First Ag Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, will need to organise some sort of pulley system - ill just have to move my brewing area out of the kitchen - the girl will be v happy bout that!

pics on the blog helped a heap...

My favorite bit of brewing bling is my pulley system. About $100 worth of SS/nylon boat fittings. :) Of course it gives about 5x the mechanical advantage I really need for regular brews. Still, will be just the ticket if I ever try to cram 40Kg of grain into my 60L pot :) That'll force me into a higher grist/liquor ratio.... :)

T.

ok, so the beer is ready to drink and I've been questioned on another thread as to how it turned out... so to keep the other tread on topic, I'll post the details here...

so... althought I'm proud of my first AG - everyone likes it etc, I can sometime taste a bit of a "cardboard" taste on the finish - no one else seems to notice it... I might be crazy... :blink: sometimes I can't taste it... so I drink them and try not to look for the wierd taste...

I thought I'd read somewhere that cardboard flavours are due to oxidation...

I made as many people as I could at the recent vic case swap try it and tell me if they could notice anything wrong with it, but the only comments I remember (yes I was very drunk) were that it could be that the yeast hadn't settled properly at the time (only ~10 days in the bottle). I don't think anyone else could taste the carboard

sorry but i didnt get to taste it.. where was my offering? or did HWDMB scoff them and take a nap? :p

cardboard = oxidation.. i'd say you may have picked it up when bottling, getting HSA is a hard thing todo.. ive had stuck mashes where ive scooped the grist out of a mash tun 3 times without any ill effects.

sorry but i didnt get to taste it.. where was my offering? or did HWDMB scoff them and take a nap? :p

cardboard = oxidation.. i'd say you may have picked it up when bottling, getting HSA is a hard thing todo.. ive had stuck mashes where ive scooped the grist out of a mash tun 3 times without any ill effects.

sorry fourstar - I don't know where you were when I was offering around

the wierd thing about the cardboard is
1. other people can't taste it
2. I could taste it when it was fermenting, so it can't be from bottling

sorry to hijack the thread ww... at least it was about beer...

Four star can you explain HSA?

sorry to hijack the thread ww... at least it was about beer...

Four star can you explain HSA?

Basically, incorporating air into the wort before its at ambient temps. Essentially O2 attaches itself to other compunds in the wort and as it ferments out it breaks down and creates off flavours. cardboard is one of them.

see the bibles response here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

sorry fourstar - I don't know where you were when I was offering around

the wierd thing about the cardboard is
1. other people can't taste it
2. I could taste it when it was fermenting, so it can't be from bottling

maybe the taste is a hint of 'swiss voile' or anything else that was new for your first ag. eg. new no chill cube or new plastic taps or spoons.

Maybe you did get some HSA.. strange.

whats your malt bill?

I used Dr smurto's golden ale recipe exactly as on recipe DB

maybe the taste is a hint of 'swiss voile' or anything else that was new for your first ag. eg. new no chill cube or new plastic taps or spoons.

It was a while ago now so my memory is a bit hazy, but I think I boiled a batch of water in the urn (with the bag in place) then drained the water and replaced it with fresh water prior to mashing - I'll have to check my notes at home to see if I did do this. I'm also pretty sure that the NC cube had been used before as a secondary fermenter, but there was a new piece of tubing that I used to transfer from the urn to the NC cube. I did run boiling water through it to clean it before use, but I porbably should have tasted the run off to check if there were any wierd flavours coming out of it.

I would very much doubt that it was the swiss voile!! Was the tubing silicone? If it was then it wouldn't have added any flavours either.
Maybe you where just imagining it if no one else could taste it.

I would very much doubt that it was the swiss voile!! Was the tubing silicone? If it was then it wouldn't have added any flavours either.
Maybe you where just imagining it if no one else could taste it.

as I pointed out in my initial post... I may just be crazy :blink:

no the tubing wasn't silicon - it was a last minute, what do I have at home that fits over the tap?!?! because the tubing I was intending to use I couldn't get to stretch over the tap. My housemate produced a piece of heavy duty nylon (I think) tubing and as I was desparate I used it without fully investigating whether it was food grade and up to the job... so I have suspecting this hose from the start, bu the taste isn't 'plasticy', or at least what i'd imagine it would taste like if the plastic had leached into the hot wort.

Latest posts

Back