Fire Extinguisher Co2 Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say a bottle of bourbon is not too bad for a custom machined adaptor. :)
Alternatively I remember reading (maybe it was this thread...?) that the head can be changed on the cylinder, maybe see if Ken can sort you out with that.

Just a note - if your extinguisher hasn't been modified and still has the dip tube in it, its a good idea to mount it upside down so it draws gas, rather than liquid, CO2 into your req.

Crundle,

Cheers for the info will give Ken at Ceasefire a call to fill up a 5kg I got given.

Also let us know about the adapter, because I am going to have to find one also for a MicroMatic regulator here in Adelaide.

Youngy

KGB - I will check with Ken to be sure if the tube has been removed, but others at work who use them have them upright, so I am assuming (and I know that it is dangerous to ever assume anything!) that the tube has been removed. The cylinder is full of gas atm, so I will get the converter made up rather than trying to get a new head and then will be set, just a bit of a headache getting it done in the timeframe I wanted to, but not much I can do about that.

Youngy - The regulator I got for my setup came from ebay from a seller called KegConnections, great price but I am not sure what brand it is, comes from China (doesn't everything these days?), conforms to specifications OK, but I think the brand is UL.

Just not sure what the thread actually is on the regulator or the cylinder, but will take into work tonight and get the fitters there to measure it up for me so I can post what they are, might be of use to the next person who gets the same setup as mine.

Going to chill my beer in the fridge today to get it ready in case the adapter gets made in time - fingers crossed!

Cheers for the feedback everyone, this forum looks amazing for the knowledge in it - can't believe I have only just come across it

Crundle

The fitters have machined me an adaptor to connect my regulator to the cylinder, looks like I will be enjoying my first ever kegged beer when I get home from work tonight and get some sleep.

Crundle

Well, did a quick gas up of the keg and it worked a treat, the beer came out a bit flat though, but I will learn to judge the pressure better as I go along. Going to take a bit of practice to get the beer pulling right, going to have many drinks learning the ropes.

BTW, it seems the thread in the CO2 cylinder is 1/4" BSP for what it is worth.

Crundle

given the high working pressures of a co2 bottle and the fact that they can penetrate a brick wall and kill you on the other side of it when they do explode for whatever reason , i myself would be taking every precaution available to make sure i have a 'safe' cylinder even at the expense of saving a few dollars ... i dont want to be woken in the middle of the night with a rocket flying about my garage on a path of destruction for the sake of a minimal upfront saving ...

as crozdog said , just becoz it can happen doesnt mean it should happen ....

"For anyone in Adelaide who is after 5kg fire extinguishers, call Ken at Ceasefire on 0408 676 720 and he will be happy to tee it up for you - very helpful people there. Cost me $120 for the extinguisher, filled up, and costs about $25 for each refill"

Man this is excellent, I spoke to Steve from the above number and they have the fire extinguisher type for $125 filled and $25 for each fill after that. They remove the syphon tube and say that the Brass fitting to attach the regulator can be purchased form Bunnings.

What I really wanted was somewhere to get a new Co2 tank filled that I am buying form the states, they said they would fill it no problems. Tank 5 lb, regulator, tap, fittings and hoses for around $150 of ebay. I was going to buy 4 of these. I am also buying 100 corny softdrink kegs if anyone is interested, they land here in australia in around 2 months. I sould be able to sell them for around $50-60 ea plus postage. They are in "like" new condition new seals etc.

On another topic of filtering, I was going to use a 30 micron inline filter "pura tap like" you can get these of ebay AU for around $80 with a twin filter. My plan was to put the fresh dirty beer in a corny keg with the output line passing through the filter then into anthother corny keg. then using Co2 on the first keg to push the beer through the filter and into the clean keg. I have not found anything on filtering but was wondering what was the best way? Has anyone tried this?

Good job lads. It is excellent to brew good beers, this will take our 80l fortnight brews to a new level. Ps I am in Adelaide

Your transfer method shouyld work well, and if I'me reading it correctly you should even be able to filter carbonated beer this way. There is an airlocked thread around here on keg-to-keg transfer that describes it, basically you are doing the same but with a filter in between, right?

"For anyone in Adelaide who is after 5kg fire extinguishers, call Ken at Ceasefire on 0408 676 720 and he will be happy to tee it up for you - very helpful people there. Cost me $120 for the extinguisher, filled up, and costs about $25 for each refill"

Man this is excellent, I spoke to Steve from the above number and they have the fire extinguisher type for $125 filled and $25 for each fill after that. They remove the syphon tube and say that the Brass fitting to attach the regulator can be purchased form Bunnings.

What I really wanted was somewhere to get a new Co2 tank filled that I am buying form the states, they said they would fill it no problems. Tank 5 lb, regulator, tap, fittings and hoses for around $150 of ebay. I was going to buy 4 of these. I am also buying 100 corny softdrink kegs if anyone is interested, they land here in australia in around 2 months. I sould be able to sell them for around $50-60 ea plus postage. They are in "like" new condition new seals etc.

On another topic of filtering, I was going to use a 30 micron inline filter "pura tap like" you can get these of ebay AU for around $80 with a twin filter. My plan was to put the fresh dirty beer in a corny keg with the output line passing through the filter then into anthother corny keg. then using Co2 on the first keg to push the beer through the filter and into the clean keg. I have not found anything on filtering but was wondering what was the best way? Has anyone tried this?

Good job lads. It is excellent to brew good beers, this will take our 80l fortnight brews to a new level. Ps I am in Adelaide

Always interested in cheap corny keg ;)

Always interested in cheap corny keg ;)

Same here...

