First Ag Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkale

Reaction score
Well all

It had to happen sooner or later better now than later thats for shaw. BIG THANKS to Bindi :beerbang: as we did this brew at his place so without him I would not have this brew.
I learned so much in half a day with Bindi it was great ,I can now do this same brew at home myself as Bindi kept it nice and simple ( like me ) so I dont need much gear and I can put my new SS 50lt pot to good use.
The brew we made was an American Amber Ale batch sparged and the no chiller method good grass roots stuff :p got a lot of trade secrets from Bindi so as to make my AG brewing as least complicated as possible , that is good for me as Im not very smart but I can lift heavy beers. so this is the brew that will be going to the QLD case swap.

4.50kg Pale Malt
0.50kg Munich II
0.25kg Caramalt
0.20kg Wheat Malt
0.13kg Melanoidin
25.0gm Simcoe (60 min)
20.0gm Amarillo Gold (15 min)
10.0gm Amarillo Gold (0 min)
0.25gm Whirlflock (15 min)
1 Pkg Safale US-56

OG 1.060 sg
FG 1.018 sg
A by vol 5.5%

So now I have number one under my belt I cant wait to do another, and to pick the brains of brewers on this great site. :super: so once again thanks Bindi.

Cheers Monkale

Well done Monkale!

All these first AGs are making me ichy to start doing it myself!

Once the funds roll in i'm there!

Once again well done! hope the beer comes out a treat!

Foz

Well done MonkAle,

I'm up to number four so I am familiar with the overwhelming sense of satisfaction that you are probably experiencing at the moment. Bet you can't wait to drink it.

Looks a substantial brew. What have you named it?

Hey Foz, I was a bit worried about cost as well, but the AG is actually substantially cheaper than kit and bits. I found an AG brew is about $15 to $20 for 20l. Cheaper than good kit plus malt plus hops etc. Sourced all my gear from el cheapo $2 type shops and vinnies type shops as well. In fact all you need is a pot to do the boil. Use two smaller ones if you have to. It will be worth it.

Floculator

Tim

Hey thanks guys

No I have not got a name for it yet maybe I should call it Zeus"s Dribble :p zeus being Bindis dog second in command who helped out heaps.
Foz you should just dive straight in if you can get someone down your way to give you a demo its a lot simpler if you see it done, all the stuff you read makes sence then.

Cheers Monkale :party:

And the great beers you brought around to sip as we brew Monkale were worth all the effort. :) Yum
24L of sweet wort on your AG at 1060 :p outstanding.

Sorry, just been over my notes on the day, not 1060 but 1056, refrac 13.5 :) still fantastic on your first go, I was only watching and drinking :D . extra edit .5 refrac out

ahhhhh your a gonner now.

My next one will be No.50 :)

mmmmmmmmmm what to brew.

A stout?
a bitter?
something with the Nelson sauvin hops i got from ross?

mmmmmm a stout bitter of a bitter stout?

Ahhhhhhhhh i love AG brewing.... the opertunities are endless.

cheers

Latest posts

Back