Fire Extinguisher Co2 Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin said:
Cool banana's Ausdb if that's how it is then that's how it is, I'm no gas expert. I was of the understanding that in order to fill a bottle with "liquid" gas you needed to bleed the head space of gas in the receiving vessel to lower the pressure slightly allowing liquid to flow into the new vessel and fill from the bottom up.

FWIW I picked up a new soda stream bottle the other day (the 330g alu), traded in the old steel bottle-Kmart wouldn't exchange the old steel bottle so I had to try elsewhere and eventually got it swapped over to a new bottle. It's doesn't appear to have a bleed off screw either like the old steel ones did. Portable 3 gallon kegs are go with my second reg and Hoops soda stream adapter.
[post="77008"][/post]​

No worries Justin,

I'm not sure exactly how to do the big ones, Batz will pipe in possibly. To fill a new sodastream or paintball cyl you need a tee in the filling line which has a valve on it. You open the filling cylinder squirt a blast of CO2 in to the one to be filled. Close the valve on the main cylinder, crack the valve on the tee to let the CO2 out that you just blew in and it chills the bottle instantly. Close the tee valve and then quickly open the fill cylinder valve and fill your cylinder by weight.

If you get the receiving cylinder cold enough you can just fill by pressure differential. We used to decant refrigerant gases at work this way all the time as you don't want to be venting refrigerant away to waste all the time. 1 it upsets the environmental types and 2 refrigerants are expensive!

I filled a steel sodastream the same way from a fire extinguisher last week with GL's dodgy fitting (which doesnt have the tee'd off valve, we decided this needs to be added for the new ones). I blew in a shot of CO2 from the extinguisher, cracked the bleed valve to let it out and the bottle got nice and cold. Nipped up the bleed valve and then let a nicely timed blast of CO2 into the sodastream from the extinguisher. As his fitting is solid copper tubing we couldnt weigh it but I put it on a set of scales after filling and had managed to get exactly 250g into it!

Hi all Fire Extinguisher gas bottle Guru's,

I've just got my aquisitive hands on a 3.5kg Chubb type CO2 fire extinguisher.

AHB_Extinguisher.jpg

AHB_Extinguisher_other_side.jpg

The end of my post got cut off...

Pressure tested August 2005, and only recently used.

What I want to know is can you get an adapter to get this to fit onto a standard Harris 601, or is it easier/better/less expensive to get one of those SV50-C heads that were mentioned at the start of this thread?

Just have to take out the dip tube...

Do you have your reg? Have you tried it on?

You might find it fits without any modification.

Joel said:
Hi all Fire Extinguisher gas bottle Guru's,

I've just got my aquisitive hands on a 3.5kg Chubb type CO2 fire extinguisher.
[post="96439"][/post]​

Looks like if you screw out that hose you maybe left with a female thread.
You will need to get the correct threaded nipple to fit both the bottle and the reg. this will probley be some type of reducing nipple.Just take it to your local extinguisher place with the reg.
Sometimes they are helpful.

Batz

There are 2 types of trigger mechanism for a 3.5 kilo bottle.

One fits a Harris reg straight on, the other requires an adaptor.

I am fortunate to have found a really handy fire extinguisher bloke. He sold me the right trigger (new) for $26.00. I guess that would have been comparable to a brass adaptor anyway.

Works a treat.

M

So, the question now becomes can anyone recommend a fire extinguisher place that is receptive to homebrewers in distress in either Adelaide or Newcastle (moving to NSW in the new year).

howdy Joel,
batz is spot on . just unscrew hose and take it and your reg to a plumber/gas fitter, machinery parts shop even a mechanic and say i want something to join this (reg) to where this (hose) came from. I have a couple of the same bottles and did just this. If these guys dont have something they will probably tell you exact size and where to get it . should only cost a few bucks tops..

cheers halfinch.

You have three choices:

* Buy or get an adaptor machined to fit the regulator and use it upside down cost you about.
* If it has just been used anyway discharge it in full get a fire exinguisher mob to take off the trigger assy and remove the dip tube, reassemble and refill + adaptor.
* Discharge remove trigger assy & dip tube and replace with a C02 shut off valve.

Hillbilly

To all who store their CO2 bottles in the fridge...

Noticed that when I stored my (unused) extinguisher in the fridge, the indicated high side pressure dropped from 1000 PSI to about 850.

Has anyone else noticed this? Only reason I ask, is that I have used this bottle to carbonate 1 keg via the Ross method, and it has maybe half dispensed it.

I would not have expected to see the high side pressure move at all for quite a few kegs yet (3.5 Kilo bottle)

Could the pressure inside the bottle drop as temp drops?
Could the reg change it's calibration with such a temp decrease?
Could I have been given a dud fill, and the bottle is actually close to being empty?

How long do the gurus get out of their extinguishers?

I have left the bottle connected, but with the trigger off, and reg wound down.

The low side has maintained a pressure of between 10-15 PSI.

Am I doing anything Numpty?

As always, advice welcomed...

M

well yeah a decrease in temperature will result in a decrease in pressure as the gas will become denser. its quite likely that the gas bottle would show a drop in pressure

The universal gas law is PV=nRT
For a fixed amount of gas molecules, pressure is indirectly proportional to volume (double the volume of the cylinder, halve the pressure).
Pressure and volume are directly proportional to temperature - double the temperature double the pressure.

Temperature is measured in Kelvin.
Room temp is about 298 Kelvin.
Your fridge is at about 277 Kelvin.

If the volume of headspace and number of molecules in the head space stayed the same, then the pressure change in the bottle by putting it in the fridge would be:

Pressure = 1000psi times 277K/298K
=930 PSI

You saw a bigger drop than that which I guess relates to an additional effect of less gas molecules, since at a cooler temp a few more gas molecules in the head space decided to rejoin the liquid.

Something like that anyway.

Ok.... Then I guess what your'e trying to tell me, is that it is not too far out of the ordinary.

Phew! :huh:

I guess the proof in the pudding thing will be the number of kegs I get to carbonate and push out before it actually runs dry....

Then I will reconsider getting a 5kg or not..... (and maybe a 2kg for the portable option...)

Thanks GL

Ps: I once knew all of those boyle's ish formulae, but its been well over 20 years since I have had to apply them. :beerbang:

M

mandrakar said:
Then I will reconsider getting a 5kg or not..... (and maybe a 2kg for the portable option...)

[post="97006"][/post]​

Thats what I run....A 5kg for the keg fridge(freezer actually) and a 2kg for the party jobbie...and a few 3.5's for in-between times....

Gday all first post here.I am going to brunie to live (just came back ) I am trying to set a keg system up .I cannot hire or buy a CO2 keg in Brunei .Would any be able to tell me where I can get a extinguisher in brisbane that can be set up for brewing.As brunei is a dry country it wont look to suspiciious if I am just filling up a fire extinguisher lol. B) B) B) java script:emoticon('B)')
smilie

Give Steve at Blaze Fire Protection Loganholme a ring 3806 1000. He has helped other Brewers out

Kiwi_Greg said:
Give Steve at Blaze Fire Protection Loganholme a ring 3806 1000. He has helped other Brewers out
[post="115390"][/post]​
Thanks I will

spycatcher said:
Kiwi_Greg said:
[post="115390"][/post]​
Thanks I will
[post="115394"][/post]​

I got my extinguisher from Steve, good job too. It's almost time to refill, can you take it back to Steve, or is there another place closer to the city that will refill extinguishers?

Are you planning to get a pressure vessel on plane?

Latest posts

Back