Pok

Me three, i'd look at taking a couple

Just purchased a 5kg ex fire extinguisher from Ceasefire in Adelaide. Ken and Steve are great to deal with and are very professional. I learned a lot from them about the co2 fire extinguisher business. It is unlawful for him to sell a second hand fire extinguisher to anyone. What he sold me is an in date co2 cylinder with a new valve (dip tube removed) and without any fire fighting attachments. I asked if I could repaint it to a co2 colour (grey I think) - I was advised this would not hamper refilling. I note that some other home brewers are concerned about the attitude of thier local co2 agent towards refills. Ken tells me he gets people refered from BOC as they fill his bulk tank and don't bother with small cylinders - perhapse others could contact their local BOC or Air Liquid office and ask for a referral. Besides you are not asking to fill a dodgy "fire extinguisher" but an approved, in date, co2 cylinder. Some people have posted that some valves (fireguard) will allow a regulator to screw straight on but the one I got needed a brass 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch BSP male/male nipple - in plain language you get it from a plumber supplies or hardware store and the thread is so common that your garden tap will screw onto it and it cost about 4 bucks - big deal!

Thankyou Fred (Paul) for pointing me toward Ken and Steve - full marks

Happy brewing all, Ian

Just be a bit careful using plumbing fittings to connect cylinder regulators. Yes, the 1/2" BSP thread from bunnings will fit into the nut on a Type 30 CO2 connection, but they are designed for the spigot to seal against the male portion of a proper Type 30 cylinder valve with a teflon washer, it's not a thread-seal. CO2 cyls sit at 5-6,000kPa and there have been many reported cases where CO2 has leaked from beverage systems in confined spaces (ie, cellars, coolrooms) and people have died as a result - an atmosphere of 3-3.5% CO2 can be fatal. I know this won't really deter anyone though ;) , so I offer the following safety tips:
- Leak-check any connections you make with a very weak detergent solution.
- Where possible, turn cylinders off at the cylinder valve when not in use.
- Try and have some ventillation in areas where CO2 is kept and used.
I don't want to sound like a pansy, but people often overlook the hazards associated with CO2 gas.
Cheers!

Just be a bit careful using plumbing fittings to connect cylinder regulators. Yes, the 1/2" BSP thread from bunnings will fit into the nut on a Type 30 CO2 connection, but they are designed for the spigot to seal against the male portion of a proper Type 30 cylinder valve with a teflon washer, it's not a thread-seal. CO2 cyls sit at 5-6,000kPa and there have been many reported cases where CO2 has leaked from beverage systems in confined spaces (ie, cellars, coolrooms) and people have died as a result - an atmosphere of 3-3.5% CO2 can be fatal. I know this won't really deter anyone though ;) , so I offer the following safety tips:
- Leak-check any connections you make with a very weak detergent solution.
- Where possible, turn cylinders off at the cylinder valve when not in use.
- Try and have some ventillation in areas where CO2 is kept and used.
I don't want to sound like a pansy, but people often overlook the hazards associated with CO2 gas.
Cheers!

Pansy .... No. But please let me sound like a Metallurgist.

DO NOT USE STANDARD PLUMBING FITTINGS FOR CO2.

During dispense the fitting will be cooled by the escaping CO2 and this can approach the -80C boiling point of CO2 (ie the temperature at which CO2 goes from liquid to a gas). Metals get very brittle at low temperatures which is why special grades of stainless steel or brass are used. A sharp bump can snap them like a carrot.

I would not recommend using something barely designed for water by a foundry in China.

Now, back to talking like a brewer.

David

So if the regular bunno's jobs are not suitable, does anyone know what we can get instead? And where we can get them?

So if the regular bunno's jobs are not suitable, does anyone know what we can get instead? And where we can get them?

I am not saying that they WILL fail, but just that they COULD. And we all love you too much to let you go like that :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't bother with the extinguisher now that there are viable and cost effective alternatives like Air-Up and Kegs on Legs available.

Personally I would bother with an extinguisher, as long as you have a qualified extinguisher filler/inspector supply it to you with a valve not a trigger, no dip tube, and the correct thread for a reg. I very much agree that I wouldnt be putting Bunnings fittings on.

Personally I would bother with an extinguisher, as long as you have a qualified extinguisher filler/inspector supply it to you with a valve not a trigger, no dip tube, and the correct thread for a reg. I very much agree that I wouldnt be putting Bunnings fittings on.

Well , I have just kegged my first beer and carbonated it with a micro matic reg that screwed directly to the a 2.5 kg fire extinquisher . Have been putting this off for a few days due to some concerns about connecting it all together but went off without a hitch . Just have to wait for it to condition and a test. Hope it lasts till Xmas day for the family Xmas lunch .

I am not saying that they WILL fail, but just that they COULD. And we all love you too much to let you go like that :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't bother with the extinguisher now that there are viable and cost effective alternatives like Air-Up and Kegs on Legs available.

Thanks for caring BF :D
I did a couple of years of Materials Engineering at uni before switching courses so know what you're saying and that its unlikely they will fail but I just figured if there is a better option out there I'd be glad to know. Changing the head and removing the dip tube seem to be the best way to go, that way you avoid any cheap, unsuitable materials in the adaptors and the reg will be drawing from the gas portion and not the liquid like with a dip tube (unless you mount it upside down, rocket style).

I still think an extinguisher is a viable option, even compared to MKOL etc if you can pick one up for the right price. ;)

EDIT
Buster: Getting the dip tube removed is a good idea, otherwise securely mount it upside down so the reg is drawing from the gas portion rather than the liquid CO2. By securely, I would envisage a sturdy bracket bolted to a sturdy wall. Getting the head changed to a valve would also be handy but if your reg screws straight on I probably wouldn't bother. I have heard of handle type heads leaking slowly when left clamped permanently on though, so keep an eye out for that.

********I take no responsibility for anyone following my dodgy advice*********​

Latest posts

Back