first all grain.biab recipe please!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louistoo

Reaction score
Hi brewers, after some research and some good extract brews I have decided to try all grain. I'm sure this has been explored before on ahb so apologies! I have a 40lt boiler and have made a ss false bottom. I have a 1.5m square of swisse voille and a burner. So now I just need an easy recipe for my first brew! maybe an APA or a SMASH. moderate bitterness (30 ibu or so) but some good flavour and aroma would be nice! As I don't have any software or a computer I was hoping for help:huh::D

Either:
5 kg pale, ale or maris otter
250g crystal
150g biscuit

Mash at 65 degrees for 1 hour.
Add 25g cascade hops with 60 mins left in the boil.
Add 20g cascade hops with 10 mins left along with half a whirlfloc tab and 2 g wyeast yeast nutrient.
Add 10-20 g cascade to cube if no chilling, to kettle after whirlpool stand if not.
Ferment at 18 deg until at fg, leave 3 days, chill, dry hop with cascade to taste

OR

Look up dr smurto's golden ale and try a version of the all grain recipe.

My above suggestion is rough -different season crops have different aa% and will give different ibu. Use a free spreadsheet like recipator or ianh biab to calculate (use whatever computer/device you used to make your first post to access).

invest time in brewmate. it's free and it helps get your head around how to make a recipe and what each ingredient does (on paper). then brew brew brew and get your ideas around each ingredient's taste so you know what you like :)

www.brewmate.net

Hi louistoo,

Beaten by the previous posters.

My alt to brewmate is http://hbd.org/recipator/

It's fairly intuitive for me anyway.

You can't go wrong with manticles suggestion .... cheers

EDIT: start with 30 lt @ 65C, add grain , then top up with boiling/cool water to 37lt mark at 65-66C.( mostly boiling)

you sould only drop 1C over 60 min mash.

R.

As per manicles suggestions. Dr Smirto.s G A is a great one, have made a few batches of this, using various combo's of fruity American hops. Have some with Cascade and equinox fermenting ATM. Brew mate is the one i use.. Cheers.

Thanks guys! I'll give manticles recipe a go as soon as the weather clears. Just one question though. Why top up after adding grain? would it be ok just to heat 32l to strike temp (2 degrees warmer to account for the grain) doughing in and covering up? Is it just to make it easier to get to strike temp?.. ok three questions!

dr smurtos is alright, but for new brewers, i still think a:

pale malt 94%
crystal 6%

malt bill is the best choice, for the first couple of beers.

it means they get to understand the hop characters of whichever one they use. it's not overly complex so flavours aren't muted or lost, but also, isn't a SMASH (so not as one-dimensional as SMASHs can be).

fletcher said:
dr smurtos is alright, but for new brewers, i still think a:

pale malt 94%
crystal 6%

malt bill is the best choice, for the first couple of beers.

it means they get to understand the hop characters of whichever one they use. it's not overly complex so flavours aren't muted or lost, but also, isn't a SMASH (so not as one-dimensional as SMASHs can be).
Did a very similar malt bill to this for my first couple of AG (BIAB) brews 14 months or so ago.
95:5 ratio for me with hop additions to about 30IBU (Cascade for the first brew and Citra for the second) using a clean fermenting yeast (BRY-97 in my case).

Was amazed at how good they tasted.

Good luck!

Just the sort of guidance I was after. Thanks all, I'll give it a go and keep it simple.

It doesn't really matter how you vary it Smurto's golden is pretty bulletproof.

Why top up after adding grain
1. until you get to know you system and capacity.
2. I found I needed to start with 36-37 lt minus losses (trub and yeast) = 30 lagre bottles batch (same as K&K)

G.

Welcome to a great hobby.

I always recommend new brewers to pick an Ale beer that they have tasted and like as a starting point. Something to aim for to get started. Then build from there.

Say you've tasted Sierra Nevada, or a Fat Yak, 150 lashes, or a Hobgoblin? Then go and make one of them or what ever you want to emulate.

Fylp posed 2 options but there are more.

Brewbuilder lets you choose a recipe from a database, or build a recipe and later on tweak it, then just order it. You can keep your own private versions of the recipe too as you tweak it.

Brewman

Hi all, I went with:
5kg Maris Otter 6
250g caramalt 60
and mosaic to 31ibu with most at 80c. Mashed at 66c for 90mins. Currently 30mins into boil. Who's patron saint of brewers then? fingers crossed, but it certainly looks the biz. Oh 35lt start and 1.5lt sparge of bag...

Wow long day! Just pitched my yeast, 21c 1.056 og. I am veery pleased! lots of what looks like hot break in fermenter. No whirlpool but innefectual bazooka thingo. Anyways stoked so far:D

23.5lt wort lots pf break!

Fylp said:
Brewmate over brewsmith?
when you're first starting out, yes. beersmith is amazing but it's a LOT of information (a lot of which isn't so important) to take in. kinda like sprinting before learning to walk in my opinion.

80 % pale
10% Xtal light-med. dont matter
10% wheat

Bitter to 35 IBU

POR at 60mins for 27-30 IBU
SAAZ at 15m & 6m for 5-6 IBU

Dead simple. A recipe you cant really go wrong with.

Latest posts

Back