First All Grain Brew Down This Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahy268

Reaction score
So my first all grain brew went down on saturday.
Bohemiem Pilsner.
So all being well in about 2 weeks secondary fermentation and then down to lagering temps for a couple of weeks.
Then I'll be hankering to taste it :D
A few things that I've learnt from the experience.
1. I definitely should use my great big gas burner for heating. Took forever to heat on the stove.
2. I will need to make a few modifications to my lauter Tun. Silcone held during mashing thankfully but shortly after I had some pipes fall off that would have been detrimental had it failed during the brewing.
3. I am going to invest in a pump of some sort. 30 Litres of hot wort is heavy. I only weigh about 60kg.. I managed but I wouldn't want to do it too often.
4. I need to kind of immersion chiller or some such. Yet to decide on exactly what sort. Will work that out between now and next brew. However my 40Litre Crab pot takes a while to cool in the laundry tub with just water.

Warwick

Well done.
A pilsener as a first AG is braver than me.
I have a humble APA in the glass (very similar to Sierra Neavda), ESB just bottled.

Lesson I learned:
1. Gravity is your friend
2. Scales measure large volumes more easily than jugs
3. An understanding wife is essential
4. Good beer doesn't last

Many thanks to all on the site who gave so much help and inspiration

Best wishes

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/styl...chickcheers.gif

photo_1.JPG

that looks really tasty!

plus, your head must be that tightly packed in that glass, 'cause your beers not falling out all over the floor :icon_cheers:

when i tip my glass like that, i make a mess....

Lesson i learnt yesterday...

Pick up 25kg of base malt, 1kg carapils...check

Weigh out 5kg grain 250 g carapils into plastic containers whilst getting to mash temp..check

Add grain and put remainder carapils into air tight container....check

Lid on, insulate on....wonder where the other 750g of carapils went..???WTF, guess that went in too

Looking forward to a rather heady beverage...

Cheers,

Strutter

hehe.. good stuff.

I did AG brew #3 over the weekend, reminded me of why:

1) I need to take it outside
2) Get a refractometer sometime
3) Make an insulated Mashtun
4) Get rid of the bag if I'm gonna sparge etc with reliability and avoid burning my hands (mind you, my hands can take HOT much better than some ppl's that work in kitchens).
5) Whirlfloc/Irish Moss is not optional.

On the + side.... Fist time that I didn't spill anything.
Had my first beer before mashing in, it wore off by the first hop addition.
Used a 15 Ltr cube for the first time, dam, those things can swell a lot but managed to squeeze down to next to no airspace.
Carried out a perfect siphon from kettle to cube after filling hose with boiled water.

Latest posts

Back