gentle stir snd maybe bump up in temp and leave a bit more. I reckon you'll shake 2-3 more points out.

manticle said:
Give gentle stir snd maybe bump up in temp and leave a bit more. I reckon you'll shake 2-3 more points out.

thanks mate I will give that I try

1051 to 1014 is 71.5% apparent attenuation, and it has not moved, its done. 71.5% is a good number, think Goldilocks.

K

manticle said:
Ok.
Reason I ask is alcohol affects refractometer readings and need conversion. Common error.
How do you do this conversion? My refractometer always seemed out so I went back to my hydrometer.

There are various charts and calculators found on the net.

I don't use a refrac so I don't know on what equation they're based on.

Latest posts

Back