Fire Extinguisher Co2 Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fill mine from my boc Co2 bottle up too as high as the regulator goes.

Jayse

Just beer line thats it.

Jayse

Yep,

The extinguishers are 2.0 KG and are Brand New. The upside down thing is so you don't waste the gas that's in it.

The only reason you bring the bottle to me is that the Fire Guy is working for a fire crowd and doesn't want to be inundated with individual queries.

There is no margin in this for me, might sound odd but it's true. If more brewers are getting into kegging cheaply, then more brewers will brew more often so I have more sales opportunities.

I reckon my product is terrific and represents good value for the brewer, but it's up to your palate to decide that, not me.

Incidentally, ANY fire crowd should be able to assist with supply AND filling.

Regards
Dave Stewart
Principal
Goliath Brewing Adelaide
www.brewgoliath.com.au Now Secure SSL!

NO MORE RENT.

I just got my 5kg alum on fri in Bris, works great. It was fun finding a shop that would sell me a second-hand ext. Most people I called said that it was illegal to sell a second-hand ext. But in the end it worked out, I got mine for $100 filled & pressure tested and the reg just screws straight on. The guy also said that the people that they get their gas from have pub beer gas on there truck. And they will fill it anytime for $35.

mainpic2.jpg

DaveR, that looks fantastic. I live in Brisbane and want to get one. Can you post the details, or PM me? I definitely want a 5kg bottle, which sounds better than the 2kg job, which would require filling every few months, by the sound of it.

Cheers - Snow

Guys,

They look great. Does anyone know of anyone who sells these in Sydney.

About to start kegging, and would be good not to pay annual rental on a cylinder.

Cheers,
Jase

DaveR said:
NO MORE RENT.

I just got my 5kg alum on fri in Bris, works great. It was fun finding a shop that would sell me a second-hand ext. Most people I called said that it was illegal to sell a second-hand ext. But in the end it worked out, I got mine for $100 filled & pressure tested and the reg just screws straight on. The guy also said that the people that they get their gas from have pub beer gas on there truck. And they will fill it anytime for $35.

mainpic2.jpg
Just trawling some old threads because I just got myself a keg syetup, but need a gas cylinder. DaveR, where did you get your extinguisher from, and how much?

jase

i have rung a few places in syd and found a place called "betta fire" in northern beaches.

i still need to sort out my kegs, reg and fridge but was planning on sorting and giving the guys there a call in the near future.

initial feedback from them was that it should be possible and they would prob need a bottle or two of homebrew

let me know where you end up suceeding as i wont be too far behind

hopefully

DaveR

would appreciate contact as well, if it's not too much trouble...

Ross said:
DaveR

would appreciate contact as well, if it's not too much trouble...
Don't know if we'll get a reply from DaveR, he hasn't been on here for a few months, from what I can see. However, I think he posted in another thread that he got his from Blaze Fire at Loganholme. I just went there today. Sounds like they have had a few enquiries from home brewers lately. DaveR got a second hand cylinder and was lucky that the adapter fits the regulator. Steve at Blaze is the man to talk to. I bought a brand new 5kg extinguisher, dip tube removed, with gas, delivered. It will be ready in a couple of days. Steve says that the 2nd-hand extinguishers are quite hard to get a hold of, because only some of them have the right fittings.

My new extinguisher is ~$250, which is a lot, but I can't be farked with BOC (Bunch of C*nts?), and if I only use it for 2 years it will have paid itself off. Give Blaze a call if you're on the Southside.

Thanks Barney - At that price I'll wait a while - My BOC bottle is still on my old Company's books - just keep my fingers crossed they don't inspect the yearly bill too closely...

couldn't be happier, last bit of keg setup I needed was the co2 bottle. I went to a couple of extingusher refit guys and on my second try got a 3kg aluminium bottle with 5 years to go before testing, head put on to fit my regulator, dip tube cut off and filled!

all for 6 of my best home brew and will refill any time for a couple more! :D

Have any fellow Pertherts been down the co2 extinguisher track, if so spill the beans, I have acquired a couple of fire putter outers.

Not yet vlad ut interested, from what I gather if you get the right head for them your reg should screw straight on. Once that's the case I don't think gettng it filled should be a drama.

Im paided up with BOC until Dec so its on my list but not too high atm.

Yesterday I accosted the guy from firemain who was servicing our fire system at work. He couldn't give me any useful info, only that they got thier extinguishers from Wormald or Chubb.

Sounds like we need a man on the inside.

Yesterday I was working out in the store ( I work for a wholesale industrial supplier ) & booked in some 5Kg Co2 ex extinguishers for stock.
Opened the boxes to have a geezer & was happy to find they have the right head to accept a C02 reg :D

By reading this thread it seems you cah use these unmodified if ya have them upside down? Then when its empty remove the syphon tube before having it refilled?

Looks like they sell for around $200.

Guys,

sorry to pull up an old thread, but I have been going down this path recently, and have come across a hurdle that I hope you guys can help me with...

I was talking with a extingushser service place, and they directed me to a bloke who had apparently done this to a few bottles...

He told me that all fire extinguisher handles leak when used, and so if you screw the regulator to the head directly, then if you leave the handle 'on', the CO2 leaks out of the handle and so no good? (apparently all extingushsers are like this due to a simple o-ring seal in the handle

have any of you guys experienced Co2 leakage around the extintguisher handle, particularly when gassing the keg for a few days??

thanks

D

Well mine hasn't leaked so far as much as I'm aware. Mine is a Chubb 5kg aluminium with a Fireguard valve/head (the reg screws directly to it) and I have had it over a year and it's still not empty so I'm guessing no leak, although it is bloody close to empty. I expect to have to fill it in the next week or two. I should have weighted it before the fill and once filled so I know how much gas remains.

I guess that possibility of leaking might exist with some of them. I know the valves aren't really designed to be open/closed often but I have used mine heaps and still haven't had problems. I assume there are rebuild kits for the valves too, even if there aren't for what BOC or Air Liquide charge for bottle rental here I could still replace the valve every year and be ahead. So far so good though.

Cheers, Justin

Hey dallas,

When I gas up with my extinguisher I never leave the handle locked down (I do it out of fear of the regulator flying off and the aftermath that could occur :p ... I know its stupid) I gas up using the Ross Method and then when the serving pressure starts to drop give it a squirt of co2 to top it up. I used to gas up at 300 for a couple of days but I wouldnt leave the handle locked, I would just top the gas back up to 300 each morning and night.

I am still relatively new to kegging only having done about 8 but I have never had a problem with my extinguisher.

Cheers
Jye :beer:

Back