Fire Extinguisher Co2 Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its time to get my 3.5kg extinguisher filled and gave Blaze a call only to be told it would cost $65 :blink: (I wasnt talking to Steve) Is this the normal price? Has anyone found somewhere cheaper in Brisbane?

Cheers
Jye :beer:

Jye said:
Its time to get my 3.5kg extinguisher filled and gave Blaze a call only to be told it would cost $65 :blink: (I wasnt talking to Steve) Is this the normal price? Has anyone found somewhere cheaper in Brisbane?

Cheers
Jye :beer:
[post="115883"][/post]​

Jye,

For $50 you could send the bottle here to Canberra, and I would get my local bloke to fill it for the $14 that he asks for and you would the $1 better off!

I will ask my fire protection guy here if he has any affiliation in Brizzy.

BTW while you are calling your fire guy a bandit, my contact quoted me a 5kg reconditioned, re-tested and stamped, filled bottle, with the correct nozzle for a Harris 601 for (about) $65.00 I am running a 3.5, but may upgrade at some stage.

M

Jeez mandraker - I might be PM'ing you soon to get me one too. Thats a bargain...how long does the 3.5kg one last you?
Cheers
Steve

mandrakar said:
get my local bloke to fill it for the $14 that he asks for

Holy sh*t that's cheap!

I'll be in touch when my smaller "food grade" cylinder runs out! :beer:

PZ.

I will ask my fire protection guy here if he has any affiliation in Brizzy.

Cheers mandrakar, that would be great :beerbang:

I managed to pick mine up for $100 filled, tested and with the correct fitting with a back door deal at Cubb... I was happy with the price until you came along :D

Anyone know of a good fire extinguisher place in the Newcastle area that I can take my 3.5kg to?

Steve said:
Jeez mandraker - I might be PM'ing you soon to get me one too. Thats a bargain...how long does the 3.5kg one last you?
Cheers
Steve
[post="115885"][/post]​

I have done about 10 kegs out of it so far, but I use a brumby tap, directly connected to a liquid out connector. As a result, I have to de-gas to about half a psi to dispense, and then crank it back up to 10 after I finish. Gets really wasteful when the keg is getting toward being empty, and you only draw a couple of beers. Having said that, it still is going strong, and if it runs out now, then it has cost me $1.50 a keg. Will be probably 3 or 4 times more efficient when I have a balanced system into proper font/taps.

M

Hey Man,

You can run a balanced system with the setup you have...in fact I did so for about 5 months before door-mounting my taps :)

I tried using the pressure calcs available online, but they don't seem to work with this setup.

You can call me and we'll get it working right for you :beer:

PZ.

:) Hi All,

I am new to this site so sorry if post is a bit screwy. I found the following site about CO2 and how it behaves. It also has information about thread sizes and what fits what and where to get adapters, screw valves and so on. (http://www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/co2_info.htm)

My interest is in finding out how I can get a scuba tank re valved and re tested as a high pressure (liquid) co2 container. I want it for home brewing, refilling soda stream and runing on my MIG welder! Not much to ask!? Anyone done such a thing?

Cheers to all, Ozbloke

Hi OzBloke, welcome to AHB :)

That's a fantastic link to the CO2 info you put up there. It's answered a lot of my own questions as well. Cheers for that! :)

I've been doing a little bit of research about the SCUBA tank idea as well. Over the last couple of months I've been collecting all sorts of pressure cylinders, mainly CO2 extinguishers of varying sizes, but I scored a large aluminium SCUBA tank as well.

I couldn't find any info on re-valving one, or anyone that has done it before either, but that's not to say it can't be done.

The bigger question is if you can get the SCUBA tank refilled with CO2 or not. I guess if you can decant the CO2 on your own, you'll be ok, but some of the gas suppliers can be a bit narky about non-standard bottles.

Please let us know what you find.
Regards,
Tim.

There is a reason for that Phark it's called

Duty of care

Funny, I have a customer in the shop right now who is an engineer; he was just saying that where he works they practice saying "Your Honour" after things, like we thought it would be OK "Your Honour".

If you arent comfortable explaining what you choose to do to a judge dont do it.

In my experience the same mind-set that can't bring it self to spend $300 or so on a safe approved pressure vessel, would sue at the drop of a hat, or any other minor disaster.

I am a refiller; I can't expose my business, my staff or my self to the risk, just so you can save a couple of dollars.

MHB

:)
My interest is in finding out how I can get a scuba tank re valved and re tested as a high pressure (liquid) co2 container. I want it for home brewing, refilling soda stream and runing on my MIG welder! Not much to ask!? Anyone done such a thing?

Cheers to all, Ozbloke

Oz, I wouldn't bother. Fire extinguishers are readily available & quite cheap. Even off the shelf cylinders such as My keg on legs are inexpensive when compared to the BOC alternative.

