Filtration For Digestive Health?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
A quick question for those who filter their beer (1 micron, etc.):

Do you notice a reduction in general bloat, flatulence or otherwise in consumption of filtered beer vs. non-filtered?
Any before and after effect when you started filtering?

Is it even possible for residual yeasties to chomp around in the belly & digestive track causing the above?

For the record, bloat etc. isn't really a problem for me.. I generally ferm primary (occasionally secondary depending on style, laziness), cold condition at 3C for a few days before racking off the top to keg - I generally leave 1L of beer behind as I start picking up trub. I know that most yeast will flocculate and settle out eventually, especially at colder temperatures, but the process can take many weeks in the case of some yeast strains.

Cheers,

reVox

Yep, yeast is a cause for flatus and bloating. Ahhhh brewdays. :rolleyes:

Yeast also is chock-full of B-vitamins.

Actually there is a tie between yeast & gout as well, so that's another aspect. I definitely get gassy myself from my kegs that are fresh or have been splashed around (transported). Judging at competitions also does it to me every time. All that fresh beer & yeast in my gut = general nastiness. :)

Dont forget Sulfates in the water we brew with. I wonder how much of the trouble is contributed to by excess Sulfates. Not quit the same thing but some people may be more sensitive to them then others. Excess Sulfates are supposed to have a laxative effect.

Never really given it much thought.....but now that you mention it....
Emptied my keg last night, so hit bottles instead, most of which had not been filtered. And yes, I would have to say I noticed a difference. As did everyone else in the vicinity.

On a more unpleasant note, is there a link between consuming live beer and yeast infections (also known as thrush, or candida)? It's something which affects a whole lot of women, and while blokes don't get symptoms quite so badly, I understand we can carry and transmit it fairly easily.

I doubt it...? I'm pretty sure it's a much different yeast.

On a more unpleasant note, is there a link between consuming live beer and yeast infections (also known as thrush, or candida)? It's something which affects a whole lot of women, and while blokes don't get symptoms quite so badly, I understand we can carry and transmit it fairly easily.

I think that if a person is prone to it, then yes, but otherwise I don't think there's any increased risk. I met my wife about 6 months after I started brewing and she's never had a yeast infection in that time. She doesn't abstain from drinking my homebrew, either. Then again, she doesn't use it to douche either. Not that I know of anyway. :D

Aren't yeast infections in general caused by an imbalance in the constant yeast vs bacteria war in your gut [and in another place for the case of women :rolleyes: ]. I know that antibiotics can throw the balance into chaos. I presume that some antifungal agents could throw the balance into favour of bacteria.

Yeast farts a great! Hence I've been banned from using S-04 and W34/70, except when brewing for a party.
My missus got up one night looking for where the new dog craped in the house. That's when S-04 got banned.

Yeast farts a great! Hence I've been banned from using S-04 and W34/70, except when brewing for a party.
My missus got up one night looking for where the new dog craped in the house. That's when S-04 got banned.

Its an interesting thread. Do filterers fart less? Im banned from making, drinking, looking at stout due to my constant flow of gas :(
If there is any evidence I might be able to convince 'er in doors to buy me a filter :)
Cheers
Steve

Its an interesting thread. Do filterers fart less? Im banned from making, drinking, looking at stout due to my constant flow of gas :(
If there is any evidence I might be able to convince 'er in doors to buy me a filter :)

1) Buy a 4 pack of Guinness in the 500ml nitro cans.
2) Enjoy said Guinness in the company of "'er indoors".
3) Repel all attempts of said "'er indoors" to neuter you whilst you enjoy said Guinness.
4) Retire to the bathroom just before bed and cork yourself.
5) In the morning marvel at the lack of gas bothering "'er indoors" throughout the night and carefully explain how a filter will guarantee that you will actually decrease your carbon footprint.
6) Wait until she leaves the house to remove the cork which was installed the previous night. Be sure to aim away from your face. Do not attempt near open flame.
7) Enjoy your new filter.

:D

Latest posts

Back