You need to consider the risk vs reward & amount of effort involved. I consider rethreading & retesting a scuba tank to be something that would require a fair amount of effort (& dollars) for a minimal return considering the risk you pose to yourself & others. This is especially so when you consider the alternatives available using pressure vessles which have been specifically designed & tested for the purpose of holding liquid CO2.

You should be able to do all of the things you list with a fire extinguisher / commercial bottle & a regulator safely without the hassle, time, effort, expense & uncertainty that surrounds converting a scuba tank.

One thing I learnt when I did my trade was "just because something is possible, doesn't mean that you should do it". I believe that premis is very apt here.

Thanks for the link.

Beers Crozdog

There is a reason for that Phark it's called

Duty of care

Funny, I have a customer in the shop right now who is an engineer; he was just saying that where he works they practice saying "Your Honour" after things, like we thought it would be OK "Your Honour".

If you arent comfortable explaining what you choose to do to a judge dont do it.

In my experience the same mind-set that can't bring it self to spend $300 or so on a safe approved pressure vessel, would sue at the drop of a hat, or any other minor disaster.

I am a refiller; I can't expose my business, my staff or my self to the risk, just so you can save a couple of dollars.

MHB

Didn't think he asked you to fill it for him, tell your customers, not the forum.
Whatever.gif

Lame.gif

Screwtop
Phrak commented that some refillers were "getting a bit narky about non standard bottles".

I was simply giving a reason.
I thought that was obvious
MHB

Screwtop
Phrak commented that some refillers were "getting a bit narky about non standard bottles".

I was simply giving a reason.

MHB

I know that's your reason for not doing it MHB, I just get a serious case of the shits with this mentality. Check out your liability, ask questions of your legal advisor, check your risk exposure, you'll get a real surprise! You may find you'll have to install protective refill cages and all sorts of other equipment, maybe staff should wear blast jackets and face masks while refilling cylinders, if you want to be at least less than 50% responsible for anything happening on your premises. Look, on second thoughts why not stop refilling the bloody things altogether! was that the sky falling?

Any container under pressure can explode, within test or not, the test date is an indicative period for containers exposed to what could be considered reasonable storage environments. You'll still end up in court and you will still have legal costs. And the employee/person injured will still be injured, cylinder in test or not. No insurance company is going to let you off because of a date on a gas bottle, just go up against one, they'll find all sorts of other contributing factors, all of which will be completely your fault.

If someone doesn't want to fill a dreaded "non-standard" container then that's fine with me, I'll add him to the narks list and continue looking, we all understand why some won't do it, but some will, and that's what he's looking for. Thats it! Got it!

Add MHB to the Nark list Phrak :D

Very helpful dude over our way Screwtop.will fill fire extinguishers and other bottles as well,also sells the extinguishers dip tude removed. :super:

Batz

Well said Mike,
unfortunately our great aussie culture has caught up with the yanks in the " it's not my fault" dept. When I buggered my grain mill rollers I was too embarassed to take them back to my mate that made them. I had them re-knurled by another mate and went to the local platers to get them replated. "What are they for?" I was asked... to make beer I said. They then refused to do it saying what if someone got some of the plating in their beer" I just stood there open mouthed thinking what is wrong with these wankers and what sort of a world is my boy going to grow up in.

cheers

Browndog

Very helpful dude over our way Screwtop.will fill fire extinguishers and other bottles as well,also sells the extinguishers dip tude removed. :super:

Batz

Maybe we should organise a B___ B__
Sinking.gif

Hi all, first time poster, only found this website while looking for someone to make an adaptor for a Cornelius regulator to fit a refilled fire extinguisher for my new keg setup (long time plastic bottle beermaker before that).

For anyone in Adelaide who is after 5kg fire extinguishers, call Ken at Ceasefire on 0408 676 720 and he will be happy to tee it up for you - very helpful people there.

Cost me $120 for the extinguisher, filled up, and costs about $25 for each refill

I still need to find an adaptor though as the extinguisher has some thread much smaller than the Cornelius regulator. I know bugger all about the different types of threads, so will be taking both units along with me to the local gas/plumbing supplier and hoping this is something they stock.

If I am successful, I will post up later where to get them from.

Got myself a Corona clone going atm, will be gassing her up on Saturday for my birthday on Sunday, hence the urgency of finding an adaptor.

Hope this is useful to anyone in Adelaide who is after one of these units, maybe have a sticky put up with suppliers of them in each state?

Crundle

OK, after spending several hours driving around trying to find an adapter for my CO2 bottle to the regulator, I have found nothing suitable. I went to BOC, Pirtek (gas and hydraulic fittings) and various hardware and plumbing suppliers. I will have to get an adapter machined up at work by one of our fitters (bet this will cost me at least a bottle of bourbon).

The guy who I bought the cylinder off of did mention that fire extinguishers are meant to sit there NOT being used, hence why it is better to only use it to gas when needed, not leave it on all the time.

Hoping this gets done before Sunday.....

Crundle

Latest posts

Back